Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: know goitrogenic foods

• Display

Default know goitrogenic foods

Veggies
    Broccoli, Brussel sprouts Cabbage, Cauliflower, Kale, Kohlrabi, Mustard greens, Rutabaga, Spinach, Turnips, and Radishes.

other foods
    Millet
    Peaches
    Strawberries
    Peanuts
    Soybean and soy products, including tofu
    by the book atkinseer

[I]

Thumbs up Re: know groitogen foods

I was curious to know about "groitogen" foods but when I copy and pasted term into google search it asked if i meant GOITROGEN foods, which gave me all the answers to my questions! Still, GREAT INFORMATION and thanks for the tip!

Default Re: know groitogen foods

I am hypothyroid. Treated now, thankfully. Before I was treated I could only gain, not lose. Now that my med (Levothroid) has been titrated and I have had time to heal from years of having an untreated underactive thyroid, I am finally, slowly, able to lose weight.

I have read about people avoiding the goitrogen foods on various thyroid info and message board sites. I also googled and read what was there. I didn't, however, find anything which convinces me to avoid these foods, some of which I like very much and which are allowed during the weight loss phases of Atkins.

I asked a trusted doctor about this. He laughed, said there is no reason for me to avoid these foods, told me not to believe everything I read on the internet.

Since this plan encourages adding one food at a time as one goes up the OWL ladder, that's what I am doing. I'm not at the berry rung, but I have had no ill effects from any of the listed foods I have tried. YMMV, of course, but I am eating my veggies and enjoying them very much.

F - 5' 4.53"

Erin, you should have no problems eating goitrogen foods as long as your meds were titrated while you were consuming these foods.
    Low carb since December 2007
    Maintenance since June 2010

My FitDay journal

Well, other than broccoli and strawberries, I am not certain I was eating all the various veggies while the leveling process was going on that I am learning to eat now. Since I started adding them, as I said, I have noticed no ill effects, am able to lose weight on this plan where I never could before treatment. Of course, the doc will check my levels again in a few months. This is an annual event now. Last year there was no significant change over the year before that.

I guess we'll see what the next results tell us. Meanwhile, I am enjoying the gradual addition of these and other veggies.

F - 5' 4.53"

I know this is months later, but please be aware that some thyroid patients are very sensitive to soy, and regardless of meds should avoid it. It can block the conversion of your T4 to T3. It's very individual, but you might want to avoid eating soy products and see if it helps you. That means a clean diet with few products--the Atkins shakes have soy, but there are other lo carb shakes that don't. Avoid "vegetable oil"--it's usually mostly soy. Use canola and olive instead.
    Soy lecithin is OK.

meow, can you give us a link to scientific evidence of what you are saying? From a reliable medical site, such as WebMD or Mayo Clinic or comparable?

TIA

F - 5' 4.53"

I'll see if i can find something. my endo and GP both said that large quantities of soy interferes with synthroid--we can eat soy sauce and edame as a garnish, but should avoid edame and tofu as an entree--and absolutely no soy supplements, like the ones for menopause, or soy milk!

Default Re: know goitrogenic foods

Soy: Does it worsen hypothyroidism? - MayoClinic.com
    this recommends waiting at least 4 hours before consuming soy.

"some experts believe that overconsumption of soy can damage the thyroid and trigger autoimmune disease"
    About.com: http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/soydoerge.htm

" Thus, soy effects on the thyroid involve the critical relationship between iodine status and thyroid function." Goitrogenic and estrogenic activity of soy isoflav... [Environ Health Perspect. 2002] - PubMed result

That one was about healthy thyroid function, rather than hypothyroid.

Eek, here we go--soy milk and its adverse effects on infants:

"The soybean has been implicated in diet-induced goiter by many studies. The extensive consumption of soy products in infant formulas and in vegetarian diets makes it essential to define the goitrogenic potential. In this report, it was observed that an acidic methanolic extract of soybeans contains compounds that inhibit thyroid peroxidase- (TPO) catalyzed reactions essential to thyroid hormone synthesis." Anti-thyroid isoflavones from soybean: isolation, ... [Biochem Pharmacol. 1997] - PubMed result

This site has the accepted medical recommendation of no more than 60 grams of soy a day--and notes that you should not eat much soy if you have a higher risk of breast cancer.
    Soy Foods and Thyroid (Synthroid) Med Absorption - Thyroid Problems: Information About Thyroid Disease, Hypothyroidism, Hyperthyroidism and Thyroid Disorders on MedicineNet.com

There are numerous websites selling soy products that have their own "studies" but they don't count. Including Dr Mercola. These are the same ones who go on Oprah and tell you you can "cure" hypothyroidism by taking iodine supplements. Iodine will fix you right up--- if your hypothyroidism was caused by an iodine insufficiency! Otherwise, what it does is give you false lab readings. I have had Hashimotos since 1986, and every doctor I ever saw warned me to stay away from those iodine/seaweed/kelp cures, and to eat very little soy.

Blog Entries
    Images

Default Re: know goitrogenic foods

Thanks for including all that research Meow -
    I am hypo and am watching my soy as well. I have not totally stopped eating it but I am careful. My thyroid (hypo) has been very stable though over the lat 10 years

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast