Thread: Save this Windfall Harvest - Mushrooms

• Display

Images

Question Save this Windfall Harvest - Mushrooms

(( I wanted to put this in sub-forum, "Low Carb Cooking Lessons", but ther is currently no post option?))

So...

I just collected huge quantity of pre-cleaned and sliced button mushrooms, like about 30 of the store containers, that were starting to sweat and go soft. Also some whole ones, that I'm drying. But the whole lot of sliced ones after tossing baby bellas that smelled off, left me with a huge lot to try and salvage. So far, have lightly simmered them all down into one big pot, with nothing added but some wine vinegar, onion and garlic. I'm eating it already, and they are good.

But how can they be best preserved, if this is possible? They are on low heat now.

I can hardly wait for the wild hen-of-the-woods and chicken-of-the-woods to start showing bloom, they can get so huge, advice in advance for these (besides freezing) would also be appreciated!
    Last edited by Boonie Stomper; August 13th, 2016 at 02:12 PM.
    ~Susan
    STAC MEMBER________________________Age: gettin' older/sex: F/ height: shrinkin' - Is there a TTAC?

I'm back... Third time's the charm, right? Hoping to "get carded" again someday as my youthful looks return ....I hope!!!
    This is my REAL Goal:...

Goal: Just DO It!

Default Re: Save this Windfall Harvest - Mushrooms

Mushrooms can be frozen IF and only IF they are cooked or dried. Otherwise, you'll get mud when they are defrosted. Here's a site that has more ideas for your windfalls

http://www.homepreservingbible.com/w...-mushrooms.pdf
    ~Megs~
    242/141/124-126
    dress size 26/10/8
    5'4", Female, May 2, 2003
    My blog:
    http://mformiscellaneous.blogspot.com/

"At a dinner party one should eat wisely but not too well, and talk well but not too wisely."--W. Somerset Maugham

Images

In general, this is probably good advice for a novice. However just as "animals" and "plants" are not all the same, so is true of "fungi". Last year a huge maitake (hen-of-the woods) was found in my DM's yard at the base of a very large oak. After soaking and trimming, I bagged a lot and froze it, and enjoyed it all winter and spring, with no harm to the texture just adding it from the bag to a stir fry or sautee. It still had chicken-breast texture (center part of mushroom, as I did not freeze the edges) and took on flavors of the other ingredients.

(I know, I'm a chronic habitual re-editor of my posts, LOL)

Meanwhile, my big pot of boiled, sliced button mushrooms is starting to resemble mug with chucks
    ~Susan
    STAC MEMBER________________________Age: gettin' older/sex: F/ height: shrinkin' - Is there a TTAC?

I'm back... Third time's the charm, right? Hoping to "get carded" again someday as my youthful looks return ....I hope!!!

It probably depends on the mushroom and how much moisture is on them. Many moons ago, I lived in the mid-west for a few years. I went morel mushroom hunting with a friend. I kept the mushrooms in a single layer on top of newspaper in my space bedroom. ONce I got sick and tired of eating them day after day, I sauteed my excess hoard and froze them. My friend threw them, raw, in the freezer, His was mud. Mine wasn't.

Interestingly, I've accidentally "dried" mushrooms in my frig. I store my mushrooms in a brown paper bag in the frig. Anyhoo, there were about 6 button mushrooms left in the bag and it got pushed behind other veggies in the frig. When I found them a few weeks later, the mushrooms were perfectly dried.
    ~Megs~
    242/141/124-126
    dress size 26/10/8
    My blog:

"At a dinner party one should eat wisely but not too well, and talk well but not too wisely."--W. Somerset Maugham

Images

Not long ago, I saw a blog on the web claiming Mushrooms don't gain weight if you wet/ soak them with water.

No, I did not want to open account to be able to post reply, bu I KNOW this was not the "whole truth and nothing but...", as
    I have grown a plurotus (oyster mushrooms) kit give to me, that decided without my watering it, that there was enough moisture in the air to bloom, and it came out of a weak perforation in the box; and just when it seemed time to harvest, I misted them, and WATCHED THEM GROW before my eyes, and repeated this, until there was roughly 3X the initial volume, before cutting them.

My Button "stew" is turning into plant food...
    (Edit) NEVER MIND - suddenly my taste for boiled buttons has vanished. It is time to finish my frozen wild shrooms up, as I have just spotted a young "hen" today (probably about one pound, on it's way to 3-7 later this month!)
    Last edited by Boonie Stomper; August 13th, 2016 at 07:06 PM. Reason: someone :catfight me for dangling paretheses!
    ~Susan

Images

Quote Originally Posted by not2late View Post
    It probably depends on the mushroom and how much moisture is on them. Many moons ago, I lived in the mid-west for a few years. I went morel mushroom hunting with a friend. I kept the mushrooms in a single layer on top of newspaper in my space bedroom. ONce I got sick and tired of eating them day after day, I sauteed my excess hoard and froze them. My friend threw them, raw, in the freezer, His was mud. Mine wasn't.

Interestingly, I've accidentally "dried" mushrooms in my frig. I store my mushrooms in a brown paper bag in the frig. Anyhoo, there were about 6 button mushrooms left in the bag and it got pushed behind other veggies in the frig. When I found them a few weeks later, the mushrooms were perfectly dried.
    Megs - how did you manage to get morels? They seem extremely elusive (short of spending top dollar for dried, washed, in-the-store ones). Have seen only ONE in my life growing wild.
    ~Susan

Images

Well, this morning I sampled the boiled mushrooms they are still good. Have decided to simmer them down hopefully without scorching, until they are condensed as much as possible so I can store them somehow for addition to recipes later.
    After all, I hate to waste them, even though I do have some frozen maitake and grifola frondosa from last fall. I like the flavor of the button mushrooms, after all; I just lost my taste for them temporarily after eating so much of it Saturday. I use the hens & chickens for special, fancy stir frys, in omelets, and fried as a side but only occasionally, as they are still "special" to me. That may change if the Virginia woods I innoculated (with trimmings soaked with shredded newspaper in stump hollows) turns out a hundred pounds or so this fall.

Back to the pot on the stove - if they cook down enough, will I be able to dry the sliced buttons & their concentrated juice?
    ~Susan

I lived in Iowa & my friend was an avid morel freak. The season is a few weeks in late spring. Anyhow,he took me to his morel hunting ground. I ended up with half a paper grocery bagful. IIRC in Iowa during morel season, you could buy them in a supermarket called Dahls. Dahls also had fiddlehead ferns when they were in season.

I've always wanted to try a mushroom kit!
    ~Megs~
    242/141/124-126
    dress size 26/10/8
    My blog: