Thread: Nannyt here! Blood sugar question.

• Display

Smile Nannyt here! Blood sugar question.

I have been doing Atkins WOE for the past 22 days, no cheating. In the past 22 days my BS has gone from fasting in the morning, 154 to 127. My question is: If I take my BS in the evening before bed, it is usual in normal range(for diabetic) of under 115. Then I sleep all night, eat nothing, during the night. When I get up in the morning and fasting after 10 to 12 hours, my BS is usually around 130. How can BS go up during the night without taking in calories?

My dad died of diabetes/heart attack at 65 years of age, 1996. I am now 65 and want to get healthy. I have pushed my luck as far as I dare. I don't want to become a full blown diabetic, so I am determined to eat LC from now on. I don't want to go thru what my dad went thru.

I have many of the Dr Atkins books. The one I am studying now is Dr. Atkins Diabetes Revolution.

Default Re: Nannyt here! Blood sugar question.

Hello NannyT it is good to see you posting!
    I have no experience of how eating the Atkins way affects blood sugar levels but wanted to welcome you back to your international ADBB family!

I hope someone with more knowledge soon pops in to respond to your post.

. . . .

SW290+/CW170/GW135 Premaintenance Phase F/68yrs/5ft 5.5"
    (Though due to collapsed vertebrae as a result of multiple myeloma I am now only 5'1" - but I refuse to recalculate my BMI )

I don't have first hand knowledge myself but my mother in law is a Type 2 diabetic and she is very true to her low carb diet (as per docs instructions) and she always has higher BS in the morning when she gets up. They did not really explain it except that her body releases the sugars over night while she is fasting and because the body is out of sync due to the diabetes it tends to over do it a little. During the day she is giving her body the proper doses of carbs in her meals so the body is not releasing anything on its own. Stick to your low carbing----the morning bump has nothing to do with your diet, its your body's response to lack of food overnight. One last thing---she always eats a protein and low carb snack about 9 pm to keep the BS steady until partway through the night. Hope this helps somewhat.
    Last edited by chinadoll; August 10th, 2015 at 10:57 AM. Reason: typo
    Jill
    I DID HAVE 100 pounds gone and WAS setting up residence in One-derland.
    I was No longer OBESE. Just Overweight. I want to be back there again and am on my way.

Don't trade what you want MOST for what you want right now.

Not losing on OWL? Need to focus yourself?
    Check out the Cheat Free Challenge Group
    http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...at-free-group/

Thank you, Elizellen and ChinaDoll for your response. This morning my blood sugar was 112, so I must be correcting my metabolism by eating LC, just like Dr. Atkins reports in his diabetes book, 2004.
    In the past, low carbing, the weight came off pretty quick, not this time. In 23 days, I have lost 6 1/2 pounds, eating strictly LC.
    I know that the metabolism problem is the reason for the slow loss. I am so thankful that eating LC will heal my glucose/insulin problem.
    I am feeling so much better and my energy is improving, thanks to Dr. Atkins.
    I am riding my recumbent stationary bike for exercise. April 2, I had knee surgery to fix my torn meniscus and do repair under my knee cap (arthritis). So my exercise is minimal at this time.
    So I have many reasons to eat LC. So I won't become a full blown diabetic, to get the excess weight off my poor old arthritic knees, plus my total health is improving, not to mention that I will like myself again.
    Thank you for your time.
    Nanny
    re-started diet 7-18-2015
    271-265-199

Images

Hello Nannyt, nice to see you onboard. Stick with the woe and cure your diabetes. I've been trying to persuade my sister for years to no avail. I was borderline so had no choice but to get with the Atkins really. I don't want to be a full blown diabetic either. At my last health review the Nurse said keep on doing what you're doing...so I do.

Sadly the losses get slower each time around, but feeling better is the main thing and they do eventually come off.
    Jill
    I DID HAVE 100 pounds gone and WAS setting up residence in One-derland.
    I was No longer OBESE. Just Overweight. I want to be back there again and am on my way.

Don't trade what you want MOST for what you want right now.

Not losing on OWL? Need to focus yourself?
    Check out the Cheat Free Challenge Group
    http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...at-free-group/

Nannyt, just wanted to offer encouragement, too, as low-carbing is definitely a way to keep diabetes in check or even reverse it like my husband did! He, too, found that his fasting blood sugars in the morning were improved by eating something like a one ounce piece of cheddar cheese and a few slices of pepperoni just before bed (pepperoni were probably not the best protein choice from the sodium and nitrate perspective, but he worked second shift and didn't feel like spending a lot of time on food prep when he drove home at midnight, and he could eat the cheese and pepperoni while he drove).

Kudos to you for taking control now, and good luck!
    Start...255
    Current...162
    Goal....140

Thank you everyone for your encouragement. I am doing it this time and sticking with it. LC will make me healthier, Stop the progression of diabetes. Thank goodness I woke up to the fact that if I don't change my WOE, I would have all the heart ache of diabetes, like so many of my family members(my dad and many of my cousins).
    Hey! this morning my BS was 112 again. Two days in a row, Woo Hoo!
    I am checking daily and I am in ketosis and have been most of the time. Burning fat is a wonderful feeling.
    I want this so bad and this time I am going to stick by it.
    re-started diet 7-18-2015
    271-265-199