Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Atkins Journey Take two

• Display

Blog Entries
    Images

Default Re: Atkins Journey Take two

Yesterday my meals came too tight to each other and I ended up not eating enough. I assume I will make up for it today. Have boiled eggs ready. Got in my walking both outside and inside. Walked with chris Freytag rather than leslie yesterday. She is more intense but it was nice to mix in a few new moves. My knees and ankles are still good even with all those lateral moves and a bit of jumping. That is a good sign.
    Tried on my measuring clothes. Looks like there is a bit of progress. My shirt fit less snuggly, my pants as well. Especially in the tigh area (but not so much the mid section), I will be able to wear them soon without thinking they will burst any second.

Decided to try flax this week. I am eating small amounts of strawberries and nuts. Skipping dairly. Yogurt and Cottage Cheese are lovely but the amounts are so small. Sticking with cheese. Maybe go and buy some irish cheese for a treat come December (so expensive here due to rules)

Will be at a social tonight so I am practicing my No Thankyous at the moment.

you'll rock the social. I have no doubt. I feel like I am losing inches too, not a lot but a definite loosening of my tight jeans. I did peek at the scale and it has actually moved even higher!!! but I know for a fact I am not doing anything to cause a gain so I am ignoring this weird blip. I'd rather lose inches than pounds anyway.
    Jill
    I DID HAVE 100 pounds gone and WAS setting up residence in One-derland.
    I was No longer OBESE. Just Overweight. I want to be back there again and am on my way.

Don't trade what you want MOST for what you want right now.

Not losing on OWL? Need to focus yourself?
    Check out the Cheat Free Challenge Group
    http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...at-free-group/

Blog Entries
    Images

Inches are great. I remember when I did this the first time I lost 4 sizes without losing much weight at all. It was pretty weird.

I am super motivated right now so saying no is that problematic. I keep thinking about strategies for when motivation slips which will happen at some point.

Ate good. Was a bit over on carbs. Those silly sausages. Bought too many (it was a super sale) and it looks like I am the only one in family eating them. 2 carbs each is quite significant when I am limiting it to 20. Maybe freezer. i am craving shrimp today. I will poach them in some stock. It was a no exercise day yesterday. Some easy walking in the evening was all I did.

Blog Entries
    Images

Yesterday I had my shrimp and experimented with some dips.
    Think at some point I have to hunt down some horseraddish and make grate it and add vinegar and water so I can make a good horseradish sauce. That shrimp could have benefitted from that.

Today I saw some people buy some Thai frozen and cooked shimp with shells and heads. I wounder what they do with them. I miss whole shrimps. They have such a better taste than the headless, shelless ones I get in the store

Today was burger and broccoli slaw, also had avocado and my cheese dessert (cheese, nuts, strawberry)

I exercised lots yesterday (with walking and a bit of lifting and my HIIT (walking fast up a little hill). And I felt a bit of pain in my hip this morning so today is a total rest day as far as exercise goes. Rest days are probably just a good thing. I know that now that feel a bit better shape I want to push it. But yeah - not a good idea.

I am trying listening to my body at meal times as well as a new "strategy". So how much food and fat in particular gets consumed is supposed to be decided by my hunger/full responses. This is in response to what I have been able to lean about being fat adapted and how it is supposed to work.

So far my calories are all over the place doing this. But still early on. Key is to eat slow I think especially if I am a bit hungry when starting.

Blog Entries
    Images

Back to exercising. I am getting closer to start running. However at this point not really at the pace of c25k. Just a little bit as part of my walk now and then. Still working on letting ketosis do its thing. I guess I have to see. Had pretty much the same foods as yesterday.

Blog Entries
    Images

Reading the Obesity Code by Jason Fung. Fung is the fasting guru among dieters now. I have not read his fasting book yet. The Obesity Code is written for a wide audience, has many tiresome "lets compare this to something from daily life"... So not overly interesting in the beginning especially if you have read Atkins, Taubes, Volek before: How we got to this point and Calories are not calories, exercise does not work etc

Fung is more interested in fasting as a tool so he does reference a few studies that the other ones do not talk about that much.

He talks about the Minnestota Starving Experiment (Ancel Keys 1944-45) quite a bit.
    Quite a long study on the effects of starving. Keys was mostly interested in the psychological effects

Also the Womens Health Inititiative Dietary Modification trial from the 1990s.
    Here thousands of women (48,835 postmenopausal women) were asked to follow certain diets to measure if they were effective and really showed tjat they were not in the long run. The women on the low fat diet did lose some initially but after 4 years were equal with the control group who had not dieted at all.

Fung uses this studies to discuss how starving make us hungrier so we will eventually eat more (that is me in a nutshell)
    Also starving leads to metabolic changes that makes the body shut down some of its processes to conserve energy

He refers to this often talked about experiment (not scientific) done for the Low Carb High Fat group. Where one guy (Sam Felman) ate 5794 cals every day for 21 days. First most came from fat and he put on 2.8 pounds, When he changed diet and at the same number of cal but mostly carbs he put on 16 pounds. (This tells me that when I reach a desired weight I probably should keep my diet very high fat. I will experiment with that when time comes. eating too much of the wrong foods is not sustainable )

Sims EA studies from the 1970s trying first to create obese mice and then fatter humans. When he make prisoners overeat he found that they put on weight but very unnervingly. He also experimented on what happens when you overfeed thin people and then fat people and learned that thin people would metabolize so much faster than fat people (so calories in depends on the person and consuming calories over you needed amount does not necessarily make you fat. There may be a set weight. I wrote a blog about it years ago that is still kept here. And this is what Fung says is that set weight matters) (I think this helps me understand what happens to me or what does not happen to me when I diet. And that patience is a key and that my journey will be different than anyone else\s journey because of my own body's metabolism. On diet boards now they call this n=1. I think that is pretty cool)

__________________________________________________ ______-----------------------------------------------__________________________________________________ _____________________________

HORMONES
    So what Fung believes is that to crack the obesity code we have to know what the hormones that regulate our weight are and what they do and how to manipulate them

LEPTIN
    Fung (pg 66): Human obesity is a disease of leptin resistance (that is his claim in a nutshell)

GHERLIN (regulates hunger)

PEPTITE YY and CHOLESYSTOKININ (regulates satiety)

INSULIN (regulates glucose levels in the body. Fung calles it the "storage" hormone)
    Is stimulated by a rise in blood sugar (so by eating carbs and perhaps also overeating proteins but to a lesser level)
    Carbohydrates will be converted to glycogen and it will be stored by insulin what is left over will be turned into fat by the process novo lipogenesis

The stored glycogen (in the liver) will be broken down to glucose after insulin and bloodsugar levels drop (so when fasting like overnight). If you fast longer Fung says the body will start to convert stored fat into glucose again because it has run out, this process is called gluconeogenesis. Fat is burned to release energy

Sooo what happens if eat constantly is that you continue to fill up your liver with glycogen and there is no reason for your body to tap into your body fats. It becomes hard to lose weight)
    High insulin levels causes you to get fat but exactly how is unclear (fung 87)

CORTISOL (stress hormone)
    releases insulin (and this will happen if you exercise for instance, but it is any stress, Fung says sleep in very important for weightloss so Cortisol remains low) (95)

Fung on Low Carb and Atkins (in chapter 9 called The Atkins Onslaught)

Fung talks about a few paradoxes such as some people who eat very high carb diets (like Asian rice eaters) can be very thin....)
    And then goes on to say that the carbohydrate insulin hypothesis is incomplete (105)
    So in other words Insulin is important but carbohydrates is not the only factor that controls this. A claim that leads to his discussion about insulin resistance

INSULIN RESISTANCE
    leads to high insulin. Works like say drug resitance... But what causes it and what can we do about it. Fung suggests that maybe we eat too often

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by liv; Today at 11:14 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234