Thread: Question about shakes and blood sugar

• Display

Default Question about shakes and blood sugar

I am not diabetic, but am touchy when it comes to sweets. I've read on several sites that sugar alcohols in the shakes can cause your BS to rise? Anybody ever put that to the test? I have the shakes here, but don't want to use them if they raise my BS. Same goes with the bars, etc.. I read that they do raise BS levels.

Default Re: Question about shakes and blood sugar

I believe it’s an individual thing. Some people digest sugar alcohols better than others, and if you digest them they can raise blood sugar. One way to tell is whether or not you get cramps, diarrhea, etc. when you over indulge. If you do, it’s because of yeast/bacteria overgrowth in your intestines due to the presence of large amounts of undigested sugar alcohols. If you don’t, you are probably digesting the SAs.

Default Re: Question about shakes and blood sugar

I have the BS equipment here due to having a dog with diabetes so I can check it myself. I did a two day glucose curve and I'm normal thank God! Now just need to get on Atkins again. Takes me 3 days to get regular sugar out of my body so I don't have a craving for it. Tough 3 days for sure.