Thread: Massaging Kale ??

• Display

Images

Default Massaging Kale ??

Learn something new every day. The TV show The Chew (if you haven't seen it, it is a cooking show with 4 or 5 chefs presenting dishes) was on in the background today, and I heard them talking about Massaging the Kale. I couldn't believe my ears, went to the TV, rewound the part about it and listening began intently. So the recommendation, unless it's baby Kale, take the leaves, slice/chop them up, put it in a bowl and yes, Massage the Kale. They explained it does 2 things. It softens the Kale so that becomes softer more palatable, and it allows the Kale to absorb some liquids/dressings.
    ~This is not a diet... It is My Life ~

Default Re: Massaging Kale ??

I heard about this before. But since I only like kale cooked (preferrably simmered with a ham hock), I never tried it.
    ~Megs~
    242/141/124-126
    dress size 26/10/8
    5'4", Female, May 2, 2003
    My blog:
    http://mformiscellaneous.blogspot.com/

"At a dinner party one should eat wisely but not too well, and talk well but not too wisely."--W. Somerset Maugham

Massaging kale. Hmmm....I'd like to have a massage instead. But perhaps that could work.

Thanks for sharing!
    2/17/2019 SW: 226: CW: 219: First Goal, 4%: 217
    Phase: Rung 1, 20 carbs about.
    Exercise: 45-50, 5 days a week
    Stats: F, 46 yo

Images

Actually... they were massaging the Kale prior to cooking it, to soften and absorb flavors/sauces, et. The raw reference was a side note.
    ~This is not a diet... It is My Life ~

Quote Originally Posted by Kntrylady View Post
    Actually... they were massaging the Kale prior to cooking it, to soften and absorb flavors/sauces, et. The raw reference was a side note.
    I never heard of massaging kale before cooking it! I would think cooking it would soften it up enough. (sounds like an extra step to me......). Kale, collards, field cress, mustard greens, etc. do taste better the next day, imo, because they've had time to soak up all the smoky-meaty flavor of the ham hock. But I guess if you're doing a quick saute type thing, massaging it might help.

Gee.....spring is coming and all this talk of greens is making me hungry! I have a "secret" place I go to forage wild greens like field cress, dandelion, and chicory in the spring and lambs quarters and orach in the summer.
    ~Megs~
    242/141/124-126
    dress size 26/10/8
    5'4", Female, May 2, 2003
    My blog:
    http://mformiscellaneous.blogspot.com/

"At a dinner party one should eat wisely but not too well, and talk well but not too wisely."--W. Somerset Maugham