Thread: Moving onto OWL

• Display

Default Moving onto OWL

Right ,so I have decided that the time is right after a really successful Induction it's time to move onto OWL. Gotta say I am really really nervous. I know it will take much more control and monitoring than Induction and I guess I have the normal fear of what will happen with weight loss. So.... I really want to make sure I am starting it the right way. I keep reading the book but want to run it by you guys to make sure I have the right idea.

Week 1 of owl I plan to add 5g carbs off the induction veg list on top of my usual 3 cups. I guess this can be veg off either list ? I plan to do this 3 times the first week, then every day the second week. After reading ,most people seem to say stay on each rung between 3 - 6 weeks to discover which foods you are sensitive to ?

Apart from adding the extra carbs I will make no other change.

I wont discuss the next rung as I want to make sure I have this part right. No doubt I will be back for advice either on this rung or at the start of the next one lol. Does it sound like I have the right idea. ( sorry if it's a daft question just really want to get the transition right. )

Default Re: Moving onto OWL

Quote Originally Posted by shiki123 View Post
    Right ,so I have decided that the time is right after a really successful Induction it's time to move onto OWL. Gotta say I am really really nervous. I know it will take much more control and monitoring than Induction and I guess I have the normal fear of what will happen with weight loss. So.... I really want to make sure I am starting it the right way. I keep reading the book but want to run it by you guys to make sure I have the right idea.

Week 1 of owl I plan to add 5g carbs off the induction veg list on top of my usual 3 cups. I guess this can be veg off either list ? I plan to do this 3 times the first week, then every day the second week. After reading ,most people seem to say stay on each rung between 3 - 6 weeks to discover which foods you are sensitive to ?
    The 5 net carbs can be from either list.

If the veggie is "new" to you (meaning you didn't eat it at all during your Induction), then you add it every other day, see how your body reacts to it, then add it daily and see how your body reacts to it.

I found that using the "blood sugar symptom test" in the book is helpful to determine your bod's reaction because you can go through the test within an hour or so of eating the 'new" food.

Apart from adding the extra carbs I will make no other change.
    Yes. However, if you do find that a food causes cravings, bloating, weight gain, etc., you will need to drop that food from your menu.

I wont discuss the next rung as I want to make sure I have this part right. No doubt I will be back for advice either on this rung or at the start of the next one lol. Does it sound like I have the right idea. ( sorry if it's a daft question just really want to get the transition right. )
    that's fine. Ask as you go.
    ~Megs~
    242/141/124-126
    dress size 26/10/8
    5'4", Female, May 2, 2003
    My blog:
    http://mformiscellaneous.blogspot.com/

"At a dinner party one should eat wisely but not too well, and talk well but not too wisely."--W. Somerset Maugham

Default Re: Moving onto OWL

You are smart to be cautious and careful - OWL s the hardest part to get right and is the basis for setting up your lifetime eating for later.
    For the Rung One, no need to add the extra three times a week, that rule is for new foods that may trigger reactions on the scale of cravings. Adding the five carbs of Induction veggies (either list) can be done every day.

The reason for the three times a week (BTW the best way to do that is by adding a SINGLE food 3x a week not anything on the rung) is so you can see if a new food triggers a scale jump, cravings, bloating, etc. If it does and you notice it after each time you eat it, then that food is probably something you should avoid. If you more to, say, dairy rung and have milk one day, yogurt the 2nd, and anew cheese the third and see scale jumps, it would be hard to pinpoint whether the problem is one food or maybe all three. By adding just one (say yogurt) each week you can pinpoint the trouble issues.

For me, I found that even some "safe" foods caused issues for me. Eggplant does not like me. I can eat almonds, but other nuts cause issues. For some, avocado doesn't work.

OWL is about finding your INDIVIDUAL tolerances. Ask questions, go slow, and you will build the WOE that will keep you slim for a lifetime.

No need to be afraid, just be careful.
    Jill
    I DID HAVE 100 pounds gone and WAS setting up residence in One-derland.
    I was No longer OBESE. Just Overweight. I want to be back there again and am on my way.

Don't trade what you want MOST for what you want right now.

Not losing on OWL? Need to focus yourself?
    Check out the Cheat Free Challenge Group
    http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...at-free-group/