Thread: Simple pedometer vs Fibit , Jawbone , etc.

• Display

Default Simple pedometer vs Fibit , Jawbone , etc.

One of the incentives I'm using to be more active (besides the way I feel better & sleep better) is DH & I are going to Disney World next year.

I know it requires a lot of walking (some say they average 7-10 miles each day in the parks!). I want to track what I'm currently doing & try to build up so it won't be as hard when I'm there.

Is it worth getting a tracker like a Fitbit, Jawbone, etc. or a simple pedometer worth the savings? I want something accurate and comfortable. What do you use & what do you like/dislike about it?

Images

Default Re: Simple pedometer vs Fibit , Jawbone , etc.

You are so lucky going to Disney World, is that the one in Florida? I want to go there, except I might be a bit worried I'd fall down a sink hole, I was freaked out by the documentary. I've done Paris and Anaheim so I've only got that one to do. I need to win big at bingo. You can hire those scooters can't you? But of course you're not gonna do that, nope.

I bought a pedometer when I was at Weight Watchers, never did use it, couldn't work out how to fit it to my steps. Do you have to personalise all pedometers?

I want a snazzy mobile phone and a fitbit. Pipedreams...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChristyR2D2 View Post
    One of the incentives I'm using to be more active (besides the way I feel better & sleep better) is DH & I are going to Disney World next year.

I know it requires a lot of walking (some say they average 7-10 miles each day in the parks!). I want to track what I'm currently doing & try to build up so it won't be as hard when I'm there.

Is it worth getting a tracker like a Fitbit, Jawbone, etc. or a simple pedometer worth the savings? I want something accurate and comfortable. What do you use & what do you like/dislike about it?
    I either use a simple pedometer when I measure my walking or my phone. There is an app on my cell phone for weight/foods/exercise etc. It does a daily tally of my walking or steps in a Zumba class. Even seems fairly accurate even if I carry it in my purse as long as I freely swing it in tandem with my stride.

Quote Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
    You are so lucky going to Disney World, is that the one in Florida? I want to go there, except I might be a bit worried I'd fall down a sink hole, I was freaked out by the documentary. I've done Paris and Anaheim so I've only got that one to do. I need to win big at bingo. You can hire those scooters can't you? But of course you're not gonna do that, nope.

I bought a pedometer when I was at Weight Watchers, never did use it, couldn't work out how to fit it to my steps. Do you have to personalise all pedometers?

I want a snazzy mobile phone and a fitbit. Pipedreams...
    Yes Jan, it's the one in Florida. I'm jealous you've been to Disneyland Paris. Or even just Paris! But I guess for you it's only a short train trip.

I'm so excited to aboyt it! It'll be DH & my 10 year anniversary. We never go away & I wanted us to do something big to celebrate (and hopefully celebrate being at/much closer to goal!) We are taking nearly a year & a half to save up for it. And are staying offsite. Disney hotel prices are way too expensive for us.

I think if you want a pedometer to tell you how many miles or kilometers you've walked, you do have to personalize it.. (You have to measure your stride because those of us with short legs take way more steps to cover the sane distance.) If you want to skip doing that, I've read to hit the 10,000 step goal you hear about a lot, is the equivalent to walking 5 miles for the average person.

Quote Originally Posted by mission to lose View Post
    I either use a simple pedometer when I measure my walking or my phone. There is an app on my cell phone for weight/foods/exercise etc. It does a daily tally of my walking or steps in a Zumba class. Even seems fairly accurate even if I carry it in my purse as long as I freely swing it in tandem with my stride.
    Oh, forgot to add. I wouldn't worry about sink holes. It really doesn't happen often & Disney is pretty on top of things. Even if it did happen, there are so many people there. You'd be pulled out quickly. ;-)

Yes, they rent scooters. They are a little expensive, but if you have mobility issues, they are worth it. But unless I get injured, I want to be running...okay, they may not allow that...walking quickly from one attraction to another.

Quote Originally Posted by mission to lose View Post
    How does the app work? It calculates your steps without a pedometer?

Images

How does the app work? It calculates your steps without a pedometer?
    The app is called S Health, it came with the phone. I know there are many others that can do the same thing. I guess the pedometer is built into the program. I have tested it, I will take X amount of steps, and then check the program and it is pretty accurate. I guess it just goes by the motion of the phone moving with the movement of my hands.

Oh cool! I'll check to see if my phone has an app like it. The only problem is I usually don't wear anything with pockets. But that would be a good back up.

Images

Oh cool! I'll check to see if my phone has an app like it. The only problem is I usually don't wear anything with pockets. But that would be a good back up.
    No pockets for me either, rarely come with elastic waist pants...LOL

I bought a simple cross body bag/purse and wear that when I walk and measure with my phone.