Thread: Can Type 1 go on atkins diet?

• Display

Default Can Type 1 go on atkins diet?

I know 2 families who have a 9 year old and a 14 year old with type 1 diabetes. Is atkins an ok diet for them at this age particularly?Would love to get any related type of feedback on this topic,please

Cheers,
    Shobs

Default Re: Can Type 1 go on atkins diet?

Quote Originally Posted by shobs
    I know 2 families who have a 9 year old and a 14 year old with type 1 diabetes. Is atkins an ok diet for them at this age particularly?Would love to get any related type of feedback on this topic,please

Cheers,
    Shobs
    The following is from the new Atkins book: Atkins Diabetes Revolution (Page 324).

"Youngsters who have Type 1 Diabetes have a lifelong condition that requires very careful management. The Atkins Blood Sugar Control Program (ABSCP) can help, particularly in one very important way: A controlled carb food plan can assist in preventing dangerous episodes of both hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia. The Atkins approach helps keep the entry of glucose into the bloodstream steady, avoiding glucose spikes and sharp drops. Although Kids with Type I must continue to take their life-saving insulin, on the ABSCP they can often achieve good blood sugar control with less insulin.

It is mandatory, however, that children with Type I who are following the Atkins approach do it only under the close supervision of a doctor experienced in its use. The proram can be so effective in quickly lowering blood sugar and insulin requirements that accidental insulin overdose could occur."
    Hope this helps.

Linda (Coop)

Hello shobs :wave

I am a type 1 diabetic and i do atkins. Since i have done atkins i have been through 4 different doctors and they all discourage against it. It upsets me because it is the only diet i can actually lose weight on. I have heard from other type 1s that their doctors say it is ok, but i have yet to come across a doctor of my own that says that. They encourage a low carb diet, but not a low as atkins. My doctor told me a diet with around 30 - 40 carbs a day is no where as bad as 20 or less a day for a type 1.
    - Randi
    Everything happens for a Reason!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=50362387

246hw/ 219as/ 211.8cw/ 145gw

Normal Ticker:

Challenge Ticker:

http://randistype1diabeticblog.blogspot.com/

Default thanks and some more queries

Thanks Linda and Randi for your replies.I am going to look up more info on this The Atkins Blood Sugar Control Program (ABSCP) .Do u know where I can get this info? Both the children I mentioned are in India and it is a very different story there .
    Randi, I can't seem to remember are u type 1 from childhood or diagnosed later in life? One of the kids is my niece.I have type 2 and with atkins, my sugars are under control after a long long time.I am going to get my Hba1c checked end of this month. With such a strong family history , I want to help whoever I can , so asking about the age at diagnosis of type 1 ?

Thanks so much!!!

Cheers,
    Shobs

I was diagnosised at age 19 ( i am now 21).

Atkins gives great blood sugar control for type 2, and type 1s, however type 1s will still have to be on insulin even on atkins.

Please feel free to ask anything, we are here to help.
    - Randi
    Everything happens for a Reason!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=50362387

246hw/ 219as/ 211.8cw/ 145gw

Normal Ticker:

Challenge Ticker:

http://randistype1diabeticblog.blogspot.com/

Can you buy them the new book called Atkins Diabetic revolution and they can use it for guidance or to help a friendly doc work with them, see with a I will get lows as going from normal diet to a low carb diet but using less insulin immiediately..and in a lifetime using less insulin gives you longer life too. The other awesome book for I's is Dr Bernstein

Default Thanks

Thanks so much Canuck and Randi. Shall do that. And thanks for the info.

Cheers,
    Shobs

THE definitive book/information source on Type 1 Diabetes & Low Carbing is:
    'Diabetes Solution' by Dr Richard Bernstein who is himself a Type 1 diabetic who was diagnosed as such at 9 years old. Today he is healthy & active & in his 70's & the only Type 1 diabetic still alive from his childhood days.

This guy literally wrote the book on type 1 & low carbing, was riduculed by the medical establishment for decades & now is getting accolations by the same people who ridiculed him

As a parent of young Type 1 Diabetics I urge you to go to Amazon.com & buy this book & make it your bible.

You can read parts of it online at

http://www.diabetes-normalsugars.com/
    I try to take one day at a time but sometimes several days attack me at once

Started June 1, 2003
    Start 229/ Now at 188/ Goal 175

Straight White Male, Married, 56 Years Old looking for........