Thread: Hair loss and pcos

• Display

Default Hair loss and pcos

Anyone experience hair loss as one of their symptoms..and has the diet helped?
    Claudia 36 yo 5'5
    297/238/175
    Start : 4/4/07
    pre-atkins BP 160/110, insulin resistent, hypothyroidism
    currently normal bp..off meds yay!

pre-atkins

Default Re: Hair loss and pcos

I have some thinning hair in the front. I haven't noticed any real change as yet. I have noticed less hirsutism, though, I think.

I hope the diet helps for you!
    Ann
    started Atkins on 6-7-03
    156.2/129.8/120
    Restarted Atkins on 3/25/07
    F/32/5'3.5"
    181.6/146.0/140?
    1st Goal: BMI under 30 - recommended by RE for fertility issues - MET!! 4/22/07
    2nd Goal: 156.2 - MET!! 5/30/07
    3rd Goal: Size 8 for my brother's wedding (6/16/07)MET!!
    4th Goal: 143 --- to be within healthy weight range
    Labor Day Challenge Goal: 138.2

WORK IT!: The 2007 Labor Day Challenge

My hair is falling out and I am really bothered by it. If anything stops me from this diet that would be it. I have to make the hair loss less severe right now or something because it takes years for my hair to grow back to my length again.
    Kawispice

female, 147/139/125

Kawispice, are u taking vitamins? Especially b-complex..that seems to at least slow down my hair loss. Also a lot of meds can cause it. (metformin in particular)
    Ugh..its scary..i dont want to lose anymore hair either! No one in my family has this problem. Ive been hoping the diet would help. We'll see..
    Claudia 36 yo 5'5
    297/238/175
    Start : 4/4/07
    pre-atkins BP 160/110, insulin resistent, hypothyroidism
    currently normal bp..off meds yay!

pre-atkins

I take Biotin and regular vitamin supplements and HRT but mine is compounded without the dreaded estradiol.

I guess it is the fact that I am dieting, the change in the body, and I have to exercise a lot to get any weight loss. If I slowed my rate of loss down it slows down my hair fall out. I just wanted to lose quickly to get into some gear I need for the Spring and Summer.
    Kawispice

female, 147/139/125

This is a relief (but not a relief if you get my drift) to realize that others are experiencing my same issue with PCOS. For a few years, my hair has been coming out in horrible amounts when I wash it...it has thinned, but the worst part is in the front. I've always had thick, shiny hair that I've taken pride in...this is a constant worry for me! My ob/gyn didn't have much to say about it except refer me to a dermatologist who thought my ob/gyn should address the issue. I told him that she sent me to him...so, he acknowledged the hair loss and told me to start on Biotin and women's Rogaine. So far I've been taking the Rogaine for about a month...box says 4 months before noticeable regrowth. Anyone else tried Rogaine? I've been taking the Biotin for a couple of months...my nails have definitely grown!

A reply to this :
    Quote Originally Posted by Polkadots View Post
    This is a relief (but not a relief if you get my drift) to realize that others are experiencing my same issue with PCOS. For a few years, my hair has been coming out in horrible amounts when I wash it...it has thinned, but the worst part is in the front. I've always had thick, shiny hair that I've taken pride in...this is a constant worry for me! My ob/gyn didn't have much to say about it except refer me to a dermatologist who thought my ob/gyn should address the issue. I told him that she sent me to him...so, he acknowledged the hair loss and told me to start on Biotin and women's Rogaine. So far I've been taking the Rogaine for about a month...box says 4 months before noticeable regrowth. Anyone else tried Rogaine? I've been taking the Biotin for a couple of months...my nails have definitely grown!
    I have used Monoxidil 5% not 2% as that is useless. Rogaine (minoxidil) helps a little you get fuzz etc mostly it prevents more hair loss. I use 5X5000 Biotin every day also helps with hair loss my doctor recommended 5X8000 but I can't get those capsules. What works, and I paid an expensive international dietary expert, Dr. Zoltan Rona, for his advice: is MSM 2 capsules in the am and 2 in the pm. Makes hair grow TWICE as fast all over the body maybe nails too I haven't watched that. There you go, no charge, I paid a lot for this information. It should work for you. Let me know in 6 weeks, K?
    Kawispice

female, 147/139/125

Why would Metformin cause hair loss? If it lowers your blood sugar and helps you become more insulin sensitive, then that would cause your ovaries to produce less androgen / testosterone, so shouldn't that help with the hair loss?
    F, 36 yrs. old, PCOS
    173/151/130
    "Leap and the net will appear!"

I began losing my hair around age 20. It's absolutely awful. The only thing that I found helps is Yasmin birth control. I tried them all. Lots of people hate Yasmin but it seems to work well for me. Doesn't prevent or reverse the hair loss, just slows it down. I've been heavily highlighting my hair for 10 years because it plumps up the hair shaft and makes it look thicker. Expensive and annoying but necessary. I've also been on Metformin for about a year, which helped me lose 20 pounds, but has had no effect on the hair. if you are just now seeing it at 36, count yourself lucky.
    F, 36 yrs. old, PCOS
    173/151/130

What is MSM? Thanks.
    F, 36 yrs. old, PCOS
    173/151/130