Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Atkins Journey Take two

• Display

Blog Entries
    Images

Default Re: Atkins Journey Take two

Weather turned nasty so I went to a gym for my walking. Weighed myself there at 83.4 kg. More than I thought I weighed. But there we are.

They have a nice walking track there but it is boring to go in circles. I like the outdoors. Once in a while it is fine. I can do drop ins so that is that for now.

So maybe I went overboard with all the exercise and was a bit hungry but good. I ate out of hunger not gluttony like the day before. I ate two eggs, jarlsberg cheese and half avocado first and then chickenbreast, compound butter, and veggies with dip and almond milk. Had 5 grams of Lindt with my coffee for dessert. Later I had a snack of porkrind nachos and 5 almonds. I guess almonds will be my add on this week. I will stick with 5. All in all it was 1450 calories and 21 carbs.

I did some stomach exercises. That is a weak spot. I can hardly do a situp at this point. Need to start working some of those in. Have started on pushups using my kitchen stove and that is betting better. Otherwise it is bicep curls and tricep presses. Some lateral raises and overhead presses. All with free weights. Squats for lower body

Blog Entries
    Images

Today
    Eggs
    Mayo
    Avocado 1/2

Pork meatballs in cream sauce
    cauliflower
    almonds 5
    almond milk 1 cup
    Lindt 90% 5 gr

136 fat, 13 netcarbs, 72 protein Macros 72/7/19 1514 calories
    (only if I eyeballed some of it correctly LOL)

Walked about 7K - did some hill training but not that much, no strength

Nice on the 7K -- I am dragging my feet on that (it's been raining here and I just havent been motivated to get out there yet) When I start weights, I pick one area for a quick ten minute session to start (like 3x15 of dumbbell chest presses and 3x15 dumbell bent over rows) It is quick, easy to psych up for, and it just gets things rolling. Then I build slowly. I don;t want to be sitting there for an hour doing weights. I break it up into Chest/Back; Shoulders and Arms; Legs and Lower Back (deadlift) and rotate each day. None of the workouts run more than 20-25 minutes.
    Jill

Back in ONEderland as of 7/27/2020!

I was No longer OBESE. Just Overweight. I want to be back there again and am on my way. Last time I went from 300 to 189.
    Current: 253.6/191.8/169 or a size 10 is the GOAL

Don't trade what you want MOST for what you want right now.

Daily Checklist: 88 oz water daily - 90% of carbs from veggies - honoring dairy limits - weight work - cardio

Blog Entries
    Images

I like the rotating as well. Right now I am dabbling with weights. Not going too hard. So I have been doing them together with some Leslie walking videos. It is more toning at this point. I just want to make sure my joints and bones strengthen enough to be able to handle it. Walking is safe I feel so I am really doing that. And I enjoy it.

Eating was good
    Had
    eggs, cheese, mayo bacon
    porkmeatballs with onions and mushrooms
    lots of jicama for veggie

And then some cream cheese, almonds and one strawberry
    a few porkrinds

Only water and coffee to drink today
    Cal 1680 fat 139 protein 78 carbs 17 (most from veggies today) 75/6/19

so jealous --- the jicama in the stores here looks terrible and lots of times it has the waxy coating on it. I picked up pork rinds yesterday for when I want something crunchy.
    Jill

I was No longer OBESE. Just Overweight. I want to be back there again and am on my way. Last time I went from 300 to 189.

Daily Checklist: 88 oz water daily - 90% of carbs from veggies - honoring dairy limits - weight work - cardio

Blog Entries
    Images

In what hemisphere are you now Jill? The jicama I got was very nice.

Good day eating, eggs, cheese, jicama, chicken, ceasar salad...
    No exercise but a mouse has moved in so a lot of cleaning and de-cluttering and setting up traps. I was hoping it would find its way out again but it is cold out there so probably not.

LOL, glamorous New Jersey. At least for the next few years. China had wonderful fresh jicama. The Jersey market isnt that into it, so the jicama at the store is pretty bad. There are a few Latino grocery stores opening---going to stop in and see if theirs is better
    Jill

Blog Entries
    Images

SO mouse crisis over. RIP
    I got in my walk and some exercise.
    Had time for walk and a little exercise Starting to work core a bit more. Planks.
    Trying to make sure I eat enough. Not exactly sure what enough is either.
    Yesterday I had the usual eggs, cooked up some sausages from Walmart and had asparagus with them. abd ended with some strawberries (only 20gr), walnuts, cream cheese.
    Percentages were 70/6/24 on around 1500 cals.

It is funny how serious some people take the macros. It is like the macros are more important than the amount of food they are eating. Wonder who started making these macro calculators that are all over? And a lot of people are doing coffees with butter or coconut oil in the morning. Supposedly that is having some good effect on metabolism. But it is not going to be my thing. I love my black coffee. I am pretty happy about my food. I enjoy what I am eating. Slowly getting in a bit better shape.

Another thing is almost nobody are eating veggies as part of their carbs now. I do not get it. What is wrong with veggies.

Blog Entries
    Images

Day 34
    Hallo ADBB and Jill. It is so good to visit here with my morning cup of coffee.
    Almost 5 weeks now. I feel so much better than before I started. So what took me so long. I am not sure. This is the one thing I have to be focusing on. If or when I do not eat on Atkins plan in the future. I do have to have a schedule to go back and stick to it. I can go back to read this for motivation.

It was a nice not too cold day yesterday and I wandered around on the streets in the snow for awhile. Popped into an Asian store to see what they were selling. Thinking about what kind of recipes I may want to try.
    Later I worked on some lifting.
    Eating was good. Had sausages again for lunch. Too processed maybe. Good excuse for ketchup which I love to eat. The rest was clean. Went over 20 for carbs for the first time in a while but most of it was veggies which it had to be after me whining about veggies the day before. Got in enough food for the day.

I am going to boil shrimp today.
    Maybe buy some horseradish to make a ketchup like dipping sauce to go with my mayo dipping sauce. Wonder if jarred horseradish has sugar. I guess I will swing into a store on my walk and check this out.

ETA
    Ha ha winter is messing with me. First the mouse and now a water main break. May not have water for a day or two. Probably going to mean simple meals, microwaved.
    ETA 2
    Yeah it ended up being more sausages and microwaved leftovers. Got in some good veggies so not that bad
    Walked around and then did some walking with Leslie later and lifted a bit and stretched
    Last edited by liv; November 11th, 2018 at 09:27 PM.

Blog Entries
    Images

OK five weeks about to be done. I am trying to get to bottom of fat adapted. Just because it is a new concept. This will take me awhile
    So I think it may be a term from Phinney and Volek and is explained in this blog
    https://blog.virtahealth.com/keto-adapted/

the body’s ability to produce and defend muscle glycogen via gluconeogenesis can become finely tuned, but that this takes much longer than 4-6 weeks to occur.
    Relevant if you are an athlete or train very hard. Relevant to me? Not so sure?

the initial rise in blood uric acid appears linked to the onset of nutritional ketosis, but then the body slowly adapts back to normal uric acid clearance despite sustained ketones in the blood
    this they have measured and figured out by measuring. So the kidney adapts to ketones. Again I am not sure what it means practically. It does mean that for those using keto sticks they will not see much for ketones after a bit because the kidney is not expelling them.

Another potential structural change that might directly contribute to keto-adaptation would be an increase in mitochondrial density in muscle, brain, and other oxidative tissues. The dramatic shift in energy metabolism towards fatty acid and ketone oxidation would be expected to enhance mitochondrial function.
    I guess this is the one that would be important to me. It is the most speculative of their claims.
    I think what it means is that the body becomes more tuned to using fat and therefore burning body fat. I think they suggest that at this point you do not have eat all your fat calories but can start relying on the body being better at accessing stored fat. (I probably need to read more about this to check if my interpretation in right)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I see people say that you can know that you have reached this stage by testing your blood: your HbA1C (average level of bloodsugar) stays low, even though your glucose levels have risen a bit. But not everyone is agreeing on this
    .................................................. ........

Many people claim to have some kind of fat adapted experience after week 5 along the lines of suddenly I felt great and not hungry and totally in control etc etc. Wonder what this is, wishful thinking or actual experience?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Citing Mark Sisson
    Fat-adaption does not necessarily mean ketosis. Ketosis is ketosis. Fat-adaption describes the ability to burn both fat directly via beta-oxidation and glucose via glycolysis, while ketosis describes the use of fat-derived ketone bodies by tissues (like parts of the brain) that normally use glucose.

--------------------------
    Well there it is. I think I am beginning to understand it.

Here is a quote by 2big (that I have always cherished)
    to make it real simple Atkins folk eat fat because we want our bodies to be burning fat not storing fat.

think of your body like a hybred car. you have two ways to get energy fats based or glucose based. the body generated chemicals that are needed for gluocose energy production is insulin and insulin is a body fat storing chemical also.
    the body generated chemical for fat energy production is glucogon. it will liberate stored body fats as fatty acids for fracturing to make
    So I am thinking that once this hybrid car has reached its cruising speed it will use some previously stored fuel from a different tank and the normal fuel tank is less important as long as carbs are kept low (strictly speaking insulin is kept low)
    Last edited by liv; November 12th, 2018 at 08:31 PM.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast