Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Atkins Journey Take two

• Display

Blog Entries
    Images

Default Re: Atkins Journey Take two

This morning I feel fine. I guess if I am going to try this trusting the ketosis run body approach I have to learn that hungry days are natural things and not have a panic attach.
    Eating is
    egg salad, avocado
    almondmilk
    chili (it has soy beans which are low carb, but yes a bit high on the rungs, but I am ready to add soy and tofu back in smaller qualites I think)
    sour cream and cheddar cheese in the chili to add fat when I eat it so that all that tomato does not throw me out of ketosis)
    Last edited by liv; December 1st, 2018 at 02:22 PM.

It could be the spices and nitrites in the processed meats that are causing the bloat. I hope you're feeling better today.

I bought lard a year or so ago because I thought it might make food taste better than it has been. My mother used nothing but lard and her cooking was great, (she owned a restaurant) but I didn't see any difference in the flavor now. I have been losing my sense of taste over the years and was hoping the lard would make it least a little better but it didn't, and since it has the same calories and carbs (0) as other oils, I went back to canola oil because of the saturated fat.
    Aka Nyna ~~~~I LOVE ATKINS!!!

"Either you run the day, or the day runs you". Jim Rohn
    X 52 X 64 X16

Blog Entries
    Images

The lard I looked at had bha and bht in it. It was cheap but I hesitated. I use canola as well, it is cheap so maybe I will stick with it. People are worried about it being too refined but I am Ok with it. Lots of different views out there
    I usually fry with bacon grease rendered from my bacon.
    Too bad about your sense of smell Nyna
    Last edited by liv; December 4th, 2018 at 12:37 AM.

Blog Entries
    Images

So it was chili (that one is eaten)
    pork meatballs (I love those little things)
    mushroom soup today - because I found some cheap mushrooms. And it is one my favourite soups. (+ leftover meatballs)

Sticking with a bit of cheese, almonds, a couple of berries and a small piece of chocolate for dessert. But since I really ate a lot of soup it was just a piece of chocolate today.

I am eating too good.

Remembering to drink enough water at least most days.

Today was an exercise restday but I have been active doing something everyday.
    Getting stronger but still pathetic at pushups.

Blog Entries
    Images

It has been many weeks without the scale now. I do not know how much I weigh. Still using clothes as encouragement.
    On the one hand, I think it has helped me more focussed on the foods and how they make me feel. In the end I think it has created more enjoyment because I am not thinking will this mean on the scale. I am just enjoying the foods themselves and trusting that these rules that I am following are helping in the long run and not panicking over every meal.
    On the other hand it has led me think more about the ketosis process, to make this wonderful tool burn the fat it can burn and access the fat of my body. To do that I am controlling my meal timing more and not snacking and enjoying that ketosis keeps me satisfied in that space between meals. For me it means that I eat a fair bit of fat most days. Seems to work for me.
    I do still measure the foods and log them to keep an eye on things. Perhaps I will get to a space where I will not have to do that but that feels like it is far away

Minigoals:
    fit my adidas pants better (I met this one. I can zip both pockets and sit down without it coming apart. It is still tight though)
    Wear size 12 (I am 14 now)
    walk without my lower tighs rubbing. (this will take some fat loss)
    run 2k (I am working on my small intervals now-slowly)
    pushup (not there)
    Lifting lower back off floor when laying on back with legs straight up (I am very far away. My abs are very weak)
    Last edited by liv; December 6th, 2018 at 10:40 AM.

Hi Liv. It sounds like you are doing great and have all your ducks in a row. Mine, on the other hand, are running wild all over the place. lol But I'm doing better now after a few days of eating out and not watching my carb intake.

I too think that staying off the scale helps to keep me more stable in my thinking. I used to panic at every fluctuation and that ruined many days for me so now I go by how I feel and how my clothes fit. I don't need all that trama in my life.
    Aka Nyna ~~~~I LOVE ATKINS!!!

"Either you run the day, or the day runs you". Jim Rohn
    X 52 X 64 X16

Blog Entries
    Images

Two months!!!!
    Ha! I am doing it.
    Sticking to the plan and enjoying it quite a bit

So glad that I can come here to ADDB and post. Just feels right.
    And thanks to Jill and Nyna for companionship. Who can wish for anything more?

Oh yeah. I managed one push up yesterday LOL

yay liv
    Jill
    I DID HAVE 100 pounds gone and WAS setting up residence in One-derland.
    I was No longer OBESE. Just Overweight. I want to be back there again and am on my way.

Don't trade what you want MOST for what you want right now.

Not losing on OWL? Need to focus yourself?
    Check out the Cheat Free Challenge Group
    http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...at-free-group/

Blog Entries
    Images

Survived another get together today. Very hard one with homemade really good traditional baking. So I keep telling myself if I stick to this I may be able to part take next year. Maybe I will have learned control by then.

Had a shake again. Got a new Ninja blender and it is so powerful so now I have to make them. Still with avocado and protein powder
    Fish leftovers
    Ribs and Greek Salad
    Small piece of dark chocolate (it was what I had while others ate all that baking)

Blog Entries
    Images

I started to read Volek and Phinney's book the Art and Science Low Carbohydrate Living again. I had totally forgotten how good that book was. They can discuss biochemistry and make me understand it (and very few of those silly it is just like... which i dislike).
    I read the basic chapter where they explain how carbs, proteins and fats are used by the body. And they explain why it is hard to eat low calorie diet that does not make you go in ketosis. They body needs a fair amount of carbs and when it does not get it (because you restrict everything) you get into a panicked state. I feel like this is what happens with me the few times I tried. The body can make fat out of excess carbs but not glucose out of stored fat.

Chapter 7: Insulin Resistance.
    It is a rather short chapter. I think if they wrote the book today (rather than in 2012) it would be longer since the whole keto diet has really become a Low Insulin diet (more than a low carb diet) at this point. But it is still interesting.
    Having read Atkins we know Carbs increase insulin (a hormone), Insulin likes to store foods especially carbs as fat. If we are insulin resistant the insulin will linger and quickly tell us to eat more and we are in a bad cycle of over eating since insulin will remain high and we will remain hungry.
    Volek and Phinney definition/explanation: "Insulin is released after a high carbohydrate meal is necessary to simultaneously inhibit glucose output from the liver and promote glucose uptake by skeletal muscle, failure of insulin to perform either of these tasks, such as occurs in insulin resistance, will lead to elevated blood sugar. " They go on to talk about how (maybe) certain fats may also be problematic as they may cause inflammation, Especially those that are highly unsaturated. (also known as my canola oil???) But certainly is true about transfats.

chapter 8: is about cholesterol. I need to come back to this chapter at some point

Chapter 10: Exercise
    They really suggest resistance training. This is not for weightloss but to stimulate the cells that have a role in insulin reduction (This is pretty interesting. I do not think this point sunk in before)

Chapter 11: Personalized nutrition
    The point they are making here is that what will work may differ from person to person. I think we are still waiting for this one to be possible. Too many measurements required. But it is pretty important that what works for one person may not work for another.

Chapter 13: VLCal and VLcarb
    They return to discussing what happens when eating very low carb. Interesting points is that what you feel in the very beginning you may not feel a few weeks into it as your body adjust to it. Mentions need of potassium and magnesium. Also talks about how to transition to maintenance something they come back to later. Here they disagree with Atkins. They do not think that you should increase carbs but rather increase fats as you have finished using your stored fat reserves. Chapter 16 discusses this in length. (No need for me to worry about this my stored fat reserves are intact!) Although in chapter 15 they do come back to the fact that people may have very different tolerance to carbs. For some it may be 20 or under and for others it may be high like 90. (I feel like I read Volek saying somewhere that the average was probably 30 but I do not think it was in this book. I need to check that)
    It also means that they think that when we get fat adapted and we are still fat we can lower our calories (our fat consumption) as the body will break down body fat and that will make up. (I am thinking about this. I often eat fat to feel good which is more important to me than to lose fast but this is a really nice point here)

Chapter 14: Metabolic Syndrome
    It contains an interesting discussion about drains and faucets

Plugged drain is when you have insulin resistance and the insulin just keeps going and you keep eating because of hunger (=insulin resistance)
    Open faucets is a theory that you problem may be that the liver releases glucose and your faucet is open (=metabolic syndrome)
    (Either way the result is the same. You do not get full from eating, just hungrier. This is me. I know that)

And the solution is of course to restrict carbs (and other food items that may cause insulin to jump like excess proteins and certain fats, artificial sweeteners etc)

That is about it. Great book. I am sure I can read it again and get more out of it. I think I will in a couple of months
    Last edited by liv; December 13th, 2018 at 12:39 PM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast