Thread: this is it. THE way.

• Display

Default this is it. THE way.

well, in my three yrs of being type 1 diabetic, iv had some rough times, blood sugar wise. and iv found that Atkins/low carb in general is really the ONLY way i can get good blood sugar control and keep it, short of pumping myself FULL of insulin, and gaining TONS of weight. :no iv been on four different types of insulin and i just cant seem to get the control, especially after my honeymoon period ended with a bang. right now im on my insulin pump, with nova rapid, and my basal rates are still 2 high for my likeing, could some other pumpers mayb comment on theirs and if these are 2 high? every day i try and cut them bak a bit, all the excercise iv been doing helps a lot with this. but i have them under control now! and its sweeeeeet satisfaction. i get so frustrated and discouraged when they'r out of control. :sadblinky makes me hate my disease and feel resentfull. but when i have good control and i feel good as a result, i feel like i can accept it as a part of my life and that I CAN control it.

basals are:

12:00AM 1.60U/H
    7:00AM 1.40 U/H
    12:00PM 1.15 U/H <--- this one is a new one because i work out in the after noon/evening and i kept going low. before it was just 1.4 @ 7 and stayed that way till midnight.

((Randy I hope u read this looooooonnng post and have some insightful wisdom for me! ))

For lows, as much as i try and avoid them, when they DO happen, will a high protien snack help me out, or is it carbs or nothing.

Gee I wish I had more knowledge about using the pump and this issue, am not sure what to say except when having a low have something with a protien and fat so say if have a cracker try cheese with it, or celery and cheese but probably need bit more celery, how low is low, why did you add extra insulin at noon if excercising???Why not PM Randiman, I did, I know she won't mind

Its great how you have mastered it and these fine details with the amts are something I just dont know enough about with the pump it sure is a small amt of insulin you are using now though, thats awesome!!!!
    Would you be better off now with such good control just using a pen and some nova rapid, etc, would it be more convenientt or do you find the pump ok??

I can help with the snack question you want like Canuck said some protein and fat with the carb for stablizing the blood sugar once you get that level back up where you want it.

Are you doing your Atkins with lots of fats and moderate proteins with all your carb eating to stabilize your blood sugars? many times too much protein being converted to glugose in the liver after exercise can cause a blood sugar spike if you are eating high protein. Are you eating any of those frankenfood low carb foods with the "net effective carbs". Many Many diabetics and normal low carbers find they get a bigger blood sugar effect from those they they have been led to believe will happen from the food lable.
    by the book atkinseer

[I]

Hey guys! Sorry i haven't been around lately but i have been going through some stressful times. Each time i think i am ready to restart atkins something else goes wrong. Right now i am really stressed out with school, because for three weeks now i have been fighting with them about something that is wrong on their end and they can't figure out how to fix it... it is just really stressful and upsetting. I hope this problem will be solved this week. Then last friday i went to the Dr for my check up and found out that they want to put me on high Cholesterol (sp?) Medicine and kidney medicine. I have high Cholesterol ... it is a family thing. The kidney meds is suppose to help me in the future. Something about after you have had diabetes for 5 years your blood cells start to change and it affects your kidneys, and they have to put you on medicine. Well they think if they start me on the meds now that it will help prevent future problems. I don't know, all i know is it is really stressing me out. Never in my life did i think that when i was 21 that i would have some many medicines and health problems. Anyway enough about my problems.....

I had changed my basel rates to 1.05 unit @ midnight, 1.05 unit @ 7am, 1.05 unit @ 3pm. My doctor changed my pump so that i only have 1.05 unit @ midnight, and some how this gives me 1 unit of insulin every hour. I am at a lower rate then you. I have never really been concerned about my basel rate. I find that there is really nothing you can do about it. It's just that different people's bodies react differently. You exercise and eat low carb, when right now i eating normal and not exercising and my basel rate is lower than yours. I guess what i am trying to say is that i would not be as worried about your basel rate and i would be about your boluses. I understand what you are saying about pumping your body full of insulin all day, it is like you are just pumping fat into your body, but that is just what we have to do. Tomorrow morning i will look into if i can find anything about lowering your basel rate. I do know a gentleman who is in his 50s and use to control his type 1 with just diet and exercise (no insulin) but he was still in the honeymoon period i believe, and once that was over he couldn't do it anymore. So i think it is almost impossible to go with a basel rate.

Sorry if i didn't understand your question, which would mean i didn't answer right. Just let me know. I am trying my hardest to be back here on Monday. By the you can PM whenever you want, i will always respond and i love helping people in anyway i can. THANKS!

By the way b_boop how is the weight loss coming with the pump? I think this time i am going to stay on the pump, because my dr. gives me heck with i go off of it. Are you actually losing or just maintaining?
    - Randi
    Everything happens for a Reason!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=50362387

246hw/ 219as/ 211.8cw/ 145gw

Normal Ticker:

Challenge Ticker:

http://randistype1diabeticblog.blogspot.com/

Randi, please excuse my butting in here, but I read on one of these threads that you use a minimed pump and also had at least one problem with a very painful insertion of the plastic syringe thingy (cadula?).

My daughter (15) tried the minimed pump at the beginning of this year and had the same problem. It turned out to be the infusion sets, which were recalled for defect. Did you check into that? Unfortunately, it traumatized my daughter and she refuses to even try with the new infusion models. Its frustrating because the pump was the only thing giving her a measure of control.

P.S. ANY advice you can offer re: Atkins for a Type 1 teenager would be greatly appreciated. She doesn't need to lose weight, but doesn't want to gain any and mostly needs to keep her bg under control.
    Tala

Randi, please excuse my butting in here, but I read on one of these threads that you use a minimed pump and also had at least one problem with a very painful insertion of the plastic syringe thingy (cadula?).

My daughter (15) tried the minimed pump at the beginning of this year and had the same problem. It turned out to be the infusion sets, which were recalled for defect. Did you check into that? Unfortunately, it traumatized my daughter and she refuses to even try with the new infusion models. Its frustrating because the pump was the only thing giving her a measure of control.

P.S. ANY advice you can offer re: Atkins for a Type 1 teenager would be greatly appreciated. She doesn't need to lose weight, but doesn't want to gain any and mostly needs to keep her bg under control.
    Tala

Please don
    - Randi
    Everything happens for a Reason!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=50362387

246hw/ 219as/ 211.8cw/ 145gw

Normal Ticker:

Challenge Ticker:

http://randistype1diabeticblog.blogspot.com/

Default To Randi

I see that you are helping a lot of people here.This is just to say that we are all there for u too and thanks for ur support here.

Tala
    has your daughter read the new Diabetic book by Dr Atkins associates? he was working on it before he died and they at the request of Mrs Atkins finished it. Our Canuck is in it.
    Your daughter can gain a wealth of health advantages by controlling her blood sugar early in her life as the damage done to the organs is from a life time of accumulated microscopic damage done while the person was feeling fine.

Randi the kidney protection med has several write ups as a major study. Heart protection meds are coming too. The lipid med isn't as evil as the news reports make it out to be. Those with a genetic tendency to develope a muscle wasting issue can be triggered by it. There are some natural plant products that act like statins in the body like soy if you can handle it and the stuff in benecol butter sub.
    Hope you get your scholl stuff staightened out soon.
    by the book atkinseer

[I]