Thread: Woman battles deadly brain cancer using ketogenic diet without chemotherapy

• Display

Default Woman battles deadly brain cancer using ketogenic diet without chemotherapy

More proof that a ketogenic diet (high fat/moderate protein/vLow-carb) is best for most conditions, from cancer to Alzheimer's.

Woman battles deadly brain cancer using ketogenic diet without chemotherapy - National Celebrity Fitness and Health | Examiner.com

She has been following the ketogenic diet (which is a very low-carb, high-fat, moderate-protein diet) since February 2013, which cancer researcher Dr. Dominic D'Agostino told me starves cancer cells.

This is because all the cells in our body can use both fat and glucose (a carb), but cancer cells thrive on glucose and cannot survive on ketones. So by limiting carbohydrates — which turns into glucose inside the body — we can starve cancer cells.

"When we restrict carbs in our diet, we can prevent pro-inflammatory spikes in blood glucose and blood insulin," explained D'Agostino, who has a Ph.D. in physiology and neuroscience. "Suppression of blood glucose and insulin spikes can be very helpful when managing many chronic diseases."

A ketogenic diet has already proven effective at producing rapid weight loss, at treating epilepsy, and protecting brain health. Neurologist Dr. David Perlmutter, author of Grain Brain, told me the ketogenic diet prevents — and in some instances reverses — Alzheimer's disease and ADHD.

"Carbs are devastating for the brain," said Dr. Perlmutter. "Even slight elevations in blood sugar have been shown to increase the risk of Alzheimer’s disease."
    W 297 CW 175.6 GW 150

"Some men give up their designs when they have almost reached the goal; While others, on the contrary, obtain a victory by exerting, at the last moment, more vigorous efforts than ever before."
    ~~Herodotus

Doin' the "Real Deal" Atkins 2002 since 9/15/2005
    x5

Images

Default Re: Woman battles deadly brain cancer using ketogenic diet without chemotherapy

When will the gov and docs stop being the slaves of the industry and act for the good of our health. If a ketogenic diet is good to cure why is it bad as prevention??
    Induction: done
    Oct 27 OWL: Rung 2
    Jan 1 2015: back to Induction weight 135.3 lbs Jan 7 133.98 lbs
    Jan 2015, as I don't lose weight I guess that 134 in now my weight so I believe that I'm in Maintenance with 20 g of carbs

My stats: Age: 63 years young Height: 5'5" Weight goal was 125 lbs my stabilized weight 134 lbs.

Images

Default Re: Woman battles deadly brain cancer using ketogenic diet without chemotherapy

When will the gov and docs stop being the slaves of the industry
    Never, they need/want the money. Imagine the supermarket shelves without useless carbs/sugar/rubbish...empty!

I'm definitely going to try and get my Mum on Atkins...she might be up for it come January once she's sick to death of the box of mince pies every two days...

Images

What I can't do is get my sister to low carb
    Induction: done
    Oct 27 OWL: Rung 2
    Jan 1 2015: back to Induction weight 135.3 lbs Jan 7 133.98 lbs
    Jan 2015, as I don't lose weight I guess that 134 in now my weight so I believe that I'm in Maintenance with 20 g of carbs

My stats: Age: 63 years young Height: 5'5" Weight goal was 125 lbs my stabilized weight 134 lbs.

Images

Neither of my sisters will low carb neither and one of them is diabetic and one high cholesterol. They eat cakes and sweeties and chocolate...all the time. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink and stuff. In fact I'm virtually banned from 'evangelising' about Atkins by friends and family.

My sister not only wouldn't consider low-carb, she is adamantly opposed to me doing it, even with over 100 pounds lost and sooooo many health issues resolved to allow me to go off 17 different prescription drugs with horrible side effects. She is 16 years older, and has always been the bossiest member of the family (I am the youngest of 11 siblings) and has never, ever been the teensiest bit over weight, even when pregnant. But, her diet for more than 50 years was based on black coffee and cigarettes and as close to zero fat as she could get. She now has COPD and osteoporosis in the extreme, but she is skinny, so she thinks her diet is better than mine.

Anyway, she has tried everything to keep me doing low fat, low calorie, which is the diet that got me up to 297 pounds in the first place. In 2007, after I had lost 120 pounds, I had serious upper body surgery, which restricted my use of both arms. Sis came down from Ohio to be with me during surgery and for the recovery. She is an awful cook on the best of days, so I spent days cooking Atkins foods and putting them in the freezer to feed us until I could cook again. Silly me! After another lecture on "that Atkins' Diet will kill you!!!!!!!!", she announced that she was in charge and she would prove that her way was better. She went to the store and bought low fat or fat free stuff (mayo, salad dressings, etc.), bread, cereal, and skim milk, and she refused to use any fat at all when she made eggs or in veggies. She was livid when I wanted some olive oil on my roasted broccoli & cauliflower (she doesn't eat veggies except tomatoes, cucumbers, potatoes and green beans), so she wasn't eating this. Of the foods I had cooked, she pulled the skin off the grilled chicken, cut the fat off the loin chops, and picked all the beef out of the veggie beef soup I had made.

She stayed a little over two weeks and in the end I gained 3 pounds, but she just said I needed to keep doing it her way and the pounds would start coming off again. I just needed to recover from the damage Atkins had done to me. Sigh--I love my sister, but it is easier when there are 554 miles between the two of us.
    W 297 CW 175.6 GW 150

"Some men give up their designs when they have almost reached the goal; While others, on the contrary, obtain a victory by exerting, at the last moment, more vigorous efforts than ever before."
    ~~Herodotus

x5

Quote Originally Posted by SunnySmile501 View Post
    My sister not only wouldn't consider low-carb, she is adamantly opposed to me doing it, even with over 100 pounds lost and sooooo many health issues resolved to allow me to go off 17 different prescription drugs with horrible side effects. She is 16 years older, and has always been the bossiest member of the family (I am the youngest of 11 siblings) and has never, ever been the teensiest bit over weight, even when pregnant. But, her diet for more than 50 years was based on black coffee and cigarettes and as close to zero fat as she could get. She now has COPD and osteoporosis in the extreme, but she is skinny, so she thinks her diet is better than mine.

Anyway, she has tried everything to keep me doing low fat, low calorie, which is the diet that got me up to 297 pounds in the first place. In 2007, after I had lost 120 pounds, I had serious upper body surgery, which restricted my use of both arms. Sis came down from Ohio to be with me during surgery and for the recovery. She is an awful cook on the best of days, so I spent days cooking Atkins foods and putting them in the freezer to feed us until I could cook again. Silly me! After another lecture on "that Atkins' Diet will kill you!!!!!!!!", she announced that she was in charge and she would prove that her way was better. She went to the store and bought low fat or fat free stuff (mayo, salad dressings, etc.), bread, cereal, and skim milk, and she refused to use any fat at all when she made eggs or in veggies. She was livid when I wanted some olive oil on my roasted broccoli & cauliflower (she doesn't eat veggies except tomatoes, cucumbers, potatoes and green beans), so she wasn't eating this. Of the foods I had cooked, she pulled the skin off the grilled chicken, cut the fat off the loin chops, and picked all the beef out of the veggie beef soup I had made.

She stayed a little over two weeks and in the end I gained 3 pounds, but she just said I needed to keep doing it her way and the pounds would start coming off again. I just needed to recover from the damage Atkins had done to me. Sigh--I love my sister, but it is easier when there are 554 miles between the two of us.
    What a perfect example of cognitive dissonance!

Oh my....that's really difficult. To be feeling bad from the surgery and then have diet that you don't like imposed on you seems dreadfully unfair. I'm glad you're past all that and on your own again. I hope it's going well.
    SW 195......... March 2007
    Restart 172.4 November 8 2016
    CW 166.4 November 26, 2016
    GW 144

Height 5' 5"
    Age 73 years

Quote Originally Posted by Timlin View Post
    Oh my....that's really difficult. To be feeling bad from the surgery and then have diet that you don't like imposed on you seems dreadfully unfair. I'm glad you're past all that and on your own again. I hope it's going well.
    Good to see you back, Timlin. Thanks, I immediately went back on Atkins when she left.

Funny, I have just been unpacking clothes from the move I made a while back and came across a beautiful and very expensive suit in size 6 that my sister brought me during that visit; first because it was "too big" for her and second, as a reward for me staying on her "diet" until I could fit into it. LOL I'm almost 65 years old and don't even want to wear size six again.
    W 297 CW 175.6 GW 150

~~Herodotus

x5

I missed the point of this thread to begin with and was caught up on your silly sister and her overbearing ways. I have 2 sisters who are alcoholics; one has bottomed out and joined AA 10 years ago and the other isn't as desperate. I don't drink around them (because I don't drink period so that's easy!) but I don't discuss their problems. I let them decide what they are going to do. The same is true for what others eat. I don't discuss the A program with them. If they cannot see what's happened for me I have no better way to wake them up. They see what I refuse to eat and they see what I do eat.........the rest is up to them. (I don't want to be unwelcome when I visit so I don't discuss their problems or mine......)

It kills me to see my cousin with all her meds but she also sees what I'm doing......she has free will. Silly person but sugar is addictive and it's how "the men who made us fat" control us. Sad.

I agree that if it's good for treatment it should be good for prevention. We have a family history that says something needs to be done for prevention and I'm gambling on Dr. A's program to be the prevention I need.
    SW 195......... March 2007
    Restart 172.4 November 8 2016
    CW 166.4 November 26, 2016
    GW 144

Height 5' 5"
    Age 73 years