Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Atkinsversary!!! 10 Years!!!

• Display

Default Atkinsversary!!! 10 Years!!!

I started my Atkins journey 10 years ago, today! What a wild ride! I'm still in pre-maintenance, with 32 pounds to goal, but I am down 115 pounds, and I will make it! I was 55 years old, 65 years old now.

Actually, I can't count how many pounds I have lost, because my scale only weighed to 300 pounds, so I had to lose some before I could weigh and the first number I saw was 296. Later I bought a new scale and they weighed a pound heavier, so I adjusted my start weight up to 297. Part of me didn't really want to know for sure what that "300" number was.

The first picture was taken June 5, 2005--definitely over 300 pounds--the second is self-explanatory

Explanation for the 10th anniversary pictures! I have been having serious digestive issues, so sometimes my belly is bloated. Yesterday wasn't one of those days, so when I took practice photos, I had bed-head and didn't bother with make-up, so the first pic is from yesterday, so I decapitated myself. The next is from today, with a bloated belly. (Photobucket acting up too much to post more)

W 297 CW 175.6 GW 150

"Some men give up their designs when they have almost reached the goal; While others, on the contrary, obtain a victory by exerting, at the last moment, more vigorous efforts than ever before."
    ~~Herodotus

Doin' the "Real Deal" Atkins 2002 since 9/15/2005
    x5

Default Re: Atkinsversary!!! 10 Years!!!

My journey has not been a direct path--like I said--wild ride at times! I just had to keep on keeping on. I published the following on here seven years ago:

Confessionsof a Backslider

12/27/08

When I started Atkins on September 15, 2005, I decided to make it a lifestyle change and not a diet. That meant I had to change nearly all of my eating habits, along with changing the foods that I ate.

I kept a food diary for over two years, logging the time I ate each meal or snack, as well as everything I put in my mouth; from food to coffee, tea and water. I had breakfast before 9:00 a.m. and dinner before 7:00 p.m. and nothing after. I ate nothing except at the table. Those new habits were ingrained as I lost well over 100 pounds.

Fast forward to this summer: I started writing a lowcarb cookbook/how-to book. I grew a big garden and planned to put up as much produce as I could. Did I mention that I am disabled with a horrible disorder called Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy? Summer is my worst time for RSD flares. I was also a moderator here at ADBB.

Soon, it seemed that all I did was think or talk about food. I was cooking all kinds of test recipes and consuming them myself, since I live alone. I was eating so many foods that I would normally consider “treat” foods or holiday foods, even though they were low carb, they were too rich. I felt a little better when I read on Dana Carpendar’s blog that she went from a size 12 to a size 16 when she was writing her first low-carb cookbook. I was eating low carb and gaining weight like crazy.

I was spending hours on ADBB giving advice about food. I read recipes in cookbooks and online non-stop. Reading about foods made me want to get up and EAT those foods, even if I wasn’t hungry! I’m an addict, plain and simple. Soon I was eating late into the evening and not at the table.

I haven't been so much off track food wise as I have been totally off as to when and how much food I eat at the wrong time. Then, while I was canning and processing food every day, gardening and working on the cookbook, while in the midst of a huge RSD flare, I stopped keeping track. I was too busy to stop to eat, then I was in so much pain, I was having to eat in bed with my limbs propped. How quickly we backslide into old patterns. I started staying in bed really late, breakfast being after noon most days, and then eating late and eating non-stop after I went to bed to read.

At first I made myself stay at the table to eat, but soon I was taking it back to bed with me. I started having acid reflux again after none at all since 2005. I was right back to the eating habits that pushed me to nearly 300 pounds.

Back at the first of October, I stopped cooking so many test recipes, which I had to eat, and stopped working on the cookbook, because always being involved with food made me want to eat even when not hungry. I also felt that keeping a food diary and participating on the Atkins forum made me think too much about food. When someone mentioned something good to eat, I wanted to go eat it right then. I love Atkins food way too much.

I decided I could stop keeping track of my food diary and just eat low carb, retaining my new habits. What a joke! I did well for a few days, then it was back to my old habits, just like the food junkie that I am.

I weighed for the last time on October 7th and not again until December 22nd. During that time I ate very little off plan foods--just way too much at the wrong times. I had about 10 days where I ate completely off plan and too much, but was shocked when I had gained 41 pounds in 76 days!

This whole time I was busier than a one-armed paper hanger, with multiple choir practices and programs at church. I needed to look nice for these performances, but I just kept gaining weight. I can’t sing if I eat within several hours before, so I would get home at 10:00 p.m. starved. Once I started eating, I couldn’t stop.

I swore when I donated my fat clothes that I would never buy any bigger sizes. For the Cantata on December 14th, I had to buy a long black skirt and a black sweater. I could not wear anything in my closet!

I have been back on track since before Christmas, but the weight is coming back off at a snail’s pace, as opposed to how quickly it piled on.

What’s the moralto this story? I will always be a food addict. I will always have to keep my food diary and maintain my rules for eating. Even years of towing the line can be blown out of the water by allowing myself to rest on my laurels.

Hello, my name is Sunny and I am an addict. I will never have a “normal” relationship with food. Right now as I write this confession, I want to go to the fridge to put something in my mouth. I’m not giving in, but it is a struggle.

W 297 CW 175.6 GW 150

"Some men give up their designs when they have almost reached the goal; While others, on the contrary, obtain a victory by exerting, at the last moment, more vigorous efforts than ever before."
    ~~Herodotus

x5

Images

Many congratulations to you, Sunny!

You had a rough ride, but you have done it!

Congratulations.jpg

Wow Sunny, what a wonderful story. You stuck with it through some tough times, made mistakes, learned a lot about yourself and the programme. We're certainly glad to have you, and your honesty and words of wisdom, around to help and inspire! You look years younger now than you did in your first photo, extraordinary
    124/110/70 kg

Gifts for success-

110kg- Achieved! 4th Sept 2015

105kg- new jeans Achieved! 1st Nov 2015

100kg- facial

95kg- a dress, I haven't worn one for over 20 years

90kg- a bicycle

Hello, my name is Sunny and I am an addict. I will never have a “normal” relationship with food.
    Almost seven years later, I do need to clarify that I was wrong about that "never have a "normal" relationship with food." It didn't come right away, but I can honestly say that I don't over-eat even legal foods more than a couple of times a year. I have learned to be satisfied with the amount of food I "need" to eat, instead going back for more, just because it tastes good. I still write down every bite I put in my mouth and eat breakfast by 9:00 a.m. and finish eating by 7:00 p.m. I can eat off all the rungs, except "whole grains" and still lose weight very slowly (can never eat wheat again). I can go to family get-togethers and politely refuse carbage and ignore all the "just this one time won't hurt" comments, and not gain weight, even through the holidays.
    W 297 CW 175.6 GW 150

~~Herodotus

x5

Images

I am always astounded by how ugly fat is. You don't look like you in those first photos. We eat like pigs and end up looking like pigs with slitty piggy eyes. It's horrible! I am bloated too at the minute, the bloat starts just under my bust and is solid and nasty. I'm relying on Atkins to cure me of this. I want to be a success like you. Your story is inspiring. You really are an Atkins lifer, it's great. Congratulations on getting to grips with your addiction.

In that book I'm reading, The Fix, a man was dry for ten years when he went on a plane journey and was amazed to find himself accepting a rum and coke from the stewardess, spoiling his record. He said they were so high up it didn't feel like it mattered! We have to be constantly vigilant.

Blog Entries

Dear Sunny,

You are beautiful. Your story is beautiful. And it is positively inspirational. I'm so happy to have come across your story and wouldn't have seen it because it's buried way down there in "What's New"--but *something* told me to go looking tonight.

Brava!
    ... Ten for each year...and best wishes for many more after!

Congratulations on 10 years of Atkineering!!

. . . .

SW290+/CW170/GW135 Premaintenance Phase F/68yrs/5ft 5.5"
    (Though due to collapsed vertebrae as a result of multiple myeloma I am now only 5'1" - but I refuse to recalculate my BMI )

9. Default Re: Atkinsversary!!! 10 Years!!!

CONGRATULATIONS on your successful and continuing journey, Sunny!

I have to say you look younger now and I'd be willing to bet, you feel younger too!

LATEST ACHIEVEMENTS
    ​​​​​​​​+30

Images

Hi Sunny and CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

It is wonderful to read your story. I had a few light bulb moments while reading too. Thanks for sharing what you have learned through your journey.

I kept a food diary for over two years, logging the time I ate each meal or snack, as well as everything I put in my mouth; from food to coffee, tea and water. I had breakfast before 9:00 a.m. and dinner before 7:00 p.m. and nothing after. I ate nothing except at the table. Those new habits were ingrained as I lost well over 100 pounds.

That right there is full of great ideas to help those of us that are 'stuck'. Thank you.

You look fantastic and happy. Keep up the good work!

Candy

SW 216/CW 166.6/GW 155
    female 5"8" (shrank! now closer to 5'7")
    started Jan 1, 2004
    lowest weight remembered as of 1/17/11 ~185
    restart Jan. 17th, 2011

MINI GOALS:

195 5/6/11
    190 7/6/11
    185 7/28/11
    180 9/16/11
    175 10/21/11
    170 3/30/12 166.2!
    164.4 4/27/12 GOAL!
    ...AND BEYOND!