Thread: About Time protein vs Atkins Shake / Snack suggestions

• Display

Default About Time protein vs Atkins Shake / Snack suggestions

What are your guys' views on the occasional use (no more than 2 servings a week) of either Atkins shakes or low carb protein powder like About Time or Isopure Zero Carb? Which would be preferable in a pinch?

Also, do you guys have other suggestions for quick snacks/breakfasts that can be eaten one-handed? I'm on rung 2 of OWL. My littlest one wants to be held a lot, so sometimes I need to just get something in my tummy until I can set her down & fix a meal or occassionally I have an early appointment & need to eat while Im driving. I have hard boiled eggs & cut up veggies on the list, but those require me to prep them beforehand. Other than string cheese & pork rinds, I'm at a loss. Do you guys have suggestions?

Default Re: About Time protein vs Atkins Shake / Snack suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by ChristyR2D2 View Post
    What are your guys' views on the occasional use (no more than 2 servings a week) of either Atkins shakes or low carb protein powder like About Time or Isopure Zero Carb? Which would be preferable in a pinch?

Also, do you guys have other suggestions for quick snacks/breakfasts that can be eaten one-handed? I'm on rung 2 of OWL. My littlest one wants to be held a lot, so sometimes I need to just get something in my tummy until I can set her down & fix a meal or occassionally I have an early appointment & need to eat while Im driving. I have hard boiled eggs & cut up veggies on the list, but those require me to prep them beforehand. Other than string cheese & pork rinds, I'm at a loss. Do you guys have suggestions?
    YMMV with shakes Atkins or others. Real food would be the best. The protein powders, in general, are not very good proteins because they are highly processed (usually high heat processing which sort of destroys them).

OWL Rung 2 means you can add fresh cheeses (ex. cottage cheese) and other dairy (ex. yogurt, kefir, etc.) So you might want to try non-flavored, non-sweetened, full fat dairy as snacks or to get something into your stomach while settling your child down.
    ~Megs~
    242/141/124-126
    dress size 26/10/8
    5'4", Female, May 2, 2003
    My blog:
    http://mformiscellaneous.blogspot.com/

"At a dinner party one should eat wisely but not too well, and talk well but not too wisely."--W. Somerset Maugham

Thanks, Megs! Yeah, I want to stick to as natural & unprocessed as possible. (One of the things that actually drew me to DANDR approach.) I guess it's more, "which would be less bad"? I don't know much about protein powders except that isolate is preferred & I don't know how the Atkins shakes are different compared to when Dr. Atkins was alive. Does anyone have a shake or smoothie recipe (rung 2 acceptable) that I could make instead?

I'm eating Greek yogurt & that helps a lot! (I don't care for cottage cheese.) Sometimes even trying to eat that is hard because she tries to grab the bowl.

I still have a lot of weight to lose, so I was wanting to work through each rung VERY slowly, but maybe I should move to rung 3 soon because being able to eat nuts & seeds would be very helpful. Hmmm...
    Last edited by ChristyR2D2; August 4th, 2015 at 03:06 PM.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is kefir?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChristyR2D2 View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but what is kefir?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kefir

Images

Black olives were a saver for me. Drain and put in Ziploc, cheese, eat half an avocado before heading out the door. If I ever needed a snack to raise my sugars I would eat a few cherry or grape tomatoes but be forewarned they are high in carbs.
    F

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w7c0zEG/weight.png

Those are good suggestions, Hoping. Thank you.

Great, thank you. Sounds interesting.