Thread: Running Buddy

• Display

Default Running Buddy

I am planning to take my Golden Retriever for a jog on a daily basis. I want to ensure that she is safe and at the same time, no person will be harm. I have seen a lot of beautiful dog leash online but I am wondering whether to buy a harness or a collar. Which do you actually prefer when running with a pet?

2. Default Re: Running Buddy

i don't run and i don't have a dog but i know sallyseachange takes her walking buddy with her daily on a couple of walks. i'll alert her to this thread and maybe she can add some advice or comments.

LATEST ACHIEVEMENTS
    ​​​​​​​​+30

Images

Default Re: Running Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by simplymckenzie View Post
    I am planning to take my Golden Retriever for a jog on a daily basis. I want to ensure that she is safe and at the same time, no person will be harm. I have seen a lot of beautiful dog leash online but I am wondering whether to buy a harness or a collar. Which do you actually prefer when running with a pet?
    Hi Mckenzie. Aren't dogs the best 'treadmills' ever? No getting out of walking or running those pleading eyes.
    I've walked my dogs for many years now (though I'm sadly, dogless at the moment). I can't really offer any useful advice though as where I am it's mainly fields, woods and open countryside where I rarely meet another person, let alone another dog (just the odd wild boar!). So, I walk my dogs mostly off leash. However, when I cross the village I do have them on one of those extendible leashes on a spring, just in case.
    The dangers in my area are to the dogs rather than people, and are from hunters who at certain times of year put down poison, and vipers...but I take the view that it's a choice between quality of life vs. possible length of it. Not an easy balancing act and luck comes into it a great deal.
    I've seen many Labradors and Golden Retrievers (wonderful dogs!) walked in town with harnesses, but am not really sure what is the best option.
    Anyway...enjoy those runs. I'm sure your dog will!
    Before & After
    Doggie Max's award

F/64 yrs/ - SW: 78 kg; GW: 65 kg; LW: 56 kg; CW 59.9 kg.

Default Re: Running Buddy

Thank you guys for the great suggestion,l will try to visit a local pet store and to see which dog harness is the best for safety purpose.