Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extreme Fatigue

• Display

Smile Extreme Fatigue

This is probably already on a thread but I can't find it!

Been on Atkins for one week. I am overwhelmingly tired. I can sit and watch a program or do the dishes and cook, but if I go up one flight of stairs I can barely make it. Then it takes me a short time to recover.

My health......I an disgustingly healthy and have regular checkups and do whatever the doctor recommends. Recently had a small out patient surgery that required an EKG and blood tests. I'm good.

My own theory is that I need sugar.

Several months ago I devised my own diet (foolish) that consisted of NO carbs and NO SUGAR. I became quite weak with a fuzzy in the head feeling. This went on too long and I suddenly had this feeling that I HAD to have sugar of some kind. So I at two scoops of ice cream and immediately felt better. From then on I ate one slice of pound cake every day and I felt great.

Problem was.............then I wanted two pieces of cake. Then three. Then I wanted icing on it..... You get the picture.

Has anyone had this type of experience? And successfully handle it? I would be very interested in hearing opinions on my 'problem' and I thank you for taking the time to read my post!

Images

Default Re: Extreme Fatigue

I'm sorry you are so tired...are you eating enough veg? Do you use a sweetener at all like Stevia or Splenda?

I recently went through a longish period with absolutely no sugar (or sweeteners) in my diet, but I didn't have your reaction. I did find that some veg became very sweet - I tried baked pumpkin & it was too sweet for me then, but I found cooked or wilted lettuce was pleasantly sweet.

Perhaps you need more variety in your meals - I know it is difficult in Induction, but check around the Board for recipe ideas.

This is common. It's called Atkins flu and other names, but depriving your body of processed carbs and sugar puts your body in a snit. It takes a few days for your body to switch from glucose burning for energy to fat burning. Plus, just like an addict, your body is screaming for its sugar fix.

Hold strong. Don't give in! Drink lots of water, eat lots of good fats and eat your allowed veggies and you will have a surge of energy soon. You will lose your cravings and a lot of your appetite. Ketosis (fat burning) is wonderful.
    W 297 CW 175.6 GW 150

"Some men give up their designs when they have almost reached the goal; While others, on the contrary, obtain a victory by exerting, at the last moment, more vigorous efforts than ever before."
    ~~Herodotus

Doin' the "Real Deal" Atkins 2002 since 9/15/2005
    x5

Welcome to the board, lec!

You've got some great advise here, I'm just going to add that you need to make sure you're eating enough fats and proteins at each meal; and eat when you're hungry.

So glad you're here!

Hope you're finding an exercise that you're enjoying that fits your life style...as well as drinking your water.

Take care!
    2/17/2019 SW: 226: CW: 219: First Goal, 4%: 217
    Phase: Rung 1, 20 carbs about.
    Exercise: 45-50, 5 days a week
    Stats: F, 46 yo

Post everything you are eating and drinking, including the amounts in the "Review My Menu" forum.

And call your doctor because feeling fatigue after walking up a flight of stairs is not normal.
    ~Megs~
    242/141/124-126
    dress size 26/10/8
    5'4", Female, May 2, 2003
    My blog:
    http://mformiscellaneous.blogspot.com/

"At a dinner party one should eat wisely but not too well, and talk well but not too wisely."--W. Somerset Maugham

6. Default Re: Extreme Fatigue

Quote Originally Posted by lec3216 View Post

Been on Atkins for one week. I am overwhelmingly tired. I can sit and watch a program or do the dishes and cook, but if I go up one flight of stairs I can barely make it. Then it takes me a short time to recover.

My health......I an disgustingly healthy and have regular checkups and do whatever the doctor recommends. Recently had a small out patient surgery that required an EKG and blood tests. I'm good.

Several months ago I devised my own diet (foolish) that consisted of NO carbs and NO SUGAR. I became quite weak with a fuzzy in the head feeling. This went on too long and I suddenly had this feeling that I HAD to have sugar of some kind. So I at two scoops of ice cream and immediately felt better. From then on I ate one slice of pound cake every day and I felt great.

Problem was.............then I wanted two pieces of cake. Then three. Then I wanted icing on it..... You get the picture.

Has anyone had this type of experience? And successfully handle it? I would be very interested in hearing opinions on my 'problem' and I thank you for taking the time to read my post!
    i keep thinking about your post since i spotted it yesterday. i can't seem to wrap my head around the fact that you say your "disgustingly healthy" and yet you have a serious addition to sugar. you may WANT sugar but you don't NEED sugar. nobody needs sugar. it's a very harmful item to have in a diet.

hmmmmm.... what is it.........................

LATEST ACHIEVEMENTS
    ​​​​​​​​+30

Images

Like victcy, I wonder if you are getting enough veggies. If not, perhaps just adding a few more would raise your carbs marginally (careful though!) and solve the problem. We really need to see your typical menus though.
    Before & After
    Doggie Max's award

F/64 yrs/ - SW: 78 kg; GW: 65 kg; LW: 56 kg; CW 59.9 kg.

Rabbit Hunter Champion!
    U.K. A soldier of life,just soldiering throu.

Good advise is already given,check your eating enough vege,fat and protein,follow induction to the letter.Don't forget your vit and mins supliments,drink plenty water you should start to feel better.
    A once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess.

Start date 7-7-15. .
    7-7-15.Waight 315lb.
    7-8-15.Waight 306 lb.
    6-9-15,waight 298lb.
    11-10-15,waight 288lb.

1-12-15,waight 280lb.
    7-1-16,waight 277lb.
    16-1-16,waight 274lb.
    13-2-16,waight 272lb.
    3-3-16,waight 269lb.
    23-4-16,waight 266lb.

Quote Originally Posted by victcy View Post
    I'm sorry you are so tired...are you eating enough veg? Do you use a sweetener at all like Stevia or Splenda?

I recently went through a longish period with absolutely no sugar (or sweeteners) in my diet, but I didn't have your reaction. I did find that some veg became very sweet - I tried baked pumpkin & it was too sweet for me then, but I found cooked or wilted lettuce was pleasantly sweet. th

Perhaps you need more variety in your meals - I know it is difficult in Induction, but check around the Board for recipe ideas.

You make good points! Thanks. I'm going to start Atkins next Monday. If that sounds like a copout, it really isn't. I just don't want to start a diet when I KNOW that we are/maybe expecting an epic snowstorm.

I was on the IP Diet which I LOVED and dropped 7 pounds in 7 days. Also reached ketosis. But after spending $329 for the first week, I just couldn't afford the $100/wk for the special foods.

That's why I'm in this limbo situation right now.

And I DO use Sweet Drops in Sparkling water!~! And I love it!! I find myself craving a tall glass of 'rootbeer'!!

Thanks for the tips and I will be back regularly once I begin the diet (have the book) because I'm sure I'll need some guidance!

You make good points! Thanks. I'm going to start Atkins next Monday.

Thanks for the tips and I will be back regularly once I begin the diet (have the book)
    Color me totally confused!?!?!? In the beginning post you stated that you had already been on Atkins for a week.

Been on Atkins for one week. I am overwhelmingly tired.
    W 297 CW 175.6 GW 150

"Some men give up their designs when they have almost reached the goal; While others, on the contrary, obtain a victory by exerting, at the last moment, more vigorous efforts than ever before."
    ~~Herodotus

Doin' the "Real Deal" Atkins 2002 since 9/15/2005
    x5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast