Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else losing in cycles? OWL strategy?

• Display

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Anyone else losing in cycles? OWL strategy?

I've noticed for 2 months now, I'll not lose any weight for a week or 2, then the following week lose 3 pounds or so. Does anyone else go through cycles like that?

I've been planning on going through OWL very slowly since I have a lot left to lose. I did move to Rung 2 quickly because veggies didn't pose a problem. A couple weeks ago I dropped back down to Rung 1 because I had not yet recognized there was a pattern & thought I was just stalling on dairy.

How does this sound for a strategy - I'll go back to Rung 2. Add only 1 new item, have that the recommended 3x a week, staying on that 1 item for 2-3 weeks & then weighing myself only after that point to know if that food item is working for me?

Default Re: Anyone else losing in cycles? OWL strategy?

Quote Originally Posted by ChristyR2D2 View Post
    I've noticed for 2 months now, I'll not lose any weight for a week or 2, then the following week lose 3 pounds or so. Does anyone else go through cycles like that?

I've been planning on going through OWL very slowly since I have a lot left to lose. I did move to Rung 2 quickly because veggies didn't pose a problem. A couple weeks ago I dropped back down to Rung 1 because I had not yet recognized there was a pattern & thought I was just stalling on dairy.

How does this sound for a strategy - I'll go back to Rung 2. Add only 1 new item, have that the recommended 3x a week, staying on that 1 item for 2-3 weeks & then weighing myself only after that point to know if that food item is working for me?
    That happened with me. Be sure to follow your body measurements in addition to the scale because losing inches is a sign of weight loss.

Add one new food at a time and slowly---and be sure to follow the 5 net carb amount. I had at least 1 "trouble" food per rung.

OWL is frustrating at times because you are experimenting to see what does and doesn't agree with your bod. I learned that even I could be fine with a food---until I ate it in combination with another food that was okay for me.

~Megs~
    242/141/124-126
    dress size 26/10/8
    5'4", Female, May 2, 2003
    My blog:
    http://mformiscellaneous.blogspot.com/

"At a dinner party one should eat wisely but not too well, and talk well but not too wisely."--W. Somerset Maugham

Quote Originally Posted by not2late View Post
    OWL is frustrating at times because you are experimenting to see what does and doesn't agree with your bod. I learned that even I could be fine with a food---until I ate it in combination with another food that was okay for me.

Or how you eat a "problem" food. Cantaloupe was the first food that threw me for a loop, and completely derailed me. I took that to mean I could never eat fruit again. I love fruit. I have never been a dessert eater, so I ate the melon by itself as a snack. I got cravings and wanted to devour the fridge and everything in it. I gained weight that week for the very first time in months.

Fast forward to a couple of years ago, when I grew it in my organic garden for the first time and I was determined to eat it and watermelon, too. I had read in DANDR about having a good foundation of protein & fat in your stomach before eating higher carb foods, and it worked! No cravings, no weight gains. I can even eat pears with no problem, as long as I have plenty of protein and fat in my tummy first, which also helps keep the portions small.

I've been doing this for 10 years, and except for the first three months (induction honeymoon period), I've never had it go any other way. There are few times when proper food/water/exercise produced predictable results. I thought about having "weight loss is not linear" tattooed on my forehead.
    W 297 CW 175.6 GW 150

"Some men give up their designs when they have almost reached the goal; While others, on the contrary, obtain a victory by exerting, at the last moment, more vigorous efforts than ever before."
    ~~Herodotus

Doin' the "Real Deal" Atkins 2002 since 9/15/2005
    x5

Quote Originally Posted by SunnySmile501 View Post
    Or how you eat a "problem" food. Cantaloupe was the first food that threw me for a loop, and completely derailed me. I took that to mean I could never eat fruit again. I love fruit. I have never been a dessert eater, so I ate the melon by itself as a snack. I got cravings and wanted to devour the fridge and everything in it. I gained weight that week for the very first time in months.

Fast forward to a couple of years ago, when I grew it in my organic garden for the first time and I was determined to eat it and watermelon, too. I had read in DANDR about having a good foundation of protein & fat in your stomach before eating higher carb foods, and it worked! No cravings, no weight gains. I can even eat pears with no problem, as long as I have plenty of protein and fat in my tummy first, which also helps keep the portions small.

I've been doing this for 10 years, and except for the first three months (induction honeymoon period), I've never had it go any other way. There are few times when proper food/water/exercise produced predictable results. I thought about having "weight loss is not linear" tattooed on my forehead.
    Weight loss isn't linear - ain't that the truth!

10 years, that's wonderful! Congratulations! I wish I would have known about this WOL 10 years ago. I was just spinning my wheels doing Weight Watchers & not dealing with the sugar addiction that I didn't realize I had. (Breads, pastas, fruit, potatoes - not desserts, candy, etc.)

That's interesting about fruit. I'm assuming the fat & protein help the sugar to be released slower?

[/QUOTE]

Wow! I didn't even think about combinations of food. That must have taken a lot of patience & observation to figure that out. I guess that's why I've heard OWL is the hardest & most important phase!

I lost weight like that too...it was slow and sometimes frustrating but I made it through.

It's sounds like you have a good plan in place so stay on it and let us know how it's working for you.
    Aka Nyna ~~~~I LOVE ATKINS!!!

"Either you run the day, or the day runs you". Jim Rohn
    X 52 X 64 X16

I appreciate that! It is a little easier now that I recognize there is a pattern to it, that it's not something to be too concerned about, & I'm not the only dealing with it. It was getting a bit discouraging on my weekly weigh-in when I didn't lose any weight before realizing this (this morning when I looked at my weight graph!) It didn't help matters that I was weighing daily, even though I only recorded it once a week.

Images

Food combining is very interesting. I've got the food combining diet book, can't remember what it's called now. John Mills (RIP) swore by it and it cured all his ills at the time. You need certain foods to make other foods work and stuff, so I'm not surprised different combinations impact on weight loss/maintenance.

That's interesting about
    fruit. I'm assuming the fat & protein help the sugar to be released slower?
    Protein & fat are much harder to digest and turn into energy, so your digestive system is busy working on that, so it is a while before it gets to the sugar in fruit, and is already sated, so no reason to rush the glucose into your liver.
    W 297 CW 175.6 GW 150

"Some men give up their designs when they have almost reached the goal; While others, on the contrary, obtain a victory by exerting, at the last moment, more vigorous efforts than ever before."
    ~~Herodotus

Doin' the "Real Deal" Atkins 2002 since 9/15/2005
    x5

Images

Interesting post and responses. Thanks for the question.

My immediate answer to 'Is anyone losing in cycles?" was..........................

PROBABLY EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL

Thanks for the info! OWL IS complicated.

Candy
    SW 216/CW 166.6/GW 155
    female 5"8" (shrank! now closer to 5'7")
    started Jan 1, 2004
    lowest weight remembered as of 1/17/11 ~185
    restart Jan. 17th, 2011

MINI GOALS:

195 5/6/11
    190 7/6/11
    185 7/28/11
    180 9/16/11
    175 10/21/11
    170 3/30/12 166.2!
    164.4 4/27/12 GOAL!
    ...AND BEYOND!