Thread: Is Atkins forever?

• Display

Default Is Atkins forever?

So I'm still on phase 1, but I'm wondering now, what happens in the long term..
    I know that phase 4 is life maintenance but after that (when you've reached your goal weight) how can you transition back, or do you have to be restrictive to, say 50g of carbs a day and then have a cheat week? Please help.
    Also how long should I spend on phase 2, 3 and 4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: Is Atkins forever?

That's a good question, grackeo, one few people ask or understand.

The purpose of Induction is to eliminate most carbs for a short period of time so that you can see how they are affecting you. It's not the whole Atkins diet, it's just one small part.

As you move up the rungs, which is the most important part, you gradually add in small amounts of carbs in small quantities to see how they affect you. For instance, there was a time I thought I could live on ice cream but after not eating it for a few years because I lost my taste for it, I found that I'm lactose intolerant, which I didn't know before.

As you go through the rungs, the percentage of fats and protein drop as your carb count rises so that at the end of the rungs, you are basically on a normal calorie diet....not low carb or low calorie but a normal diet that allows you occasional treats. We will always have to watch what we eat just like everyone else but Atkins teaches us, one food at a time, what works for us and especially, what doesn't.

You spend as much time on each rung that you want to. Most people skip some rungs entirely.

How long does it take? As long as it takes. I've been on the plan for 8 years and I'm still learning but it's a choice I gladly make because it's right for me.
    Aka Nyna ~~~~I LOVE ATKINS!!!

"Either you run the day, or the day runs you". Jim Rohn
    X 52 X 64 X16

Quote Originally Posted by blueberrylady View Post
    That's a good question, grackeo, one few people ask or understand.

The purpose of Induction is to eliminate most carbs for a short period of time so that you can see how they are affecting you. It's not the whole Atkins diet, it's just one small part.

As you move up the rungs, which is the most important part, you gradually add in small amounts of carbs in small quantities to see how they affect you. For instance, there was a time I thought I could live on ice cream but after not eating it for a few years because I lost my taste for it, I found that I'm lactose intolerant, which I didn't know before.

As you go through the rungs, the percentage of fats and protein drop as your carb count rises so that at the end of the rungs, you are basically on a normal calorie diet....not low carb or low calorie but a normal diet that allows you occasional treats. We will always have to watch what we eat just like everyone else but Atkins teaches us, one food at a time, what works for us and especially, what doesn't.

You spend as much time on each rung that you want to. Most people skip some rungs entirely.

How long does it take? As long as it takes. I've been on the plan for 8 years and I'm still learning but it's a choice I gladly make because it's right for me.
    Wow thank you ❤️❤️ so I see that it's a lifestyle. And we can have the occasional cheat days but I see what you mean.

Are the any sweets or chips you can eat on it lol 😂

Images

Way back when I joined this forum there was someone that had journaled about making "granola." it was so long ago I can't remember what they put in it but I think they sweetened it with honey. I think it really depends on your activity level.
    F

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w7c0zEG/weight.png

As you move into maintenance .... you find the balance of your body's tolerance to carbs. The idea is to keep your carb count at a manageable level but not enough where you gain weight.

I like to think about it like this. Eating a loaf of bread before a meal is not good ... not by any dietary standards I have seen. So lets say you were at goal weight and you found that you could have 1/2 a slice of bread before your meal without gaining weight ... if you had a full slice you would gain weight. Then the 1/2 slice would be OK ... and if you had the full slice you would need to sacrifice another day to lose that weight. The atkins plan is all about the end game in my opinion ... its all about how you should be eating if you were at the weight you want to be at.