Thread: CRP and bloodwork Questions

• Display

Default CRP and bloodwork Questions

I want my husband to try Atkins. I've been encouraging him to read the book, but he hasn't had time yet. To be fair he's ungodly busy at work and works late many nights. In the mean time he's trying to watch his carbs, and from what he says he eats for lunch I think he is (I make breakfast and dinner and those are Atkins legal LOL). He keeps thing like slim jims, cheese, nuts, etc., for snacks at work. The only sugar he seems to be having is one can of Pepsi edge a day (no, he won't switch to diet, this IS the compromise). I have bullied.. err, I mean persuaded him to drink a lot more water now though

He hadn't had a physical in a number of years so he went in for a checkup. His bloodwork came back, and I didn't think it was that bad but maybe it is, because the Dr. wrote on the paper he should be on cholesterol lowering meds because his CRP is 6.83 and normal is between 0-3.00. For the life of me, I don't even know what CRP is.

The rest was this:

Total cholesterol: 174
    HDL: 32 (little low, better is 50-60)
    LDL: 120 (little high, better is under 100)
    Triglycerides: 130 (below 150 is better)

My questions is this, first of all what is CRP and 2d of all, if I can get him to read the book and actually follow Atkins, will that help this CRP so he can avoid meds? I know Atkins did wonders for my own bloodwork when I was on it before and I expect the same results now that I'm back myself.

Thanks for any insights

Edited: I've googled CRP and am now reading up on it. Is this a new test they're doing nowdays? Even last year when I had my bloodwork done, I don't remember CRP.
    Female/45/5'5
    283/202/150

I love google. I think I answered my own questions LOL. Here's what I'm finding:

From About.com: http://heartdisease.about.com/cs/oth...ors/a/CRP1.htm

How are elevated CRP levels treated?
    There's the rub. We still don't know the best ways to reduce CRP levels, or even whether reducing CRP levels will, in turn, reduce cardiovascular risk. However, there is suggestive evidence that both aspirin and statin drugs can reduce CRP levels and cardiac risk even in people with normal cholesterol levels. There is a good argument to be made for taking daily aspirin if CRP levels are elevated, and some doctors would even start therapy with statins in these circumstances. (A large randomized trial is being planned to test statins in patients with high CRP and normal cholesterol levels. Unfortunately, it will be several years before the results of this study will be available.)

Certain lifestyle changes can also lead to a reduction in CRP levels. Smoking elevates the CRP levels, so quit smoking. Further, metabolic syndrome x is associated with high CRP levels. This fact provides us with yet another compelling reason to reduce our weight and exercise regularly. And finally, a common cause of elevated CRP levels is periodontal disease (gum disease) - and poor oral hygiene has been associated with a risk of heart attacks and stroke. In fact, dentists are engaged in studies to see whether an antibiotic gel rubbed on the gums can reduce CRP levels and cardiovascular events.

Certain lifestyle changes can also lead to a reduction in CRP levels I think that answers my question on diet
    Female/45/5'5
    283/202/150