Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: vegetables are making me sick

• Display

Default vegetables are making me sick

I'm really having a hard time. I did Atkins 15 years ago and didn't find it hard--and lost a lot of weight and kept a lot of it off for years. But since then, I've learned that lettuce, and now broccoli, make me really nauseous. I can eat cauliflower, spinach sometimes, zucchini and green beans. I can't eat kale or chard or collards. Over the years I have eaten very few vegetables at all--I've had a lot of dairy and eggs, not a lot of meat or fish or poultry but some. This change is not making my body

I just finished induction and I haven't been able to eat the vegetables. So I'm not getting enough food, not really losing weight, and feeling sick all the time. I have been trying to eat Induction vegetables but have certainly not managed 2-3 cups a day. Some days I can't get any down.

I feel really discouraged. Tonight I made hot dogs for dinner, and while I was waiting I had some broccoli and aioli. Now I'm so sick I feel like I might lose it all, and I never did get the hot dogs. I've probably managed about 400 calories today, and I was trying.

I may see if I can try smaller quantities of higher carb veg, but I just can't do the foundation vegetables. Maybe I can't do Atkins again, which would be terrible because that's the only thing that's ever worked!

Raven

Images

Default Re: vegetables are making me sick

Have you tried making them in some sort of recipe? You do not have to eat them plain.

Check out some of the recipes here, from one of our own members. I hope this helps.

Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Home

And are you following the new Atkins book, A New Atkins for a New You? from 2010?

Just so you know we follow and give advice based on the 2002 edition of Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution.

what about cucumbers sweet peppers, tomatoes, celery?
    Jill
    I DID HAVE 100 pounds gone and WAS setting up residence in One-derland.
    I was No longer OBESE. Just Overweight. I want to be back there again and am on my way.

Don't trade what you want MOST for what you want right now.

Not losing on OWL? Need to focus yourself?
    Check out the Cheat Free Challenge Group
    http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...at-free-group/

Try cherry tomatoes, jicima, mushrooms maybe use cabbage (green, red or mixed) as a salad base, roasted onions or raw in salads, red are especially good in salads (plus toothbrush)/ Try sprouts, sno peas, raw herbs like parsley, cilantro, dill...I find that adding garlic or melted cheese to most vegetables helps a lot or sauteing. Pumpkin is fabulous and versatile there are loads of pumpkin recipes here .

Once you get to the nut rung you can add nuts and seed to give salads a crunch. I prefer my veggies raw for the most part. look for new dressings or salad combinations or creative ways to saute vegetables that you can tolerate.

i don't eat or rarely eat most of the vegetables that are in your original post but i don't feel veggie-compromised. If you want recipe help let us know.
    ~Slim~

thank you--these are great ideas. I have been following the original Atkins but I think I had better take a look at the update. I am totally committed and I did really well the first time, so this is all a little startling. But I will keep trying!

Raven

Also...

It is important to enjoy your food so don't eat things that don't agree with you on any level, but be open to trying new vegetables and new ways to prepare them, if you are in the northern hemisphere you may find more flavor in the veggies in the next few months, winter has its effect.

Sometimes i cut up some cucumbers and peppers and leave them on the counter to snack on throughout the day, usually my kids eat more then i planned for... not a problem, better for them than the potato chips in the cabinet... or pack the cut veggies in a plastic container to bring to work. Great to have a dipping sauce like mayo or sour cream based, nutless pesto and guacamole work too, tho honestly a dash of salt and pepper are my default.

You can have limited amounts of avocado and olives which technically are fruits, but work great in salads, see the book for the limitations, it's something like 1/2 of an avocado and 10 (?) olives per day.

Try adding cheese, like feta, to salads, again within the limits of the plan.

Add vegetables to an omelet, raw or sauteed or leftovers, it's very filling.

Some people add leftover meat to their salads too.

Stir fry vegetables with meat or poultry

Browse the recipe threads here esp side dishes for more ideas
    ~Slim~

thank you--those are good ideas! It is hard for me to start this in winter, since I'm very much into local/organic produce and...well, if it isn't in my freezer or on my shelves now, there's not much available. I do get produce at the store but you're right...it's not that awesome.

I had what I thought would be awesome--raw broccoli with homemade aoili--but that made me sick. Maybe cooked would be better!

ONE MORE THING...Sorry to be so long winded.

If the vegetables that are making you nauseous are ones you liked in the past, CONSIDER BUYING ORGANIC.

I suggest this with caution since i personally buy very few things that are organic due to price, availability and other issues, but SOMETIMES the preservatives, food color, and more likely pesticides can be the real cause for the nausea, especially in the winter in the US/UK where so many vegetables are imported from who knows where, with possibly different standards for the added chemicals. (yes i know the are supposed to comply with FDA and EU standards if they are exported but the vigilance is more limited if it comes from elsewhere).

If organic vegetables are readily available, buy a small amount of something you used to eat, hopefully on sale, just to test the theory. I'm not suggesting that you buy everything organic, just start with one vegetable and see if there is a difference. Come back and post your experience if you try this.

Bon Appetit!
    ~Slim~

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlyn View Post
    I'm really having a hard time. I did Atkins 15 years ago and didn't find it hard--and lost a lot of weight and kept a lot of it off for years. But since then, I've learned that lettuce, and now broccoli, make me really nauseous. I can eat cauliflower, spinach sometimes, zucchini and green beans. I can't eat kale or chard or collards. Over the years I have eaten very few vegetables at all--I've had a lot of dairy and eggs, not a lot of meat or fish or poultry but some. This change is not making my body

I just finished induction and I haven't been able to eat the vegetables. So I'm not getting enough food, not really losing weight, and feeling sick all the time. I have been trying to eat Induction vegetables but have certainly not managed 2-3 cups a day. Some days I can't get any down.

I feel really discouraged. Tonight I made hot dogs for dinner, and while I was waiting I had some broccoli and aioli. Now I'm so sick I feel like I might lose it all, and I never did get the hot dogs. I've probably managed about 400 calories today, and I was trying.

I may see if I can try smaller quantities of higher carb veg, but I just can't do the foundation vegetables. Maybe I can't do Atkins again, which would be terrible because that's the only thing that's ever worked!

Raven
    Out of curiosity, exactly how do the vegetables make you sick? Stomache ache? Diarrhea? Gas?
    ~Megs~
    242/141/124-126
    dress size 26/10/8
    5'4", Female, May 2, 2003
    My blog:
    http://mformiscellaneous.blogspot.com/

"At a dinner party one should eat wisely but not too well, and talk well but not too wisely."--W. Somerset Maugham

They make me nauseated after I eat them--it used to be lettuce, about half the time, and same for greens, but yesterday it was broccoli, which I can usually eat. I'll spare you the details, but there were no net carbs by the end of the evening!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast