Thread: Ketosis and loss of fat.

• Display

Default Ketosis and loss of fat.

I would like to confirm a principle about ketosis.
    Dr Atkins found out that back in 1960 that Kekwick, Gaston and Pawan did experiments on low carbohydrate diets and found ketosis has brought about mainly loss of body fat.

As they also found that on a 1000 calorie low fat diet (eg 100C 40P and 27F) that loss of weight occurred. As would any combination of carbs, protein and fat with only 1000 calories.

Here is my problem. On a 1000 calorie and 100 grams of carbs intake, a deficit of energy will result and cause the body to deplete the glycogen stores and then do what? There are so much carbs consumed that the considerable insulin in the body will prevent entering the liposysis process and ketosis. Since the lipolysis process cannot start, body fat cannot be used for the extra energy required. I believe, that the body will start to use muscle tissue to supply the energy deficit.

Therefore, there cannot be any fat loss without being in ketosis (produced by the lipolysis process). Conversely, there must be fat loss while in ketosis?

Am I correct in these assumptions?

If this is correct, this has been known since 1960, what made the nutrition and medical industry recommended the low fat (high carb) diets for all these years?

Default Re: Ketosis and loss of fat.

Quote Originally Posted by fhutt View Post
    If this is correct, this has been known since 1960, what made the nutrition and medical industry recommended the low fat (high carb) diets for all these years?
    Read up on Ancel Keys.

~Megs~
    242/141/124-126
    dress size 26/10/8
    5'4", Female, May 2, 2003
    My blog:
    http://mformiscellaneous.blogspot.com/

"At a dinner party one should eat wisely but not too well, and talk well but not too wisely."--W. Somerset Maugham

Thank you not2late for finding the source of the reason for the acceptance of low fat diets.

However, of more importance (to me) is, are my assumptions about ketosis correct :-

a) that - On a 1000 calorie and 100 grams of carbs intake the body cannot enter ketosis.

and

b) that - "there cannot be any fat loss without being in ketosis (produced by the lipolysis process). Conversely, there must be fat loss while in ketosis?"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fhutt View Post
    Thank you not2late for finding the source of the reason for the acceptance of low fat diets.

However, of more importance (to me) is, are my assumptions about ketosis correct :-

a) that - On a 1000 calorie and 100 grams of carbs intake the body cannot enter ketosis.
    That would be 40% of the calorie total. Depending on your body's carb tolerance, you might be in ketosis or you might not be in ketosis. As we progress through Atkins, we increase our carbohydrate intake. By the time, we're in Maintenance Phase, our protein-carb to fat calorie ratio is nearly 50-50.

(I know you're using 1000 calories to make arithmetic easier because most people would lose weight on 1000 cals/day!)

b) that - "there cannot be any fat loss without being in ketosis (produced by the lipolysis process). Conversely, there must be fat loss while in ketosis?"

Thanks
    Lipolysis just means fat is being broken down/metabolized. So even in low fat/high carb diets, you will lose fat via lipolysis.
    ~Megs~
    242/141/124-126
    dress size 26/10/8
    5'4", Female, May 2, 2003
    My blog:
    http://mformiscellaneous.blogspot.com/

"At a dinner party one should eat wisely but not too well, and talk well but not too wisely."--W. Somerset Maugham

So, I guess both of my assumption were incorrect.
    I need to do more reading to understand how it all works.
    Thanks

I understand that while in ketosis, muscle may be built and water may be stored. Therefore, it is possible to lose fat while not losing weight. However, I am still having trouble finding the answer to the second part of my second question:
    "b) that - ..... Conversely, there must be fat loss while in ketosis?"

Is this correct?
    Thanks