Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Thread: Calling all PCOSisters...

• Display

Default Re: Calling all PCOSisters...

Alex,
    I know how you are feeling. I have been told that children will not be an option for me either with my PCOS and insulin resistance. But you know- I have more faith in a low carb diet than western medicine any day! There were days that I would break down into tears because I would see babies on tv, in strollers, and my friends have all started families. But you know- with being on atkins for only 6 days so far- my mood is more stable, i sleep better, i pee ALL THE TIME, my test strips come back positive, everything seems to be working on the inside so far! And in turn- that gives me both HOPE and FAITH. Stay strong cyster! We'll have kids one day!

Nikki

CURRENT WEIGHT: 235 friggin' pounds!
    Goals:
    To weigh either 135 or just have my BMI in Normal Range
    Goal #1: 215
    Goal #2: 199 (woot woot) does anyone else get excited for the peeps on BIGGEST LOSER when they hit this! I'm gunna throw a fat party!
    Goal #3: 180
    Goal #4: 165
    Goal #5: 150
    Goal #6: 135 ish

As I've stated, my weight # doesn't matter so much to me as long as I get to: HEALTHY, HAPPY, and COMFORTABLE in my own skin!!

I started see weight loss in the first week but I only weigh myself once a week. Anymore then that and I make myself crazy! Now that I've been on Atkins for almost 6 months I hit plateaus more often so it can get frustrating but someone told me that as long as your losing inches still, your okay and not to focus so much on the pounds. Your first week will probably be mostly water though. Good luck!! Happy low carbing!

Well i am starting the atkins tomorrow and i also have PCOS

I was diangnosed when i was 22 although i started my period at ten and at that age i had excess facial hair. Still have the excess hair on my face but also on my body which is not a nice thing to have, i am on Metformin 850mg which hasnt really helped with the excess weight. I think the hardest thing for me is the fertility issue, most of the time i am positive but sometimes it gets on top of me especially when all your frienfd are either pregnant or have children. Need to get my BMI down to 30 and then the NHS will give me fertility treatment.
    Age-29
    Height-5"2
    Start Weight 203lbs

I have PCOS - just had an ultra sound - they saw 15-20 cysts on my left ovary, and the Dr just said and more than that on the right... sucks. The pain is so frustrating. When I was off birth control I had no period - and lots of pain. I just got married in March, and my little sister had a baby this fall. It was so hard to hear her keep saying "you'll get people buying you lots of stuff when you have babies too" as I watched them get a pile of gifts for cute little Anna and we got 2 gifts. Oh well, time to grow up I guess.
    I met with an Endocrinologist this month, she has started me on Metformin and the Atkins diet - says to stay on the induction phase as long as I can stand it. So far I have done one week, and it looks promising so far. This week I will also start back at the gym. Last summer I lost 30 lbs going to the gym and just cutting calories. I think that cutting the carbs will actually do more for me - I just love them soo much.
    I bought a few atkins bars, hoping that having one of those when I get PMS and seriously want chocolate will work.
    I'm 32, will be 33 in a few months. My husband and I would love to have kids, so he is going on the diet with me (he can stand to lose a few pounds too so it will hopefully be good for his sleep apnia.
    Anyway - there is a little bit about me.

Hi ladies!

I'm Melissa, just joined the board today and I am in Day 3 of the Induction Phase and have lost 4 pounds so far. I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2006 via bloodwork and ultrasound of my ovaries. I have been through many incompentent doctors who seems to know very little about PCOS. My diagnosing doctor told me I would have a very difficult time having children, if I could at all. So when I let my birth control lapse for 5 months in 2008 I did not worry because I assumed I was infertile. Well, to my complete and utter surprise I found out I was pregnant in Sept. 2008 and so my b/f of 9 years got married in December of 2008 and in May 2009 I gave birth to our son, Samuel, who is thriving still today. I was induced 2 weeks early due to increased blood pressure, which after the birth of my son, never went back to normal and I was placed on blood pressure medication. I am still on a beta blocker for my blood pressure. I actually developed Hyperemesis Gravidarum during pregnancy and lost 35 lbs instead of gaining weight. I was very ill and was placed on IV fluids, vitamins, and meds for weeks and it took 3 full months to recover.

I have always had periods nearly every month but once my son was born they have become much more regular. I have the typical hair loss (a lot after giving birh too), facial hair (thank goodness it is blonde), very large abdomen, large buttocks, upper thighs, and upper arms. I have/had insane sugar/carb cravings to the point that when I would wake in the morning the only thing on my mind was something with sugar or lots of carbs. I also have numerous headaches everyday from the spike and drop in blood sugar levels and as of day 2 of the diet they have all but disappeared. Of course I have insulin resistance and my doctors never offered any help with it so I did some research and, determined to help myself, started the Atkins Diet.

My reasons for getting healthy are many but mainly they are; to be there for my son as he grows up, to live a long life, to not feel sick all the time, to have more energy, to have more children with healthy pregnancies, to not be embaressed of my body constantly, so people will stop starting at me and reminding me of my weight everyday, and to be able to fit my clothes nd do things normal-weight peole do.

Thank you!
    Melissa, 28

Induction Phase Started: 01/15/20011
    Starting Weight: 275 lbs
    Current Weight: 271 lbs
    Ultimate Goal Weight: 150 lbs
    Conditions: PCOS, HBP, IR

Mommy to a 20 Month Old Little Boy

" All things splendid have been achieved by those who dared to believe that something inside them was superior to circumstance" - Bruce Barton

Hi girls,

My name is Jenn and I'm also new to Atkins and this site. I started this WOE after my PCOS issues led me to the gyn/endocrine doc (whom I love) to see what can be done to help my quest for motherhood. I was DX'd with PCOS in 2000 by my PCP (he was THE best) after struggling to conceive. Many medications, procedures and struggling weight loss years later I'm still in the same boat. My only luck was in 2006 when I had been in "onederland" and without medications was able to get my BFP, however sadly it was lost at 7wks. I've recently been DX'd complex hyperplasia w/o atypia (my mother and grandmother both were DX'd w/uterine cancer at 34 and 28, respectively) so I'm praying weight loss in combination with medications will keep those pesky cells at bay. I'm looking forward to this journey, as difficult as it will be, because I want to become fit, healthy, and happy.

PCOS, like we all can attest, is a continuing struggle of hormones, excess everything (hair, skin, weight, etc) and infertility. I'm sure we all have support and love from family and friends, yet however genuine and caring our loved ones are, they simply don't understand the constant microscope we put ourselves under in feeling inadequate as a woman (which may not be all PCOS'ers but some). It's so wonderful to see a support system like this enabling those of us dealing with these issues to have a place to ask questions, vent, and receive guidance.

My main goal with Atkins is to lose this darn weight so I can be in a healthier place before I begin fertility treatments. I'm frightened of gestational diabetes and other things, so I figured getting my body healthy and ready will make those infertility challenges a little less difficult. I do struggle with the helpless/crying thing sometimes, especially after visiting my sister and her 3 boys (you know the why me syndrome, especially since my sister just had her little one July 2010) however I'm trying to turn it into motivation. It may not be in the cards for me to be a mommy, however as long as I know I tried then I can be at peace with it. Good luck ladies on your journeys! Hopefully we can help each other as much as possible.
    "Then my mom sent me to the summer camp for fat kids and then once during lunch I got nuts and I pigged out and they kicked me out..."

Chunk, The Goonies 

A little hope!
    Just to give you ladies a little hope - in January I posted my original post. I stayed on Atkins till sometime early March, till I couldn't stomache it any further - so I thought. I thought that the eggs were making me sick. I had stopped my birth control for a bit to give my body a break shortly after I started this diet. I was also put on metformin when I started. At any rate it wasn't the diet that was making me sick, I found out in April, just after my 33rd birthday. I was actually 8 1/2 weeks pregnant at this point. I couldn't believe it, and it was the last thing from my mind when I went to the dr. I thought maybe it was a kidney infection, or cancer, or anything - after hearing you can't get pregnant, when it happens, and before you've done everything you should, you don't want to believe it.
    Anyway.. I am 29 weeks now. Gestational diabetes is a pain, but the diet is really close to the maintenance diet that I am keeping, and I have continued to lose weight through the pregnancy. My mat dr now thinks that I maybe actually lose a total of 50lbs after delivery at the rate that I am going. So keep doing what you are doing those sticking with the diet. And you'll be surprised at what could happen.

Hi everyone like kadin I wanted to share a bit of hope.
    I was diagnosed with PCOS at 26. I already had history of problems and endometriosis. After two years of metformin no progress - to be fair my diet was still high carb rubbish. I had to have surgery. Ovarian drilling as it was all a big mess. My surgeon said to me from that day on low carb it - try Atkins if you can. I know have two little boys - 2008 & 2010. I am back on the forum as during my pregnancies I reverted back to old habits and I'm carrying easily 2-3 stone more than I should be. Plus we want another baby so I am on induction and taking my metformin religiously. In 2006 I was told I most probably will never have kids - well it's 2011 and I have two and I am trying for a third. My point being never doubt yourself and the power of a few changes to lifestyle and diet can do amazing things t your body and fertility.
    Don't give up ladies.
    Em x

Hello All, I am Valarie from Ft Worth Tx. I have PCOS and recently had a full panel blood work done. 30 yrs old 215 lbs 5'7". It took my husband and I 2 years to get pregnant. I have tried the Atkins a few times but never to make it my way of life. I am really thinking now that this is my best option and the Dr. recommended a low carb diet because of insulin problems and PCOS. I Love this forum and wanted to know does this way of eating work to help with the PCOS? I have always fluctuated with my weight but now I'm at the bottom of everything. My self confidence is so low I am miserable at times to be around. My blood work came back fine, but what got my attention was: how PCOS and type 2 diabetes are similar, and the Dr. said its not hard for someone on PCOS to cross over. Which terrified me and is making me realize I have to change my way of eating for me and for my family. If y'all have any suggestions I would love to hear them. I think why it was hard for me to stick to the Atkins was because I didn't set up a cheat day, it was an all or nothing mind frame. Once I failed a few times I just gave up. That's my biggest battle is realizing it is a way of life but I am going to have to have a cheat here and there.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678