Thread: Greek Yogurt / probiotic question

• Display

Default Greek Yogurt / probiotic question

I went to the stores in my area looking for a full fat, plain Greek yogurt. I only found one, Greek God's with probiotics, but it has 15g of carbs for 8 oz. (I was planning on trying 1/2 a cup.)

The only other options were Oikos non-fat Greek or Dannon regular yogurt, both with 9g carbs I believe.

The Oikos was expiring in a couple days, so I got the Greek Gods. Does anyone know if the probiotics have anything to do with the higher carb count?

If the Greek God's isn't advised, does anyone know of brands in the U.S. that are lower carbs? (There is a bigger store that is an hour away that I shop at once every couple months & they have more brands available.) Or would the Oikos non-fat or Dannon regular yogurt be better?

If

Default Re: Greek Yogurt / probiotic question

The probiotics definitely have nothing to do with the carb count. Did you look at the ingredients to see if sugars or thickeners were added? Since I can no longer find Greek yogurt (Fage) with more than 2% fat, I just use Dannon (full-fat, plain) and strain for thicker yogurt when needed.
    W 297 CW 175.6 GW 150

"Some men give up their designs when they have almost reached the goal; While others, on the contrary, obtain a victory by exerting, at the last moment, more vigorous efforts than ever before."
    ~~Herodotus

Doin' the "Real Deal" Atkins 2002 since 9/15/2005
    x5

Okay, I looked up the ingredients for Greek Gods plain full-fat yogurt and found pectin (used as a thickener), which is 100% carbohydrate. I checked Fage full-fat, which has no pectin, and the carb count is 8 grams for 7 ounces.
    W 297 CW 175.6 GW 150

"Some men give up their designs when they have almost reached the goal; While others, on the contrary, obtain a victory by exerting, at the last moment, more vigorous efforts than ever before."
    ~~Herodotus

Doin' the "Real Deal" Atkins 2002 since 9/15/2005
    x5

Ah! Okay, I'll stick to the Dannon (never thought about straining it to make it thicker, thanks!!) & look for the Fage when I make my next trip to the bigger store an hour away. Thank you!