Thread: Advice for hiking weekend

• Display

Default Advice for hiking weekend

Hi all,

I am on day 7 of induction and this weekend I will be going hiking this weekend and I'm pretty sure there won't be any induction friendly meals. I'm wondering what tips you guys can give me on what I can carry that will give me energy isn't too bulky nor heavy.

i don't want to have to go off the plan during the hike.

thanks

Di
    ps I don't have access to Atkins bars or products. Th suggestions must be natural easy to find foods

re-start, 6/10/17 CW - 198 GW -125
    re-start, 5/6/16 start weight 187 CW 180.4 GW 125
    re-start, 2/16/09 CW- 171.2 GW-125

"I've fallen off but I'll keep climbing back on with more determination and understanding of this way of life."

Goal 1~ 11 pounds

Default Re: Advice for hiking weekend

hi Di! Welcome back to your international ADBB family!

I find that hardboiled eggs keep for a couple of days and are a good source of fat and protein. Cheese crackers made by baking or microwaving square slices or small heaps of grated cheese till crispy are good portable snack food too.

Not sure how to get most of your net carbs from vegetables on induction? Read our latest "Eat your Vegetables" challenge thread to learn how we did it!
    http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.com/forums/annual-semi-annual-challenges/120246-november-2016-veggie-challenge.html

. . . .

SW290+/CW170/GW135 Premaintenance Phase F/62yrs/5ft 5.5"
    (Though due to collapsing vertebrae as a result of multiple myeloma I am now only 5'1" - but I refuse to recalculate my BMI )

Images

Hi and welcome back!
    My fav 'on the go' portable meal is a slice or two of veggie frittata....Then cheese, tomatoes, olives and cold meats. Slip in a can of tuna, in case anything goes off later in the weekend.
    Enjoy your hike!
    Before & After
    Doggie Max's award

Pledging Flights challenge:
    Never Ending Staircase - segment from 20.000 to 22.000 flights. Completed: 21729/22000
    Travelling Roads, Trails and Ancient Routes:
    Oregon Trail (2170 miles) from Independence Missouri to Oregon City: 1571.4/2170

F/63 yrs/ - SW: 78 kg; GW: 65 kg; LW: 56 kg; CW 59.7 kg.

Thank you sally and elizellen. Do you have a good recipe for veggie frittata?

Thank you again

re-start, 6/10/17 CW - 198 GW -125
    re-start, 5/6/16 start weight 187 CW 180.4 GW 125
    re-start, 2/16/09 CW- 171.2 GW-125

"I've fallen off but I'll keep climbing back on with more determination and understanding of this way of life."

Goal 1~ 11 pounds

Quote Originally Posted by ditien View Post
    Hi all,

I am on day 7 of induction and this weekend I will be going hiking this weekend and I'm pretty sure there won't be any induction friendly meals. I'm wondering what tips you guys can give me on what I can carry that will give me energy isn't too bulky nor heavy.

i don't want to have to go off the plan during the hike.

thanks

Di
    ps I don't have access to Atkins bars or products. Th suggestions must be natural easy to find foods
    Here are 2 threads that might be helpful.

http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...ad.php?t=10818
    http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...ad.php?t=10817

I've found that bacon--cooked crispy---is a wonderful snack for hikes. You can also buy tuna in the foil packets, which are lighter weight than cans.

In terms of veggies, mini cucumbers, mini sweet peppers, even grape tomatoes (in a small plastic container) and raw snow peas. It's best to bring whole, uncut veggies because they travel better than the ones that are already prepared. So that's why I suggest the mini versions.

Hard cheeses, like Elizellen suggested. are good.

Have fun!
    ~Megs~
    242/141/124-126
    dress size 26/10/8
    5'4", Female, May 2, 2003
    My blog:
    http://mformiscellaneous.blogspot.com/

"At a dinner party one should eat wisely but not too well, and talk well but not too wisely."--W. Somerset Maugham

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ditien View Post
    Thank you sally and elizellen. Do you have a good recipe for veggie frittata?

Thank you again
    Ditien I usually make frittatas with leftover cooked veggies (that have usually been tossed in oil and garlic for a side dish). However, as long as the veggies are cooked you wouldn't need to do the garlic (and chili if you like it) toss, though this does add to the all round flavour.

Basically, I beat up about five eggs and add salt to taste and a large handful of grated parmesan cheese. Then I put the cooked veggies in an oiled pan (dinner plate sized) and add the egg/cheese mixture. Stir it around to break up the egg a bit as it cooks on the gas and then leave still while it cooks almost (but not quite) through and is browned on the bottom. Make sure the underside of the frittata is unstuck from the pan (non-stick pan useful here) with a spatula. Then cover with the dinner plate and overturn pan and plate together (do this over a countertop, not the floor, if it's your first time in case it falls to the floor...which once happened to me!) so then the frittata sits on the plate. Reheat pan with a little more oil if necessary, but with non stick cookware you might not need to for the second side. Slide the frittata from the plate back into the pan to cook the other side until browned. Then, as before, overturn it onto the plate.

Good eaten at room temperature or luke warm. It will be lovely and spongy until it cools a bit, and subsides...this is normal.

Veggies I commomly use - tossed, rather than boiled - are: cooked diced zucchini (make sure they are not too wet); cooked diced eggplant; Finely chopped cooked spinach; diced carrot and celery mix (cooked in butter); finely sliced onion and bacon bits; but you could use whatever you fancy.

Traditionally Italians add milk to the eggs for their frittatas, but I leave this out as it's too carby. No real difference; the parmesan is vital though.

Have fun!
    Before & After
    Doggie Max's award

Pledging Flights challenge:
    Never Ending Staircase - segment from 20.000 to 22.000 flights. Completed: 21729/22000
    Travelling Roads, Trails and Ancient Routes:
    Oregon Trail (2170 miles) from Independence Missouri to Oregon City: 1571.4/2170

F/63 yrs/ - SW: 78 kg; GW: 65 kg; LW: 56 kg; CW 59.7 kg.