Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ADBB PCOS Support Group

• Display

Default Re: ADBB PCOS Support Group

I invited a women from soulcysters to share her great story with you all!

I hope she comes to post!

I have not visited soulcysters in forever! I am BabyKisses in there! But like I said, it has been awhile!

By the way, I'm sorry I missed your post yesterday, AuntieSocial. Welcome, and congrats on taking the steps to fix things. Isn't is amazing how differant experiences people with PCO have. I hope you lose those 10 pounds in no time... I know how good it feels to have things regulate. How much weight are you trying to lose? Good luck!
    ~Marion INDUCTION restart January 10, 2010

34, F, PCOS

SW 440/CW 438/ GW 175

Heh.. no problem!

I weighed myself after a slip-up last night and I'm down 15 lbs in 10 days.. amazing. From where I was when I started, I'd like to lose about 60 lbs. So 45 more lbs. It can be done!!

I'm really glad there's a PCOS forum on this site.

Wow.I must have been blind; I was looking for the thread and couldnt find it..

duhh.

Hi. This is my first post and I am starting here b/c Raheemah invited me to this thread from Soul Cysters. I am under the same name there. I often share my success with Atkins with other women with PCOS. I get so tired of the Low Carb diet myths when this diet has been nothing short of a miracle for me.

I was diagnosed with PCOS a week or so after my 15th birthday. I was in the hospital with acute pancreatitis. Little was said to me about it except that it would likely prevent me from having a baby, which even at such a young age was completely devistating. Due to problems with my period it was recommended that I consider a hysterectomy. I refused. My only dream was to someday be a mother. I couldn't let them take that completely away from me.

A lot happened over the next few years. I grew up, fell in love, and in my first year of college, at the age of 19, I got pregnant. It's kind of been the family secret since my now husband and I were not married at the time. The details of what happened are unimportant for this board. I have a condition called incompetent cervix and I miscarried twin boys at approximately 17 weeks. I didn't know it was IC at the time. I had to tell you about that to explain the next part. After I quit bleeding with the birth my period did not come back. I had spent several years with long, painful periods. I had been hospitalized with them on several occassions. The longest went for a straight 6 months before giving me a weeks reprieve. Now there was nothing at all. I didn't know what was happening, but it was somewhat of a relief. However, I knew without a period, there would be no baby.

It was also during this time that I began putting on a lot of weight. I had always struggled and yo-yoed with my weight, but nothing like this. Between the ages of 20 and 22 I jumped from a size 6 to a size 22/24. It happened so fast I didn't even see it happening. My husband and I got married when I was 23. In anticipation of this we started seeing a RE thinking that with help maybe we coul get pregnant on the honeymoon. We both wanted children and since I had been pregnant on my own, I could surely get pregnant with just a little help. I was wrong. Once we got started it became clear that this would not be easy for us. I had my periods induced with progesterone and we tried clomid first, soon moving up to injectables. My follicles were generally too small and were barely potentially viable. We discussed IVF briefly, but our income would not allow it. During this time I became diabetic as well. Bloodwork showed my bad cholesterol was too high and my good cholesterol was too low. To make matters worse, my liver enzymes were elevated and my doctor didn't want me on Avandia or Glucophage anymore. I went to using two types of insulin.

My DH and I were both disgusted with our weight. We decided to try the Atkins diet. We both lost weight so quickly. The big surprise came in the form of bloodwork and ultrasounds, though. My cholesterol was looking good and my liver enzymes were no longer elevated. My diabetes was completely under control with the diet and no meds. But the most wonderful thing for me showed on u/s, more follicles. Plenty of good sized follicles. I knew it was the diet. We managed to get pregnant 6 times. After getting a positive beta I would stop the diet. That's what all doctor's recommend right? Each time I lost the baby. On my 6th loss it hit me. I stop the diet and I lose the baby. I tried again immediately. I got pregnant and this time I didn't stop. I moved off induction and added carbs very gradually. I continued to lose a lot of weight, but I was eating plenty of veggies so my doctors were not concerned. My baby was doing so well. The scariest move was adding the fruit. I never ate much fruit, but at least some everyday. I usually liked grapes & cheese. I probably had more fruit and vegetables than most pregnant women. A lot of people criticised me for doing a "diet" while pregnant. It might have been advisable to just not tell people, but I wanted others to know how great it was. I wanted to shout it from the rooftops.

At 24 weeks my pregnant life took a sharp turn. I went to the doctor and was dilated to 4cm w/ bulging membranes. I think my heart stopped at that moment. It was happening again. I won't go into details about this, if you want to know the story it's on my website at www.myPCOSbaby.com. I also have an Incompetent Cervix website at www.fightIC.com. Long story short, I got a rescue cerclage and they were able to save my baby from extreme prematurity and possibly death. During my stay at the hospital they refused to feed me what I wanted. They insisted on putting me on their diabetic diet, which included things like mashed potatos and rolls. It was eat that or starve. My blood sugars immediately went out of control. They put me back on glucophage. I spent a week and a half in the hospital and when I got back home I got back on my diet and quit the glucophage. My blood sugars were completely normal. I had to log them and take them to my doctor. I told him that these were my sugars without meds. At 31 weeks my water broke and I was back in the hospital on full bedrest and at the mercy of their diet. Quickly I was back on glucophage. Within a couple of days they added 2 types of insulin. Even with all that they were haywire. I missed getting to eat and snack. Laying in the bed all day alone is really hard. I survived and gave birth to my beautiful baby at 36 weeks.

There is nobody on the planet that could ever convince me that I don't have the Atkins diet to thank (at least in a big way) for my miracle baby. It helped regulate my body and my hormones in a way that no medication ever could. Unfortunately, after the birth of my son our finances were haywire. The bills piled up and I stayed at home. Buying healthy foods was just impossible. During my pregnancy I had lost about 50 lbs. Now I put it all back on by eating pot pies and other really cheap foods. We reserved the healthy foods for my son. At least he could be spared our fate. Now things are better and we have just gotten back on the diet. We're still on induction and have already dropped a lot of weight. At first it was really hard, but already I feel so much better. A few months ago I had bloodwork done that showed I had problems with my cholesterol and liver enzymes again. I'm going to make sure and keep my copies of the bloodwork this time so when people start attacking the diet and it's "high fat, heart disease causing" qualities, I can show them the reality.

I don't know if anyone really wanted to read something that long, but that's the very condensed version. I hope it helps someone.

Smile Re: ADBB PCOS Support Group

With tears in my eyes.... Oh my gosh! What all you have been through, and all that God has done for you! You are right... This gives us ALL hope! There is a light at the end ladies.. even when we cant see it, it is still there! I will click on the full story maybe this weekend or something, when I have more time! Thank you so VERY much for sharing that with us! It is truely an honor to read something so real, and so beautiful an ending!

LaurAnnHere..Thank you so much for taking the time to come here and tell us your beautiful but heart wrenching story! What you have gone through, and continue to go through is amazing! What a tale of perseverance! I know you've given me hope, especially since I was able to conceive and bear a child once, I have every hope that with enough perseverance on this diet, I could have more. My son was born at 32 weeks weighing only 2 lbs. 3 oz. I too know how scary it is to have a frightening pregnancy and emergency delivery....I had toxemia. To go through that many miscarraiges must have been just heart breaking, but I'm so glad you now have your little one to comfort you! Congrats!

Antiesocial...CONGRATS ON THE BIG LOSS!!!! It is so exciting to have that initial drop to keep you going! You're a quarter of the way there already!
    "Weigh" to go!!!

34, F, PCOS

SW 440/CW 438/ GW 175

Another pound down this morning! 323! Hurrah! Now comes the weekend, and the party tonight...and temptation. But I've decided to go full, so I'm not as tempted, and maybe leave before they serve the cake. The worst is when the person feels insulted if you don't taste the cake they worked hard on, and no excuse about not being able to have sugar is accepted. Hopefully this gal won't be like that.

A question for you other PCOS'ers....do you get leg aches alot.? I don't mean cramps, because I get those sometimes and this is differant. Its a general achiness in my thighs, that leaves me miserable. Midol is the only thing that lessens the pain, and it used to be I would get them right before my period. Now I get them everytime I restart induction, and this time its lasting for several days. Any ideas?

34, F, PCOS

SW 440/CW 438/ GW 175

For some reason this is not on my subscribed threads so I didn't know there had been any messages after I posted. Thank you all for you words.

Marion - The only time my legs get achy is after being on my feet for long periods of time. I assume this is just muscle fatigue in my case.
    Laura (29)
    DH - Matthew (32)
    DS - Jamie born 8/3/04 / read about him at www.myPCOSbaby.com A lot of miracles helped me have this baby, but it never would have happened without Atkins.

Back on Atkins 6/24/06

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast