Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ADBB PCOS Support Group

• Display

Default ADBB PCOS Support Group

Just wanted to start a thread for us "cysters" to be able to vent about symptoms, cravings, doctors, and the up side too...what things are getting better, what things you've tried that work etc. This forum could be so helpful if we'ld all take a little time to share our experiences more often.

I started the diet in June 2004...and I joined the ADBB then too. There wasn't a forum for PCOS at that time, yet all the PCOS'ers in the Women's Forum were asking for one. Here it is, and I know first and second hand that the reason no one is coming here after their initial hello, is because...no one comes here. TooBigForMySize has been so helpful to everyone, and I'm so grateful...so lets join her ladies! Lets visit at least once a week, and let each other know how we're doing!

First entry...Doing good! I lapsed over the winter and spring months after finally regaining my cycle last year..and what do you know! It stopped again. Well...Since getting restarted, I started having a cycle again this month. I'm so hoping that as the pounds come off, my ovulating will return too. This diet has given me hope like I haven't had in years. On the down side, I have some acne coming back. Can't win 'em all right? But the fight's worth winning! Just one day at a time!
    ~Marion INDUCTION restart January 10, 2010

34, F, PCOS

SW 440/CW 438/ GW 175

Default Re: ADBB PCOS Support Group

when Desertthorn was lobbying for this forum I promised her I'd leak my 2BIG brain as best I could to help answer posts but I don't have PCOS so actual experiences with it I'm totally lacking in.
    by the book atkinseer

[I]

Dear Maribelle,

I agree with you, there HAS to be more of us out on this forum that have PCOS. I'm glad you said what you said about no one coming here...sad but true.
    Just wanted to briefly re-tell my experience.
    I started my periods when I was about 12 or so, but they almost completely stopped when I was 13. By the time I was 16, the doctors were getting concerned, so they gave me several rounds of progesterone pills, none of which worked. They did an ultrasound, and everything seems all right, so the doctor did blood work and found out that my hormones were out of wack...too much testosterone, not enough estrogen. Thus begins my looong saga of birth control pills....for YEARS. None of which produced a menstrual period. In fact, the week that I got off the pill was so horrible (migraines) my doctor told me not to EVER get off of them....just stay on them every day, day in and day out. This bothered me, since I know the body needs a rest, but I couldnt make myself go through all the side effects. The doctor said I was the worst case of PCOS he's ever seen.
    I have also had problems with hair on my face, stomach, too much (too thick) on legs. This is an embarassing problem, so my doctors yet again switched me to a different form of birth control called "Yasmin." For those of you who need help with too much hair, this really did work, but it took about 6 months for it to make a really noticeable change, but the hair thinned considerably.
    Time has passed, I'm 26 years old, and I decided to get off the hormones. I have been off the pill now for about 4 months....no wacky side effects this time, for some reason. Actually, a very good transition. Still no periods, however.
    Then enter ATKINS WOL. I started this way of life May 4th of this year. Within ONE WEEK I started a period....not a little one, either, a real cleansing one. I was excited...for a person who has only had a handful of periods in her whole life, this was like a dream come true. I couldnt believe it.
    However, I secretly wondered if it would ever come back again. I doubted it greatly, but this month, (June), I had one right on schedule. When I started, I almost cried. I cant believe it. This diet had done what thousands of dollars and a decade of pills has not been able to TOUCH.
    Will I have one next month?? I dont know....we'll see. At least I know I CAN have one...I was beginning to think that part of me was literally dead.
    Besides the benefits of starting my periods, my migraine headaches (which I was getting every week and were completely debilitating) have completely VANISHED. My skin is beautiful, I have a ton of energy, and I 've lost 27 pounds. Life is VERY good...and people are noticeing.
    THere is another issue...I'm beginning to think that someday I might actually be able to have KIDS!. Since I never had any periods, I assumed that that was not even an option. Maybe someday I will be able to post on the "pregnancy" forum??
    Sorry to ramble on...was only going to give a short comment, but I think people need to know and appreciate just what a powerful diet we are on. It had helped (and in the case of the migraines, completely cured) two of my most severe health problems.
    Thanks for taking the time to read, and good luck all you fellow PCOS-ers!!
    Sarah

Sounds like you are reaping the benefits of the low carb Atkins plan. It is greatfor PCOS androgen symptoms because it is the high amount of insulin present that interfers with the conversion of the androgen molecule which is the precursor molecule for estrogen molecules. with the insulin production reduced more androgent becomes estrogen and the male charactoristics go away and female TOM returns.
    by the book atkinseer

[I]

Sarah...I'm so happy that Atkins is providing the help those horrible BC Pills didn't. The health risks from taking them are out of this world, and yet what doctor would even consider suggesting Atkins as a way to fix things? It took longer for Atkins to start producing results in me...almost a whole year. But now I have had more periods in the last year than I have had in the whole 7 years since having my son! Its such an exciting thing to start normalizing. Unfortunately I'm not sure if I'm ovulating with these cycles, as I've not gotten pregnant. And I don't trust doctors enough anymore to go back to getting tested to see. They just can't seem to think for themselves and will quote to me the same BS they are all saying. The odd thing is, despite my cycle being more normal now, I'm still having all the hair problems. I had hoped that with my insulin coming under control, the hair would as well. I refuse to take a prescription for it though, as it isn't worth the risk of serious side effects...just my lot in life to have to deal with.

I hope you continue to lose at the wonderful rate you are now, and that each milestone reveals more relief from your symptoms.

2big...thank you for the explanation. I was wondering just how exactly it all worked!

34, F, PCOS

SW 440/CW 438/ GW 175

This would be great!

I would love to keep up with others who have pcos..
    I am just coming back. I didnt even complete 7 days of induction!
    The cravings were so hard for me! But i am willing to give it another 100% try!

Does anyone have a pcos journal?

Thumbs up Re: ADBB PCOS Support Group

SUCCESS STORY! Someone in this forum has had her period for the first time in her life thanks to ATKINS and PRAYER!!! She is trying to conceive, and this is such a positive sign! I hope she will stop in and take a bow, but if she doesn't, know there is hope here ladies! Hope for sure!

Also Hello and welcome to Raheemah! You can do it! When those cravings come, get out and walk...get anywhere and do something away from food! You're taking the right steps to improving your life, and although its hard, telling yourself to just walk away gets easier after awhile. I understand about the cravings...around my cycle, I JUST GOTTA HAVE SUGAR!!! But its amazing how much more pain I experience and lethargia I go through when I have a period with sugar versus without! One step at a time, and soon you'll be a month into Atkins, a few pounds down, and feeling like a new woman!

34, F, PCOS

SW 440/CW 438/ GW 175

Hey, I'm pretty new to this forum -- lurking without posting for about a week now. Ive been doing induction for a week and a half (with no cheating, the longest Ive ever stuck with any sort of weight loss plan), but I was also diagnosed with PCOS when I was 14. My weight has yo-yo'd in the last five or so years, but Ive found that when my weight is under a certain amount, I have completely normal cycles. Right now, I'm about 10 lbs over that limit, and whenever I go over that limit, my cycles may or may not come. Ive been known to go as long as a year without a period. I hate taking BC pills because they cause all sorts of problems with me, so I'd rather try to solve that problem through healthy diet/exercise. The last time I was having normal cycles, I got down to a lower weight by starving myself. Once I started eating normally (and moved to a new city), I gained that weight back plus 15 lbs. So, clearly, it's time to start doing something healthier than starving myself.

Unhappy Re: ADBB PCOS Support Group

Well, I will take my bow! Or do a dance instead! LOL! Yes, I experienced my period.... But I am confused!

My period lasted like only one hour or so! Last night while I was sleeping, NOTHING and then today... NOTHING! I know I should be patient with myself, but I am not! I loved the feeling of being normal! I want more!

Has anyone else had that happen? When you finally did get periods? Did it start... only to stop right away? And did it come back? Really need help here!

I sent you my history in the pm reply, but just for others who may be going through the same thing, yes, I had the same trouble when I started. I had periods usually 9 to 11 months out of the year before I had my son. After my periods were maybe 1 a year, unless induced by synthetic hormones (which I will never take again!!!). I started Atkins 2 years ago today, and within a month, I dealt with PMS at the beginning of every week, then nothing, then again the following week. Finally I started spotting once a month for maybe a day. After one year, I got my first non induced normal period, and then one every 6-8 weeks through January, when I wasn't doing the diet well. Last month I got started on the diet again, and bang, I had a full period again. It really pays to stay on track, and get those hormones regulated. I know many people have found natural progesterone cream to be a great relief, that helps bring on a period. It has helped me in the past, but I always end up forgetting to use it after a cople days, and messing up my hormones even worse. Keep you chin up, Tirtle, its an awesome start!

34, F, PCOS

SW 440/CW 438/ GW 175

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast