Thread: Can we use fat or low fat as a diabetic?

• Display

Default Can we use fat or low fat as a diabetic?

I see that some people use baking as a medium for chicken wings etc. They also use PAM, is this b'cos as a diabetic, we should use low-fat recipes or is it that even if I am a diabetic on induction, I should not use low fat? AS I usually fry the chicken wings to increase the fat content.

Also as I am having major surgery soon, is it ok to keep the fat content the same as before or do I reduce it?
    Worried and thanks in advance

I wouldn't worry about the fat before your surgery. The most important thing I can recommend (I had major surgery last year) is to make sure your bowels are completely empty before the surgery. It makes it easier to heal after, and MUCH less painful. My surgery was on a Tuesday, and the hospital told me no solid food after midnight on the Sunday before. Clear broth and clear fluid on the Monday until 8:00 at night. After gynie surgery, your bowels move slower for a while and they are usually irritated. I had surgery before last year and this is the best advice I can give you. I too am diabetic. Canuck is right your BG may rise after surgery, this is normal. I had to have insulin shots in the hospital, but was fine after.
    Binsk
    48 yr. old F,5'5, 272/224/160 Started Mar 23/04
    Restarted Jan. /06 268/235/160

the fat is fine for a diabetic it is the carbs and the proteins you need to be concernered about. Have you read the Diabetic solutions book?

Being on Atkins and in ketosis will not effect surgical results many have had surgery while eating Atkins. I'm sure your surgical team is aware you are a diabetic and they will take the needed steps to keep your blood sugars stable.
    by the book atkinseer

[I]

Default Thanks, questionf or binsk

Thanks, the nurse only told me to be fasting the night before.I think I will follow Binsk's advise.Also at the moment I am constipated, never had this prob earlier.Could it be the stress?What do I do? I do not want to take something new prior to surgery.
    Binsk, did u start atkins immediate post-operative period or how did u start?
    Thanks so much,
    Shobs

Shobs, I did not start Atkins until late March of this year, and my surgery was on March 11 last year. It was a long recovery after my surgery. I was in intensive care for 2 days, and then tranferred to the regular ward. I had every tube imaginable stuck into me. There were three tubes in my neck ( one was a "central line" that goes into your heart ). I had drainage tubes, a "super public cathetar" pick lines and an epidural to administer the pain medication, IV and a line to administer narcotics by needle, because apparently some drugs sting when injected. When I got home, I was on bed rest for a while and used a walker to get up the go to the bathroom. I had nurses come in the morning and afternoon 7 days a week. That went on until August. Actually I was cut down to one nurse visit a day in early July.

The people on this BB are the only ones I let know that I do Atkins. I tell everyone else that I am eating healthy for my diabetes. Last year was tough on those that care about me, and I don't want them to worry. Well they still worry. I have to wait another 4 years until I can say that I am cancer free.

Atkins will be helpful for you post surgery as you will be eating protien and your body needs that to repair itself. Your body perceives surgery no differently than any other trauma such as a car accident. You will probably not be able to eat alot after. Take it slowly. Small salad, chicken broth with veggies and chicken in it. Tuna salad is good. Try to stock your house with foods that are easy to digest and not too heavy. Drink lots, broth, water, tea, drink drink drink. Do not forget vitamins. Your body needs these to heal, and your diet probably can't provide enough. Take lots of naps. Your body does most of its major repair work while you sleep. SLEEP IS VERY IMPORTANT. Hope this helps.

When is your surgery?
    Binsk
    48 yr. old F,5'5, 272/224/160 Started Mar 23/04
    Restarted Jan. /06 268/235/160

Default For Binsk

It is on next Tuesday, and I too will have to wait for the surgery to know whether it is just a benign thing or something more! these days are terrible and thanks for ur help.Please pray for me.Shall try to find ur e-mail id now.

Default Re: Can we use fat or low fat as a diabetic?

Quote Originally Posted by shobs
    I see that some people use baking as a medium for chicken wings etc.

:wave I'm guilty of not owning a deep fryer, and having 2 kids who like to hang out in the kitchen with me when I cook LOL.
    F 41!!! 5'3" Start July 15/04
    209/164.5/135

Re-induction Start Jan 4/06, time to lose these last 30lbs!!!

45lbs gone and maintained for almost 2 years!!!