Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Pomegranates

  • Share
  • Thread Tools
  • Display
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 20, 2006
    Location
    The Boonies in N California
    Posts
    8,440
    Images
    9

    Default Pomegranates

    re: the nutritional count on Pomegranates.
    When looking these darn things up, everything tells me that a Whole Pomegranate only has 1 gram of fiber? Now I don't know about you, but unless it's juice, it certainly seems to have a lot of seed fiber to me. What does everyone else think about this?
    ~This is not a diet... It is My Life ~




  2. #2

    Join Date
    Apr 11, 2014
    Location
    Cyprus
    Posts
    3,014
    Images
    22

    Default Re: Pomegranates

    Yes Kntrylady I believe they have a lot of fibre - my late FIL had a horrible habit of peeling & emptying it into a bowl, he would then chew spoonfuls to get the juice then spit out the seed & pulp. The mess left in the bowl would have a greater mass than the original fruit!!

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 22, 2013
    Location
    somewhere else
    Posts
    5,392
    Images
    7

    Default Re: Pomegranates

    They're so exotic. One of my most vivid memories is of Eileen Evans who lived up the street, calling for me with a pin and a Pomegranate! It's not the sort of thing I could be bothered with, I'm more a tablespoon type person, but I liked how the fruit looked like little rubies.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 15, 2005
    Location
    Italy (a Brit abroad)
    Posts
    20,604
    Images
    21

    Default Re: Pomegranates

    I can't see how you'd really get to eat any of the fibre though, as you have to spit out the seed. Been an age since I ate any...
    Before & After
    Doggie Max's award


    F/64 yrs/ - SW: 78 kg; GW: 65 kg; LW: 56 kg; CW 59.9 kg.


  5. #5

    Join Date
    Apr 06, 2008
    Location
    China/New Jersey
    Posts
    16,908

    Default Re: Pomegranates

    That was my thought too. My husband likes them but he spits out the seeds so maybe thats the assumption in the nutritional information
    Jill
    I DID HAVE 100 pounds gone and WAS setting up residence in One-derland.
    I was No longer OBESE. Just Overweight. I want to be back there again and am on my way.

    Don't trade what you want MOST for what you want right now.






    Not losing on OWL? Need to focus yourself?
    Check out the Cheat Free Challenge Group
    http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...at-free-group/

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Oct 20, 2006
    Location
    The Boonies in N California
    Posts
    8,440
    Images
    9

    Default Re: Pomegranates

    Quote Originally Posted by chinadoll View Post
    That was my thought too. My husband likes them but he spits out the seeds so maybe thats the assumption in the nutritional information
    That could be it....
    Quote Originally Posted by sallyseachange View Post
    I can't see how you'd really get to eat any of the fibre though, as you have to spit out the seed. Been an age since I ate any...
    Quote Originally Posted by victcy View Post
    Yes Kntrylady I believe they have a lot of fibre - my late FIL had a horrible habit of peeling & emptying it into a bowl, he would then chew spoonfuls to get the juice then spit out the seed & pulp. The mess left in the bowl would have a greater mass than the original fruit!!
    I did get a giggle reading these replies since I was raised to eat the whole thing, seeds and all. So the thought of spitting them out, never crossed my mind. Sort of like folks who eat an artichoke and throw the heart out, it always shocks me. Thanks everyone for their input.

    (and part of my reason for such interest, is I was "gifted" with a 30 gallon container of those red globes)
    Last edited by Kntrylady; November 23rd, 2015 at 03:02 AM.
    ~This is not a diet... It is My Life ~




  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 15, 2005
    Location
    Italy (a Brit abroad)
    Posts
    20,604
    Images
    21

    Default Re: Pomegranates

    Quote Originally Posted by Kntrylady View Post
    That could be it....




    I did get a giggle reading these replies since I was raised to eat the whole thing, seeds and all. So the thought of spitting them out, never crossed my mind. Sort of like folks who eat an artichoke and throw the heart out, it always shocks me. Thanks everyone for their input.

    (and part of my reason for such interest, is I was "gifted" with a 30 gallon container of those red globes)
    Heavens...I'd never have thought of eating the whole thing. Now I want to try eating the seeds...
    Like you, the thought of anyone throwing out the heart of an artichoke is shocking to me...it's the very best part!!
    Before & After
    Doggie Max's award


    F/64 yrs/ - SW: 78 kg; GW: 65 kg; LW: 56 kg; CW 59.9 kg.


  8. #8

    Join Date
    Apr 06, 2008
    Location
    China/New Jersey
    Posts
    16,908

    Default Re: Pomegranates

    30 gals--that is a lot of fruit!
    Jill
    I DID HAVE 100 pounds gone and WAS setting up residence in One-derland.
    I was No longer OBESE. Just Overweight. I want to be back there again and am on my way.

    Don't trade what you want MOST for what you want right now.






    Not losing on OWL? Need to focus yourself?
    Check out the Cheat Free Challenge Group
    http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...at-free-group/

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 09, 2012
    Location
    SW Florida
    Posts
    4,158
    Images
    8

    Default Re: Pomegranates

    I didn't even know eating the seeds of a pomegranate was an option????

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Oct 20, 2006
    Location
    The Boonies in N California
    Posts
    8,440
    Images
    9

    Default Re: Pomegranates

    Quote Originally Posted by daynalyn View Post
    I didn't even know eating the seeds of a pomegranate was an option????
    It's actually kind of fun doing a google search on the subject. There are definitely 2 distinct schools of thought of the subject. And both sides are Strongly opinionated on it.

    One side, THEY ARE POISONESS.

    One side, COMPLETELY SAFE... I'm on this side
    Considered “superfoods” because of their healthy nutrient content, pomegranates are available mostly between the months of October and January. Many people don’t know how to eat pomegranates, however, and decide to avoid the fruit because of its seemingly time-consuming cutting process. You can save time and effort by eating the seeds, which are both edible and nutritious.
    Arils Are More Than Seeds

    Pomegranate seeds are enclosed in small, red, jewel-like drops called arils. The material inside the arils is tart and juicy and surrounds the white seeds of the pomegranate fruit. When a pomegranate is cut, you might assume the arils are the seeds, but this is a misconception. The arils and crunchy white seeds are the only edible portions of the pomegranate.
    How to Eat the Seeds

    It’s easiest to eat pomegranate seeds in conjunction with the arils. It is completely safe to chew and swallow the seeds along with the juicy arils, In fact, you might enjoy the variations in texture. Still, you don’t have to eat the seeds if you don’t care for the texture – simply spit them out as you would when eating seeded watermelons or citrus fruits.
    - See more at: Can You Eat a Pomegranate Seed? | LIVESTRONG.COM
    Can You Eat a Pomegranate Seed? | LIVESTRONG.COM
    ~This is not a diet... It is My Life ~




Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions