Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling all PCOSisters...

• Display

I've had PCOS for quite a few years now. I've had irregular periods since I started (I was 9) and lots of the other symptoms. Interestingly, my period has been regular (to the day) since I started Atkins...

Have had lots of trouble conceiving (hopefully soon). My husband is away on a summer field assignment so that makes it a bit more challenging. We'll begin taking other steps this fall should nothing happen during the rest of the summer.

Indy
    5' 6", Female, Age: 33
    Started Induction 2/24/04 - Restart 1/4/06
    Became pregnant 8/04 and delivered 5/05
    225/143/173/140

Quote Originally Posted by maribelle
    There is also a treatment available where a surgeon uses lazer to puncture the ovaries several times, resulting in softening of the ovaries and the release of little happy eggies!!!! There is a down side...as with everything. If copulation takes place too soon after the operation, it may result in large multiple conception, and it may bring on early menopause. I'm by no means a doctor...just quoting my research. It does supposedly return fertility for quite a long time.
    I believe this is called ovarian drilling, and it should be done as a last resort. It can cause scarring on the ovaries that can block them more than the cysts.
    233/224/125
    5'3" 31 years old
    Restart 7/23/05

Mini-goal: Under 200 by my birthday 9/29

Hello Indy and Sweet pix...wow...there's alot of us here. I'm glad you both decided to post with us. Thank you for your info on the ovarian drilling...it is a drastic surgery, and every surgery has horrible risks, especially when weight is a factor. I think you are definitley right that it should be a last resort. My mom talked me out of going for it, because I'm only 30, and I haven't tried alot of other options. It is amazing how similar our stories are. I too conceived my son, got the toxemia, and delivered him 7 weeks early weighing only 2 lbs, 3 oz. That was a nightmare...and then after that the PCOS problems really took off. I had an endocrinologist tell me I didn't have PCO because all my tests came back normal...then I found out he didn't do the most important test that really reveals the illness, the 2 to 4 hour glucose intolerance test. And I also had the intervaginal ultrasound that reavealed 10 to 12 cysts in each ovary. I'm so happy you were able to conceive again....maybe I should of tried Metformin longer. I'm hoping Atkins will take care of my fertility without it though, because it is costly. Thanks for sharing your stories!
    ~Marion INDUCTION restart January 10, 2010

34, F, PCOS

SW 440/CW 438/ GW 175

I don't have PCOS... Ive been tested but it came back negitive... even though I do have symptoms... ANYWAY!
    I just picked up the new "womans world" I get it weekly I love it! There is an artical in there on low carb diets and PCOS... quite interesting and insperational! Just thought maybe some of you might want a good article to read!

FYI!

Natalee

Quote Originally Posted by AngelnPrincess
    I don't have PCOS... Ive been tested but it came back negitive... even though I do have symptoms... ANYWAY!
    I just picked up the new "womans world" I get it weekly I love it! There is an artical in there on low carb diets and PCOS... quite interesting and insperational! Just thought maybe some of you might want a good article to read!

FYI!

Natalee
    Natalee, do you know what your test results were? Like I posted above (and maribelle as well), I had "normal" test results but when I got the actual numbers, I was a textbook case. If I had gone only by what my first doctor said, I would still believe I was infertile just because of being overweight. That doctor had the nerve to tell me "At least you don't have a disease that will be with you the rest of your life." Ummm, I think knowing I have a disease that will be with me the rest of my life is better because that way I can try to minimize its effects on me.

Anyway, I don't want you to get misdiagnosed if you do have PCOS, and I hope that you actually don't as it is something that is with you the rest of your life. If you haven't already, get copies of your lab test results - you are the patient and you are entitled to them. I have learned that being an active participant in your healthcare can be as important as any tests in making sure you are taken care of. And doctors are human and can make mistakes or even be so set in what they believe to be right (think low-fat diet versus Atkins) that they can refuse to see the truth because they would be proved "wrong."
    233/224/125
    5'3" 31 years old
    Restart 7/23/05

Mini-goal: Under 200 by my birthday 9/29

deleted

34, F, PCOS

SW 440/CW 438/ GW 175

Default SweetPixieChick

Well They are running lots of hormone tests... Im still working on getting the adrainal test done... I have to take that pill and go in at 8am to have the blood work done... its SOOOOO hard for me to find enough time to do all that!
    Until than I will probably not get the acctual numbers and all that jazz..
    Ive searched and searched for answers to my problems for years... thyroid after thyroid testing... all kinds of crap!
    I went to an Endo and he told me he planned to have my hormones tested and if they where to come back negitive (which he suspects) than I need to "chalk it off to genetics and learn to live with the fact Im going to be over weight the rest of my life" you did see the quote marks right the jerk acctully had the nerve to use those harsh horrible words!
    Its nice to know that when I do get the acctual numbers I will have a place to come to talk about them! thanks so much!

Natalee

Thank you AngelnPrincess...I'm so happy you suggested picking up the latest copy of "Woman's World" . The article was such a great reminder of what I'm aiming for. For those who haven't picked it up, it contains
    an article about a woman from here in Kansas, whose story is almost identical to all of ours. She finally took control of her diet after doing research on how to help herself. After low-carbing for a year, without knowing she had sometime started ovulating, she was surprised to find out her flu really wasn't a flu at all, and now has a beautiful baby girl, AND ALL HER PCOS SYMPTOMS ARE GONE!!! Anyone else feel motivated??? Keep up the low-carbin', ladies, and don't give up.

34, F, PCOS

SW 440/CW 438/ GW 175

I see there are still alot of ladies asking about PCO on a frequent basis, so I decided to repost, and get this topic back to the first page. There are a lot of ladies on here who shared alot of info...hope it helps some newbies.

34, F, PCOS

SW 440/CW 438/ GW 175

Hi,

So glad to find your guys here.

I was dx with PCOS today so i am very new to this. I am going to research more into the topic. I have not had any periods for 10 months...suffering from depressions, fatigue, weigh gain around the midsection and moodswing.

Now the doctor puts me on synthetic progesterone to trigger my period and suggest that am taking BCP to regulate my menstrual cycle.

I am now taking progesterone but i really DO NOT want to take the BCP.

Is there any alternative i can consider?

looking forward to your replies,

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast