Thread: Atkins bad for cholestoral ????

• Display

Default Atkins bad for cholestoral ????

SW: 325
    RSW: 278
    2/23/05: 259.5
    ** Goal Weight: 220 ** M

I think Moochie will be the first to tell you she's an exception.

Here are a few more posts than you can read about showing success with lowering cholesterol. To find more, use the search feature:

http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...ht=cholesterol

30/f 182/137/130 5'5
    "Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn"

Think PINK for Dawn!!

aight - thanks
    SW: 325
    RSW: 278
    2/23/05: 259.5
    ** Goal Weight: 220 ** M

As the medical world is discovering more about cholesterol they are moving away for a high fat diet as the cause of it. As so our body=ies release more cholesterol into our blood stream when we lose weight on any program that is a normal weight loss phenom and will correct itself within a few weeks if that was the cause of your high readings.

Did you know less then 25% of the cholesterol in your cholesterol test values came from the foods you ate? Our livers are very efficent at making cholesterol as it is a vital compound for us to survive. You'd be a brainless puddle on the floor without it as next to water it is the largest component of our brains and every cell in the human body uses it in the cell membrane.

Dr Atkins says in the absence of carbs we will burn triglycerides for energy which is the form fats are stored in out bodies and in many of our foods. Our HDL will go up from both our diet and our increased exercsie as most coming to Atkins are couch pototoes when they arrive in induction. With the increase in HDL it should assist our bodies in removing some of the LDL ( the bad stuff) from our blood stream. It should also cause the LDL to go down as we will be using more bile (which is made from LDL) in our food digestion, and the higher fiber foods both the soluble and insoluble ones we are eating should assist in blocking much of the cholesterol in our foods from entering our bodies.

Then there are the cholesterol lowering effects of the Omegas he says we need to be eating in the correct balance, the effects of the nuts and guess what Coffee has a chemical that raises the bad LDL so ginging up your coffee for induction will help lower your cholesterol too. pretty smnart of the guy uh?

Despite all that help some of use have genes that are excellent at cranking out the stuff much better then others on those of us that have those genes need more help getting out bad cholesterol down. We would have high Cholesterol no matter what eating plan we followed.

We can cut down the foods our liver uses for making cholesterol and force it to recycle already made stuff, we can attack the carrier molecules that move it out of the blood stream and into the cells at the bottle neck point and increase this action through drugs like statins or foods that minic the drugs like soy and stenols sp?

You can work with your doctor to continue eating your Atkins program if your Cholesterol goes up or falis to come down to a healthy level and not change to another program. there are just as many folk on South Beach with cholesterol problems as AtkinsWOE.
    by the book atkinseer

[I]

In a subsequent email (that I'm too tired to find right now, sorry) I talked about how I didn't want anyone to feel that Atkins was unhealthy just because of how it affected me. I maintain that Atkins is a wonderful WOL and it's helped me greatly, but it also happens to raise my cholesterol.
    I considered South Beach, but I'm doing what was suggested and cutting down my saturated fats. In a few months I'll be retested and we'll see whether it's a genetic thing or diet related.

If anything, this is a testament to making sure you do as Dr. Atkins advised and have your own personal physician work with you through the whole weight loss process. I got blood tests done a week before I started, then at six weeks, then at three months and so on. It's a comfort to me to know that I'm being monitored, and everyone should be doing the same, so they know where they're at.

I've seen lots of messages about how people's cholesterol was lowered by Atkins...unfortunately it appears I'm not one of those people, that's all. Don't blow this up into "Atkins is unhealthy" please.
    F 42 5' 194/142.5/125

not all fat is created equally. If cholesterol is a big concern add more fish, olive oil and avacado and less butter. And avoid transfats like the plague, they are so bad for you and in so many things. Read those labels, they hide everywhere. DH had some truly off the wall readings about 7 years ago. cholesterol went from 240 to 169 (this last visit) and triglycerides went from 1900 (not a typo, scary I know, we had no idea) to 350. We are still working on it. He doesn't choose to do Atkins (unfortunately, it would be easier), but he is diligent about what fats he consumes. Be a smart consumer. Choose wisely.
    a work in progress. starting again
    size 18/ size 12-14/ would love to be a 6-8
    my scale drives me batty/sizes are easier

That's exactly what I've done...more fish, little to no butter, more olive oil and no trans fats. Honestly it's been absolutely painless to make these changes and I'm interested to see how the numbers go in the future.

Oh, and I found what I wrote in that other message too :

TO ANYONE WHO IS WORRIED ABOUT THEIR CHOLESTEROL:
    Remember than everybody's experience with Atkins is unique, and by all means don't let my results affect your feelings about Atkins! It may turn out that this isn't for me, or more likely it's going to be that I need to make some changes, but this is my journey, and I don't want this to scare anyone off.
    F 42 5' 194/142.5/125

I was one of those at the 6 month cholesterol retest who's numbers were LDL number was up and the doc was concerned. We discuseed changes i thought I could make to help it and he agreed to 3 months well in three months ov sat fats under 20grams a day and more nuts and flax poof mine was back in the acceptable range. i thought in my most recent test i was introuble again with the LDL but it turned out the HDL is so high, 102 it pushed the total over 200 and he said I was very healthy and keep doing what I'm doing.
    by the book atkinseer

[I]