Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else losing in cycles? OWL strategy?

• Display

Blog Entries

Default Re: Anyone else losing in cycles? OWL strategy?

I wonder whether anyone here lost weight regularly and predictably on Atkins.

Images

I do at the minute. I predictably lose about a pound a night. Probably water or whatever. Shame it's the same 14pounds I'm gaining/losing because I don't stick to the woe properly. If my weight goes up there's usually a reason *cough* Wall's sausages *cough* and I have to get back to 'exact' Induction then I lose steadily again. Don't know how long it will last. Not very long I don't think.

I have a feeling it's more common to lose in fits and starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivivi View Post
    I wonder whether anyone here lost weight regularly and predictably on Atkins.
    How do you define "regularly and predictably"?

For my first 20-30 pounds, I lost about 5 pounds every 2 weeks. For the remaining pounds I lost about 5 pounds per every one to two months.

Once I accepted that my body will lose weight at the rate it wants to lose it not at the rate I want to lose it, I was fine.
    ~Megs~
    242/141/124-126
    dress size 26/10/8
    5'4", Female, May 2, 2003
    My blog:
    http://mformiscellaneous.blogspot.com/

"At a dinner party one should eat wisely but not too well, and talk well but not too wisely."--W. Somerset Maugham

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by not2late View Post
    How do you define "regularly and predictably"?

For my first 20-30 pounds, I lost about 5 pounds every 2 weeks. For the remaining pounds I lost about 5 pounds per every one to two months.

Once I accepted that my body will lose weight at the rate it wants to lose it not at the rate I want to lose it, I was fine.
    Predictably: Has anyone lost weight at a regular pace? That's what I meant. Has anyone, for instance, stuck with the diet and once past the quick pounds that first come off with water adjustments, the person lost, say, a regular pound a week...or two pounds a week...rather than jumps and starts?

We hear so much about irregular weight loss here, which seems to be the pattern, that I was wondering whether there were any people who were exceptions to the rule.

I remember when I went to Weight Watchers, there were certain people who came in every single week having lost three, four, or five pounds weekly. It made me feel like a dog because I was having to fight to lose half a pound and didn't even want to mention having done so.

So, my question is just to see whether there are Atkins diet followers who knew every week they'd lose a reliable pound or two or more rather than going through the couple of weeks without loss followed by a loss followed by a couple more weeks without loss. It would be good information to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivivi View Post
    Predictably: Has anyone lost weight at a regular pace? That's what I meant. Has anyone, for instance, stuck with the diet and once past the quick pounds that first come off with water adjustments, the person lost, say, a regular pound a week...or two pounds a week...rather than jumps and starts?

We hear so much about irregular weight loss here, which seems to be the pattern, that I was wondering whether there were any people who were exceptions to the rule.

I remember when I went to Weight Watchers, there were certain people who came in every single week having lost three, four, or five pounds weekly. It made me feel like a dog because I was having to fight to lose half a pound and didn't even want to mention having done so.

So, my question is just to see whether there are Atkins diet followers who knew every week they'd lose a reliable pound or two or more rather than going through the couple of weeks without loss followed by a loss followed by a couple more weeks without loss. It would be good information to know.
    In my years here at ADBB, I don't think we ever had members who would consistently lose a specific number of pounds per week. For many members they would lose a pound or two one week, then one pound or nothing the following week, and so forth.
    ~Megs~
    242/141/124-126
    dress size 26/10/8
    5'4", Female, May 2, 2003
    My blog:
    http://mformiscellaneous.blogspot.com/

"At a dinner party one should eat wisely but not too well, and talk well but not too wisely."--W. Somerset Maugham

I will go weeks and weeks with no change, and then, WHOOSH.

That's just how it goes.

You didn't gain weight daily, either - you just weren't paying the attention we do when we lose.
    Jackie - Misplaced Missouri Girl, Deep in the Heart of TEXAS!
    170/145/130
    Lost Inches (never to be found again): Waist: -4.75 in, Hips: -5.75 in

Lost 25 pounds 9/18/08-01/08/09, Ended on OWL Rung 6 (had a baby!)
    Induction started 12/8/14 Current Phase: OWL Rung 9 and gearing up for pre-Maintenance!

My Martial Arts Blog: www.thestickchick.com

Blog Entries

Excellent point about how we do pay attention when we're trying to lose. Hadn't thought of that!

Nobody gets fat overnight. It's unpossible.

98adth.jpg

We can and do retain water due to salt, certain foods (highly variable based on the person), health issues coming and going, medications, and changes in hormone cycles, but not fat. Fat takes time to build (like muscles do), just as it takes time to lose fat, and it's never in a nice orderly progression. If you're working out and adding muscle mass, that'll wreak havoc with your weight numbers but you're still getting healthier all the time.

I literally usually gain three to five pounds in a single day's time (from morning weigh to evening) - I've tested it.

That's why weighting/measuring daily is a recipe to drive yourself nuts, IMO.

I learned this here on this board, and I'll never forget it.

Weight loss is not linear.
    Jackie - Misplaced Missouri Girl, Deep in the Heart of TEXAS!
    170/145/130
    Lost Inches (never to be found again): Waist: -4.75 in, Hips: -5.75 in

Lost 25 pounds 9/18/08-01/08/09, Ended on OWL Rung 6 (had a baby!)
    Induction started 12/8/14 Current Phase: OWL Rung 9 and gearing up for pre-Maintenance!

My Martial Arts Blog: www.thestickchick.com

Images

OV,

I lost 15lbs/month for the first four months. Pretty consistent.

Blog Entries

Dee:

You sound like the exception to the rule. Good for you!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast