Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread: Atkins Journey Take two

• Display

Blog Entries
    Images

Default Re: Atkins Journey Take two

OK: Cholesterol and low carbing (jotting down so I remember) And will add the tidbits from Volek and Phinney and other low carb writers)

HDL ("good cholesterol") (tend to go up when low carbing)
    LDL ("bad cholesterol) (Should be under 100 but tend to be higher when low carbing) So depending on your doctor you may have to discuss this one with them. It is often calculated rather than measured which can be an issue in itstelf
    Tryglycerids (tend to go down when low carbing

It is very important to waterfast 12-14 hours) before doing a cholesterol test

Fasting glucose (should be below 100?)
    Fasting insulin (low better good is between 2 and 25)

------------US and-Canada numbers - we use different ones mmol/L ------------------------
    100=2.6

Total desirable below 5.2 (200 us)
    LDL 2.6 (optimal ) (100 us)
    HDL should be over 1.5 (60 us)
    TriGlyc should be under 1.7 (150 US)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (Doctors tend to look at what they call Total Cholesterol (the three added up) but dividing triglycerides by HDL is the better way to indicate Coronary Artery disease and therefore better than the fact that LDL goes up) Triglycerides should go down when low carbing
    So if your Triclys is 100 and your HDL is 40 Your INDICATOR IS 2.5 WHICH IS VERY GOOD

If LDL is very high and doctor is very concerned maybe have a particle test on the ldl (if the majority of the ldl is the larger ones then there is not much of a concern, it is the smaller ldl that may cause issues with oxidation and blockage)

Low carb perspectives:

Volek and Phinney says that if you low carb and your tryglycerate does not go down you may be insulin resistant

I have started to watch this YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jZu52duIqno
    Dave Feldman has done tests and shown that the more fat you eat the lower your cholesterol is. (which is quite cool)
    He also suggests that your body has a preference point as to how much cholesterol it has moving around and the body tends to want to go there and this level of cholestol is specific to you

My doctor is pretty good and tend to like if HDL goes up and is not too worried about the LDL.
    I'll go in for a checkup in the new year and then we will see what happens.
    Last edited by liv; December 14th, 2018 at 11:14 PM.

hi, liv. I haven't forgotten you, it's just been a week of running all over the place everyday, mostly dr. appointments for me and dh.

I'm sticking to low carb most of the time, with occasional lapses. I'm far from perfect but still trying. And this is an especially tough time of year with the neighbors, our kids, bringing us homemade cookies and candy. Tonight we are getting ham and cheese sandwiches from a fundraiser for a local boy badly hurt in a car crash, but I will eat the 'goodies' and ditch the bread, and add a salad.

The book you mentioned earlier sounds interesting. I will see if the local library have it for download.
    Aka Nyna ~~~~I LOVE ATKINS!!!

"Either you run the day, or the day runs you". Jim Rohn
    X 52 X 64 X16

I am so thankful for all your posts, liv --- I have yet to read the books but the stuff you are posting is fascinating and makes me want to delve in and really understand it! <3
    Jill
    I DID HAVE 100 pounds gone and WAS setting up residence in One-derland.
    I was No longer OBESE. Just Overweight. I want to be back there again and am on my way.

Don't trade what you want MOST for what you want right now.

Not losing on OWL? Need to focus yourself?
    Check out the Cheat Free Challenge Group
    http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...at-free-group/

Blog Entries
    Images

Had my first Christmas dinner. Not problematic . I cooked and made substitutes. And it was all very yummy.

I am planning an off plan day this week. Going to stick to my baking tradition and will eat sugar, flour. Because i am doing well and losing weight I am not really wanting too. But it is an important family day of honouring traditions. I know that in reality and in the long run it will not matter. It will just be a small setback and I will be back to normal ketosis quickly again.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567