Thread: UK - Spaghetti Squash sighting!!

• Display

Default UK - Spaghetti Squash sighting!!

I bought some spaghetti squash yesterday in Waitrose so thought I'd give any UK members a headsup, as we only see them once a year if that.
    They do last a few weeks if kept somewhere cool, so you could stock up on them if you want.

. . . .

SW290+/CW170/GW135 Premaintenance Phase F/68yrs/5ft 5.5"
    (Though due to collapsed vertebrae as a result of multiple myeloma I am now only 5'1" - but I refuse to recalculate my BMI )

Images

Default Re: UK - Spaghetti Squash sighting!!

Enjoy Eli!! Oh but I'm so envious...I've never been able to find these over in Italy so haven't ever been able to try them.
    Oh well...just means sticking to "zucchini pasta".
    Before & After
    Doggie Max's award

F/64 yrs/ - SW: 78 kg; GW: 65 kg; LW: 56 kg; CW 59.9 kg.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sallyseachange View Post
    Enjoy Eli!! Oh but I'm so envious...I've never been able to find these over in Italy so haven't ever been able to try them.
    Oh well...just means sticking to "zucchini pasta".
    Do you have any space to grow a couple of vines Sally? There are pretty foolproof and prolific too (I'm in growing zone 6, have 2 plants with I 'think' 9 squashes)

~This is not a diet... It is My Life ~

I'm sorry to hear that they are hard to find overseas because they are wonderful foods that everyone should have access to. They are one of my favorites and they yield so much flesh in just one fruit that they make at least 3 meals for me.
    Aka Nyna ~~~~I LOVE ATKINS!!!

"Either you run the day, or the day runs you". Jim Rohn
    X 52 X 64 X16

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kntrylady View Post
    Do you have any space to grow a couple of vines Sally? There are pretty foolproof and prolific too (I'm in growing zone 6, have 2 plants with I 'think' 9 squashes)

Yes, actually I do have a small veggie patch...but somehow never thought of growing them. Great idea though...thanks! I'll search around and try to get hold of some seeds/plants.
    Before & After
    Doggie Max's award

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sallyseachange View Post
    Yes, actually I do have a small veggie patch...but somehow never thought of growing them. Great idea though...thanks! I'll search around and try to get hold of some seeds/plants.
    I'll give you a heads up that they really like to spread out. My 2 plants are covering a 3' x 8' section of my garden (and escaping). A trellis with nets to suspend the 'fruit' works great ! And the shade under it is great for lettuces, etc. And I can always send you a couple of seeds

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kntrylady View Post
    I'll give you a heads up that they really like to spread out. My 2 plants are covering a 3' x 8' section of my garden (and escaping). A trellis with nets to suspend the 'fruit' works great ! And the shade under it is great for lettuces, etc. And I can always send you a couple of seeds
    Thanks for the heads up Kntrylady...and for the kind offer of seeds. Actually, I think I found a site in the UK that sells them and mean to order some soonest...trusting they will still send things here, after Brexit!! (though it's too soon for that to have an effect, I guess).
    Before & After
    Doggie Max's award

Images

ARRRRGGGGHHHHHHH !!! We already got our 1st SNOW !!! 17 squashes, almost 63 lbs, not quite ripe. I picked them all before the snow, they are in the house and I'm hoping that half can be ripened on the window sill if it warms up a bit. I do HATE short growing seasons. Rant Over for now.

Images

No matter how bad some things may seem, there is always some good in it that can be found.
    Homegrown under-ripe spaghetti squash for dinner - yum! ~ Eco Thrifty Living
    ~Susan
    STAC MEMBER________________________Age: gettin' older/sex: F/ height: shrinkin' - Is there a TTAC?

I'm back... Third time's the charm, right? Hoping to "get carded" again someday as my youthful looks return ....I hope!!!
    This is my REAL Goal:...

Goal: Just DO It!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Boonie Stomper View Post
    No matter how bad some things may seem, there is always some good in it that can be found.
    Homegrown under-ripe spaghetti squash for dinner - yum! ~ Eco Thrifty Living
    Thank you, thank you and THANK YOU !!! I did a google search before my rant, and the only info I could find about them was to try and ripen them in the windowsill. I will give it a go tomorrow and see what happens. I have some that are still green (like in that article) and many that are pale yellow and not hardened. At 12-16 inches long and 3-4#'s, I have a LOT of squash to try and save. I'll let you know how it turns out !