Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 weeks without anything sweet - report

• Display

Default 2 weeks without anything sweet - report

Some of you may recall my thread a couple of weeks ago - titled very aptly, The Fear of Food - in which I said how scared I was to fall off the wagon because for me, falling off the wagon means bingeing to a painful level for weeks as I struggle to get some control back.

Through countless times of relapsing into the food, I have learned one thing: my triggers are sweet. Not crunchy, not anything else: when I binge, it's always sweet food. I may keep to "low-carb" items at first, but will soon decide that it doesn't make any difference anyway so I'll go all-out soon after. I had never read the "artificial sweeteners" sticky in this forum before; two weeks ago, I finally saw something that would help me. Several people in there posted that they have cut out all sweet foods, sweeteners, sweet drinks etc. during induction, and their tastes have changed. I had never before given myself that chance - drinking one small bottle of diet coke a day as a minimum.

I never thought I could live without anything sweet whatsoever. I thought this would be the hardest thing in the world, but... it wasn't!

I found myself suddenly free of obsessing about the next meal. As a low-carber, you're not hungry, but I still thought about my next meals and I'd check out threads on here that suggested new concoctions of sweet breakfast or dessert foods... you get the picture. This is all gone now! It's off-limits, and that's that: no obsessing, no cravings. As long as I don't have it, it seems that I don't want it. That's a revelation to me!!

What's more, doing this has suddenly and powerfully unlocked my weight situation. I have changed nothing about my diet calorie-wise or carb-wise, all I did was cut out the diet drinks. Turns out I must be among the 25% of the population who get stalled by aspartame, and I didn't even know it! Since I began eating this way, I have been losing a steady 2 lbs./week!!! And this from someone who has been low-carbing for TWO YEARS without success before that! - Check out this thread I posted in early July, in which I seriously considered switching to South Beach because nothing else seemed to work.

Looks like I finally found the answer to my troubles: a completely clean induction free of all sweets. I finally, FINALLY lose weight and the cravings are under control. I can't begin to thank God enough, and you on this board with your invaluable advice. Thank you!!!

sue
    I want to be thin. I want to be a runner. Why can't I get it into my head that both things require work??

Best advice I read as a newbie was "to kill that sweet tooth!" It does work. Once that sweet tooth is killed, desserts, candy, etc. aren't as appealing and you won't find yourself "needing" them daily.

You'll also notice after a while that you'll be able to taste sugar in things you never thought were sweet--particularly vegetables.

Good luck to you and I'm happy you posted this for others to see how good it is to kill that sweet tooth.

~Megs~
    242/141/124-126
    dress size 26/10/8
    5'4", Female, May 2, 2003
    My blog:
    http://mformiscellaneous.blogspot.com/

"At a dinner party one should eat wisely but not too well, and talk well but not too wisely."--W. Somerset Maugham

Blog Entries

Sigh.... your post is making me face a reality I REALLY don't want to face!!

I've been "playing" with cutting out artificial sweeteners. One day I'll have none, the next day I'll have one, another day I'm back up to three, etc.

But (groan) I have noticed... when I can keep the sweeteners down to 0 or 1 per day for a few days in a row, I'll lose 2-3 lbs that week. In the back of my brain, I've known for two weeks now that I, too, am one of those 25% folks... just trying so hard not to admit it to myself.

But your post is a reality check. I need to get this sweetener monkey off my back -- I swear, it's every bit as bad as the original sugar monster!

Thanks for your post. It REALLY makes me think that I need to cut out all artificial sweeteners....NOW.

Joan J
    Re-Start 05/09
    F, 56, 255/248/160
    Quilter, wife, mother, grandmother, blogger
    Personal blog
    Quilting blog

Congratulations!! :icondance Good for you for sticking to your resolve and not caving in - that's terrific! I bet your weight loss tastes "sweeter" right now than the soda, doesn't it?
    Attek
    ~Attek

F 5'6"
    Start Atkins 4/26/04 - 159 Reached Goal 10/31/04 - 120
    Starting Again 1/1/14
    SW 178/CW 166/GW 125
    OWL

I had a relapse lately. I was doing great with no sweet cravings at all until I had a wilted spinch salad with hot bacon dressing. The dressing was sugar-filled and I caved into sweet cravings a lot after that. Recommitted and I'm back to being strong. Killing the sweet tooth is one of the most important things to do! Congrats to you--isn't it great to feel in control??
    Jan

172/149/120?

23 lbs in 17 weeks!

congrats cutting the sodas and getting your scales moving. do you by chance have candidas? they thrive on cirtic acid and soda has it. If you do your clean induction should have helped it a great deal and you maybe in the clear but if nuts or more dairty stall you out look at chapter 20 of your DANDR and check out Becky Sue's yeast topic
    by the book atkinseer

[I]

Quote Originally Posted by JoanOH
    Sigh.... your post is making me face a reality I REALLY don't want to face!!
    Me too!

I decided to have a low carb candy bar at a friend's birthday party, just to keep me away from the cake. Well, since then I have been having 1 lowcarb chocolate each day (OK--somdays I had 2). I also discovered Chik-Fil-A Diet Lemonaid---Mmm good on a hot day when I run out of water running errands. I also started joining my husband in his coffee habit--I made a pot of decaf, and put cream and SF syrup in my mug.

Today I weighed and found that I gained weight last week. I grew depressed. After I got my husband and kids off for the day and sat down and analysed my eating habits. I found that I ate more and more sweet foods, which made me want even more.

So, beginning today--NO MORE SWEETS!
    252/221/165
    (Mini goal of 200 before Christmas)
    Started 5/17/04

Do you think anyone would be interested in a 6-week challenge - sweets-free induction? I'm thinking this might help some people be accountable and have a manageable time frame to cut out sweets. Six weeks should free anyone from cravings.

What do you think?
    I want to be thin. I want to be a runner. Why can't I get it into my head that both things require work??

Sounds good to me! I am a sweet binger. I hardly ever eat fries & pasta & bread. I could care less about it(miss bread a little). Now if only I had that feeling for sugar I would have it made. Actually as of today I stopped using splenda in my coffee and I am going to try to not eat anything with splenda.
    Last weekend I made clouds. Yes they were good. I ate them all in 2 days. I knew I should not even make them. I don't crave as bad with splenda but I do crave some.
    Restarted 04/04/05
    190/190/160
    178/173/155
    Started 8/30/2004
    Female
    Height: 5'7

I must not let Sugar control me!
    Sugar is Poison! Sugar is Poison!

Quote Originally Posted by wienerin
    Do you think anyone would be interested in a 6-week challenge - sweets-free induction? I'm thinking this might help some people be accountable and have a manageable time frame to cut out sweets. Six weeks should free anyone from cravings.

What do you think?
    I think I am interested. Let me know how/when to sign up for this one!
    252/221/165
    (Mini goal of 200 before Christmas)
    Started 5/17/04

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast