Thread: MSG (Monosodium glutamate) - Umami Spice

• Display

Images

Default MSG (Monosodium glutamate) - Umami Spice

This stuff seems to make EVERYTHING taste better!

But is it OK to use by the tablespoon? It is unclear. There seems to be no evidence of carbs, but it sure does taste fantastic!

Is it legal as a spice on induction? I sure hope so, because I put a lot on my steak tonight... but it is not an item listed in Fitday or USDA Foods DB.

I sure hope it does not cause stalls!!

WHAT DO YOU USE MGS ON???

~Susan
    STAC MEMBER________________________Age: gettin' older/sex: F/ height: shrinkin' - Is there a TTAC?

I'm back... Third time's the charm, right? Hoping to "get carded" again someday as my youthful looks return ....I hope!!!
    This is my REAL Goal:...

Goal: Just DO It!

Default Re: MSG (Monosodium glutamate) - Umami Spice

I don't think there is a rule about not using it. MSG is what's in the product "Accent". And it's also found naturally on kombu kelp, which is why the Japanese use kombu kelp alot in their cuisine.

Some people do have reactions to it, like headaches, etc. So be careful and use it in moderation.
    ~Megs~
    242/141/124-126
    dress size 26/10/8
    5'4", Female, May 2, 2003
    My blog:
    http://mformiscellaneous.blogspot.com/

"At a dinner party one should eat wisely but not too well, and talk well but not too wisely."--W. Somerset Maugham

Images

Megs That is SUCH a relief to not see indications of illegality (for induction)!

The MSG is also natural in other foods, I've heard - but it's the bulk chemical I use in bulk (refills for my Accent shaker ) and Goya packets which have extra flavors.

I just quenched a craving to munch with the jamon (ham concentrate) powder (dipping and licking off finger out of the packet.

Never have been affected as you mentioned; just lucky!
    ~Susan
    STAC MEMBER________________________Age: gettin' older/sex: F/ height: shrinkin' - Is there a TTAC?

I'm back... Third time's the charm, right? Hoping to "get carded" again someday as my youthful looks return ....I hope!!!

I've begun to use a piece of kelp (actually a 1.5 inch strip of the dried kelp) in soups and broths. It does boost the flavor. I haven't tried it yet, but when the weather gets cooler, I'll try out what the Koreans and Japanese do. They use dried anchovies as a sort of "bouillion cube" for soups and stocks. My local international grocery store has them in stock all the time.

I'm about 50 miles south of you, so I'm ready for fall.
    ~Megs~
    242/141/124-126
    dress size 26/10/8
    5'4", Female, May 2, 2003
    My blog:
    http://mformiscellaneous.blogspot.com/

"At a dinner party one should eat wisely but not too well, and talk well but not too wisely."--W. Somerset Maugham

Assuming you serious about health as an endgame and its not just about weight, take a read

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-cabinets.aspx

You most likely know of Dr. Mercola and his influence in the world of LCHF. Remember the same people telling you MSG is safe is the same people that tell you loading up on simple carbs is the correct way to eat!

In the end, who knows but if you don't like foods without drenching it in MSG, maybe you don't really like those foods?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Images

Mmmm... Interesting article, but although it had me cross-eyed for awhile, reading between the , (lines)
    I see no reason to necessarily be very worried, unless you have experienced sensitivity reactions. Notice, the article fails to mention at all (beyond the very vague mention of "Japanese" foods) that many natural foods in general such as mushrooms contain this substance. Also, it points to a correlation between Mg deficiency and such sensitivities. Well, that says to me, take a Mg supplement, (just add this to the reasons why one should do this)!
    Last edited by Boonie Stomper; August 9th, 2016 at 07:55 PM. Reason: (I did not subscribe to his product, BTW)
    ~Susan