Thread: 1 month in and a snag. Please advise

• Display

Default 1 month in and a snag. Please advise

Hi all,

I started this diet 38 days ago. I'm 6' and started at 274lbs. I believe my ideal weight is 200-210. I am sticking on phase 1 for another month. In the first 31 days I lost a total of 29lbs. That certainly exceeded my hopes. I weighed myself this morning, day 38, and I only lost 2lbs. I didn't expect to stay on my almost 1lb/day but I didn't think I'd go from that to 2lbs in a week. The week prior to this one was my lowest weight loss per week at 5lbs. I'd say I've averaged less than 5 carbs/day. Should I be alarmed?

My goal in this diet is sustainability once I reach 200-210.

Please advise.

P.S. - my diet hasn't changed with the exception of adding a few different spices which all read 0 carbs.

Default Re: 1 month in and a snag. Please advise

Snag?Sounds like to me you've had phenomenal success! From what I've read the loss always slows down the closer to goal that you get. 2lbs per week is still awesome. Congrats and keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by deerfu View Post
    Snag?Sounds like to me you've had phenomenal success! From what I've read the loss always slows down the closer to goal that you get. 2lbs per week is still awesome. Congrats and keep up the good work!
    Thanks! I guess I just wasn't prepared for that much of a drop.

Welcome to the ADBB, Moam, and congrats on a great loss so far! Your body is now adjusting to your eating style and new weight. Remember that you didn't gain it all in a few month and you won't lose it all in that time period either. Atkins is a lifestyle, not just a diet so it takes time, and patience is a necessity on any diet.

I would recommend that you start eating more carbs, you are allowed 20 net grams on Induction, because eating too few doesn't make you lose weight any faster and you are missing some key nutrients on just 5 carbs. Most of those 20 carbs should come from veggies. Please read the Induction thread in the Atkins Phases Forum here on the board for the guidelines on doing the diet the way Dr. Atkins wrote it.

You are doing great and adding a little variety now will make it easier to stay the course.
    Aka Nyna ~~~~I LOVE ATKINS!!!

"Either you run the day, or the day runs you". Jim Rohn

X 52 X 64 X6

So I lost zero pounds last week. Is that normal? Still below the 20 carbs per day. I haven't been drinking as much water as I should. Does that prevent weight loss? I'm still willing to trust the process. I guess I still need reassurance. I believe I need to lose another 35-40lbs.

Thanks in advance!

Images

I agree that you should be eating more veggies...and more than 5g of net carbs per day, for the reasons Nyna gave you.
    Also, it frequently happens that after the first few weeks of losses one can experience a pause in weight loss. It's as if your body is waking up to the fact that you are serious about the way you are now eating, so pauses to take stock. If you keep to the plan properly and are patient, I think you can be confident that your losses will resume shortly.
    Congrats on your success since the beginning!
    Before & After
    Doggie Max's award

Pledging Flights challenge:
    Never Ending Staircase - segment from 20.000 to 22.000 flights. Completed: 21800/22000
    Travelling Roads, Trails and Ancient Routes:
    Oregon Trail (2170 miles) from Independence Missouri to Oregon City: 1584.0/2170

F/63 yrs/ - SW: 78 kg; GW: 65 kg; LW: 56 kg; CW 59.7 kg.

It is normal to have weeks where there is no loss--that doesnt mean your body isn't changing and will show the loss later. Lack of water makes a huge difference for many of us. Drink, drink, and drink some more---plain water. It helps flush things out and keeps the losses coming
    Jill
    I DID HAVE 100 pounds gone and WAS setting up residence in One-derland.
    I was No longer OBESE. Just Overweight. I want to be back there again and am on my way.

Don't trade what you want MOST for what you want right now.

Not losing on OWL? Need to focus yourself?
    Check out the Cheat Free Challenge Group
    http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...at-free-group/

2 lbs loss per week is normal after the initial grand loss. That means you will most likely hit goal within a year and probably sooner if you include exercise. Don't be surprised though if you lose 2 lbs. one week, 1 lb the next week, 3 lbs the next week, 0 lbs the next week, etc... Your body is the boss. It decides when it wants to lose and how fast. Your job is to stay the course and trust that you will reach your goal when you body is ready to. There is one clue that I like to look at to know if I'm still doing things right and that is the 'gain'. If I am not gaining (which is normal when I am not on Atkins) then I know my body is working hard on losing that very next pound. Also, the closer you get to your optimal weight, the harder it is to lose those pounds. They have been around a long time, and they like being just where they are. That's where the mental part comes in. You against them. You are doing great. Keep doing exactly what you are doing (feel free to do better!) and those stubborn pounds will give in and go away eventually.
    F/53/5'2" - 249/179/129
    Start Date: 2003

Mini goals:
    1st - 25 lbs down (met)
    2nd - ONEderland
    3rd - Halfway there (met)