Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Atkinsversary!!! 10 Years!!!

• Display

Default Re: Atkinsversary!!! 10 Years!!!

Thanks, everyone! Yes, I do feel younger (most days) and sooooooooo much healthier. I just read another book by a doctor saying low-carb good for a month, but is not sustainable long-term! Pfffftttt!
    W 297 CW 175.6 GW 150

"Some men give up their designs when they have almost reached the goal; While others, on the contrary, obtain a victory by exerting, at the last moment, more vigorous efforts than ever before."
    ~~Herodotus

Doin' the "Real Deal" Atkins 2002 since 9/15/2005
    x5

Blog Entries

Why does the doctor believe low-carb is not sustainable?

Quote Originally Posted by Olivivi View Post
    Why does the doctor believe low-carb is not sustainable?
    Because he, like most naysayers, believes that Atkins induction and 20 grams of carbs is all there is, ever, to low-carb diets. He even, somewhat, praises Dr. Atkins, but goes on to say that so few carbs and lack of food choices creates deprivation, which is not sustainable over the long term.

BUT--- here's where HIS diet is different! Wow! On His low-carb diet, he 'invented' phases. His Phase 1 only lasts 30 days (Atkins 14) at about 50 grams of carbs, and on day 31 you start Phase 2, which you stay on until you reach your goal weight (Atkins OWL). The big difference is that you can immediately dump in a bunch of carbs, including all fruits except applesauce and apple cider. Phase 3 is maintenance, for which there has been no ground-work preparation. You just add in everything else (except fat) and live happily ever after. It is obvious that he never read DANDR, or did and stole his ideas, leaving out pre-maintenance.

He even jumps on the "fat is not the enemy" bandwagon, in print at least, but the actual diet is full of low-fat dairy, and you are not allowed dark meat poultry, and only skinless white meat, and red meat is verboten because "ample studies" show that red meats are the cause of weight gain and obesity.
    W 297 CW 175.6 GW 150

"Some men give up their designs when they have almost reached the goal; While others, on the contrary, obtain a victory by exerting, at the last moment, more vigorous efforts than ever before."
    ~~Herodotus

x5

Sunny, you are an inspiration to us all and we are so glad that you are on the board and friend to us all. We can learn so much from your story and I wish you the best outcome possible with your health, your farm and your book! Thank you!
    Aka Nyna ~~~~I LOVE ATKINS!!!

"Either you run the day, or the day runs you". Jim Rohn
    X 52 X 64 X16

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SunnySmile501 View Post
    Because he, like most naysayers, believes that Atkins induction and 20 grams of carbs is all there is, ever, to low-carb diets. He even, somewhat, praises Dr. Atkins, but goes on to say that so few carbs and lack of food choices creates deprivation, which is not sustainable over the long term.

BUT--- here's where HIS diet is different! Wow! On His low-carb diet, he 'invented' phases. His Phase 1 only lasts 30 days (Atkins 14) at about 50 grams of carbs, and on day 31 you start Phase 2, which you stay on until you reach your goal weight (Atkins OWL). The big difference is that you can immediately dump in a bunch of carbs, including all fruits except applesauce and apple cider. Phase 3 is maintenance, for which there has been no ground-work preparation. You just add in everything else (except fat) and live happily ever after. It is obvious that he never read DANDR, or did and stole his ideas, leaving out pre-maintenance.

He even jumps on the "fat is not the enemy" bandwagon, in print at least, but the actual diet is full of low-fat dairy, and you are not allowed dark meat poultry, and only skinless white meat, and red meat is verboten because "ample studies" show that red meats are the cause of weight gain and obesity.
    Sounds like a book and diet to avoid. Thanks very much for your informative summation, Sunny. People talk Atkins constantly--never realizing they're talking about an animal foreign to Atkins.

Images

Huge congratulations on your 10 years Sunny! And great to read your story too...you are such an inspiration to us all.
    You and I have a few things in common...we both hit 10 years in 2015 and we're both a similar age (I'm nearly 62). Like someone in this thread said...we have to be ever vigilant...but we can do it!!
    Best wishes for your next 10 years!
    Before & After
    Doggie Max's award

F/64 yrs/ - SW: 78 kg; GW: 65 kg; LW: 56 kg; CW 59.9 kg.

Images

Sally was your icon photo taken when you were 18?

Sunny that doctor is just another jumping on the bandwagon. I'm reading all over the place now about 'fat is not your enemy' and it only took them a few decades to change their tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
    We have to be constantly vigilant.
    Quote Originally Posted by sallyseachange View Post
    Like someone in this thread said...we haveto be ever vigilant...but we can do it!!

Yes, we do have to be ever vigilant! I know how quickly my "be prepared" style of staying on track by always having ample legal foods on hand, plus planning meals in advance, making sure meat is thawed, etc., can morph into obsessing about food and when I can next eat. I am better able to put a stop to such thoughts, but they still happen.

W 297 CW 175.6 GW 150

~~Herodotus

x5

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
    Sally was your icon photo taken when you were 18?
    Ha ha! Thanks though Ditto!
    Actually my icon pic is probably 15 years old....I keep meaning to update all pics, but as usual, it's the time factor. It's as much as I can do to dash in here for 10 or 20 mins and whizz through the threads. Someday though, I'll get to it.
    Before & After
    Doggie Max's award

F/64 yrs/ - SW: 78 kg; GW: 65 kg; LW: 56 kg; CW 59.9 kg.

Quote Originally Posted by sallyseachange View Post
    You and I have a few things in common...we both hit 10 years in 2015 and we're both a similar age (I'm nearly 62).
    Actually, you started on my 55th birthday in 2005.
    W 297 CW 175.6 GW 150

~~Herodotus

x5

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast