Page 2 of 216 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Pledging Flights Challenge

• Display
  1. Default Re: Pledging Flights Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Janet McArdle Bird View Post
    I did six flights yesterday, 2 at the Job Centre, 2 at sons and 2 at daughters, does it count when they're spaced out? I have to get the flights in where I can get them!
    it counts no matter when you get them in, janet. 1 here, 2 there, another 1 later..... they all count

i'll do 6 today to match you.

we are climbing Bishop Rock.
    Bishop Rock, Isles of Scilly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LATEST ACHIEVEMENTS
    ​​​​​​​​+30

2. Default Re: Pledging Flights Challenge

OK Janet, I got those 6 flights done and now on my way up the Bishop Rock lighthouse with you.

I can add 28 flights to the Tyssestrengene climb which finishes that waterfall. I have 2 flights in hand for ____________.

Sal, I'm assuming you want to just continue on with your Challenger's Choice and climb Espelandsfossen.
    But, I'm confused a bit on the height, not that it matters much with the new improved challenge.

Espelandsfossen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Espelandsfossen (Odda) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LATEST ACHIEVEMENTS
    ​​​​​​​​+30

Images

Default Re: Pledging Flights Challenge

Nice work on the Tyssestrengene waterfall jimmie. I'm with you on the top and have 7 flights in hand for the Espelands waterfall.

Re the height of Espelandsfoss, I found two different heights on different sites, so I opted for the higher (there wasn't much difference as I remember) of the two at 2,307 feet. The old calculation has that at 308 flights, I think (2307 x 2 : 15), but with the new method it would only be 231 flights. If my math is correct - and that is by no means a given (!!?!??) then, for the sake of consistency to the other two climbs, I could climb it as 308 flights. Or do you think I (or we, if you are continuing with me) should go by the new and simpler calculations and count 231 flights?

More complicated than the calculations though, are these wretched Norwegian names.
    Before & After
    Doggie Max's award

F/64 yrs/ - SW: 78 kg; GW: 65 kg; LW: 56 kg; CW 59.9 kg.

4. Default Re: Pledging Flights Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by sallyseachange View Post
    Nice work on the Tyssestrengene waterfall jimmie. I'm with you on the top and have 7 flights in hand for the Espelands waterfall.

Re the height of Espelandsfoss, I found two different heights on different sites, so I opted for the higher (there wasn't much difference as I remember) of the two at 2,307 feet. The old calculation has that at 308 flights, I think (2307 x 2 : 15), but with the new method it would only be 231 flights. If my math is correct - and that is by no means a given (!!?!??) then, for the sake of consistency to the other two climbs, I could climb it as 308 flights. Or do you think I (or we, if you are continuing with me) should go by the new and simpler calculations and count 231 flights?

More complicated than the calculations though, are these wretched Norwegian names.
    decisions decisions....
    i'm ok either way, sal. since you've already got you sig fixed, let's just use the 308 and i'll make a notation on the chart for future use.

LATEST ACHIEVEMENTS
    ​​​​​​​​+30

Images

Here is the Espelands waterfall:
    Espelands_falls - Norway.jpg
    Before & After
    Doggie Max's award

6. Default Re: Pledging Flights Challenge

Here is the Espelands waterfall:
    Espelands_falls - Norway.jpg
    nice picture, sally! that doesn't look anything like the one one wikipedia.

LATEST ACHIEVEMENTS
    ​​​​​​​​+30

Images

Hmmmm...this is all rather peculiar. I just checked out Wikipedia and you're right jimmie...looks totally different. Also, it only gives 246 ft. Weird.
    I think this was where I was looking: Top 10 Highest Waterfalls in the World ~ OK Top Ten and it gives the waterfall as being much higher. Now I'm confused!!
    They also misprinted the meter height...giving it as 7031 rather than 703.1

Edited to add: OK...mystery solved: There are two waterfalls, both in Norway, and both sharing the same name. How totally bewildering.
    http://www.world-of-waterfalls.com/n...ssen-odda.html I actually read this on another and seemingly more reliable website, but then lost it. Anyway, this one mentions the two falls.

I'm sticking with the higher one. 308 flights... easy peasy!!
    Last edited by sallyseachange; December 15th, 2014 at 02:15 PM. Reason: addition
    Before & After
    Doggie Max's award

8. Default Re: Pledging Flights Challenge

Hmmmm...this is all rather peculiar. I just checked out Wikipedia and you're right jimmie...looks totally different. Also, it only gives 246 ft. Weird.
    I think this was where I was looking: Top 10 Highest Waterfalls in the World ~ OK Top Ten and it gives the waterfall as being much higher. Now I'm confused!!
    They also misprinted the meter height...giving it as 7031 rather than 703.1

Edited to add: OK...mystery solved: There are two waterfalls, both in Norway, and both sharing the same name. How totally bewildering.
    Espelandsfossen (Odda, Hordaland, Norway) I actually read this on another and seemingly more reliable website, but then lost it. Anyway, this one mentions the two falls.

I'm sticking with the higher one. 308 flights... easy peasy!!
    works for me and we are on our way!

LATEST ACHIEVEMENTS
    ​​​​​​​​+30

Images

Has anybody ever virtually climbed Tube flights? We got off once at Russell Square and were warned not to even attempt the stairs despite the lift being out of action so we had to get on another Tube so we could get off at another stop...apparently you had to be mucho fit to climb Russell Square!

10. Default Re: Pledging Flights Challenge

i'm not really sure i understand what a "tube" flight is.

but since i have everything we've climbed on my spreadsheet i can say "no", nobody has done it.

LATEST ACHIEVEMENTS
    ​​​​​​​​+30

Page 2 of 216 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast