Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Return of the Native, a Page a Day

• Display

Images

Default Re: Return of the Native, a Page a Day

I'm there! My front is roasting and my back is freezing! Before global warming 5th November was perishing cold.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
    I'm there! My front is roasting and my back is freezing! Before global warming 5th November was perishing cold.
    Excellent point, Jan. I remember going to school in Virginia in September in the early 1950s, wearing pleated wool skirts! Unheard of today!

I won't write about p. 18 today because today has been so terrifically full--too full to read. And tomorrow my cousins are coming, so I might not return to the novel till Thursday evening, but that's okay. This isn't a race.

Images

No, it's more enjoyable taken slowly and mulled over. I read and forget a lot usually but the heath/travel/bonfire scene is set in my memory. I am all agog to know what's going to happen but I can wait. I never thought I'd really 'get into' a Hardy book after Far From...but I have despite what I think of as sometimes archaic language. Or maybe because of it...

Blog Entries

I need to do a long session of watp, but if I can get that behind me before the cousins arrive at 1:00 p.m., I'll take a look at p. 18. I like to read, in this slow reading, and allow my imagination to grasp every detail....and to examine quite carefully how Hardy has expressed each sentence: word choice; sentence structure; arrangement of elements; buildup...or letdown...of paragraph structure. All of that. Certainly not with every page, but I allow myself the luxury of doing so, when I wish, during a slow reading.

it wouldn't work with contemporary pop fiction because those kinds of elements are important to such writers. Hardy was first and foremost a poet, so with him, these elements took on lives of their own to which he was obviously attentive.

Images

Reading it like this is something to savour and I look forward to your views and observations on what I know I would undoubtedly miss. Do you like modern writers OV?

Blog Entries

No time to read today. I don't read contemporary fiction. I do not know why. I'm just drawn to literature of times gone by. It's just my nature.

Blog Entries

Now to comment on pages 18, 19, and 20.

Page 20, first: Nothing to comment on because the page itself is blank; it's the backside of p. 19, which is an illustration of Grandfer Cantle dancing in front of the bonfire, with his arms raised, a stick in one hand, and he's jumping an old man's jump with only slightly lifted right knee, but that line drawing of the bonfire is excellent.

So there you have pp. 19 and 20.

Now to move backwards to p. 18:

Part of the beauty of Hardy is always the way he captures the spoken language of simple people. His ear was excellent and in homage to that ear, I'll quote some of what Hardy's ear has captured:

"A fair stave
    (musical measure; my note), Grandfer Cantle; but I am afeard 'tis too much for the mouldy weasand of such a old man as you," he said to the wrinkled reveller. "Dostn't wish th'wast three sixes again, Grandfer, as you was when you first learnt to sing it?"

(n.) The windpipe; -- called also, formerly, wesil.

(This definition is from the 1913 Webster's Dictionary and may be outdated.)
    And on weasand:

Images

Well, y'know I love contemporary literature, some of it anyways. I particularly like kitchen sink stuff, but I'm thinking maybe Hardy is the kitchen sink writer of his time. He wrote about the ordinary people. If I'd been born then I'd have been up on that barrow with the rest of them with my faggots.

You've got pictures! I feel cheated! Part of the allure of Dickens books are the line drawings. I love them. What copy have you got OV? I shall get the same.

Blog Entries

It's the from the 100 Greatest Books Easton collection. I've picked up some of them at sales. They're normally ridiculously expensive, but sometimes you can find them at library sales. I'll check online to see whether there's one for sale for cheap.

I'm still at my daughter's so won't be home to read till later in the morning.

Images

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast