Thread: Excess hair?!

• Display

Default Excess hair?!

Hi guys,
    I have been here for a while, but was diagnosed with PCOS on my 19th birthday... I have HORRIBLE excess facial hair and have been prescribed Metformin and Spirolactone to help with my PCOS symptoms. What I really want to know though is will this combination of drugs and doing atkins make it go away? This is a horrible and self esteem breaking thing to have to deal with at 19 years of age and depresses me very much. :no
    Female, 19
    SW: 225
    CW: 220
    GW1: 190
    GW2: 160

Blog Entries

I don't know the answer, but I would bet that if low carb helps you start having normal periods and all the other symptoms go away, that also should go away.

41 pounds down and counting

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else. - Yogi Berra

if you actually are insulin ressitant PCOS not all are then low carbing on Atkins will help you as with blood sugar control your body will not produce as much insulin and the cells will again get sensitive to it just as your tastebuds will become very sugar sensative in a few weeks of atkinsd induction eating without the bars and desserts. When your cellsa re more r4esponsive to that insulin your body will not have to produce as much to do its job and the high insulin will not interfer with your body converting the androgen we all have as the precursor of estrogen in out bodies and you will get more estrogen produced using up the androgen which is causing the male sex expressed symptoms and you will also get more phymale expressed symptoms like periods and even fertility is possible if your tubing is working right.

Happy low carbing
    by the book atkinseer

[I]

Hey Ya'll:
    I was reading your post and thought of something. ALthough, i dont't have PCOS, i do have some facial hair I hate.
    One of my friends is getting laser. Its painless and it only takes about three sessions and all the hair is gone, and gone for good. She goes to a place in Houston, TX that has a slidding scale payment system. Do ya'll have services likr that there?
    I think she initially paid 200.00 and frm there it dropped considerabally. I know it sounds like a lot , but the results do work wel. Look into it, Take care

Whhoops!
    i forgot to sign off!
    Good luck!~
    Jue

Whhoops!
    i forgot to sign off!
    Good luck!~
    Jue

Default Re: Excess hair?!

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie
    Hi guys,
    I have been here for a while, but was diagnosed with PCOS on my 19th birthday... I have HORRIBLE excess facial hair and have been prescribed Metformin and Spirolactone to help with my PCOS symptoms. What I really want to know though is will this combination of drugs and doing atkins make it go away? This is a horrible and self esteem breaking thing to have to deal with at 19 years of age and depresses me very much. :no
    Hi sweetie!

I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2003. I have never been on Met but I have been on Spyrolactone. I have been told by 3 doctors that the facial hair will never completely go awy unless I laser it. there is no combination at this time of meds that will make it go away. Even diet and execersize will make it go completely away.

That being said, I have lost 50 pounds since then and I am finding that although the thicker patches of hair are still there, the thinner patches are thinning. That leads me to believe that it will thin out. Until I can afford to do the laser treatments, plucking every day will have to do it!
    Karen

38, 5'4" Female

Hi Sweetie,
    first of all please do not call us all GUYS in there..there are plenty of GIRLS and I'm sure that's who was your intended audience. ..Second yes, Metformin, spirolactone and BP does work ..but watch out for side effects as there could be some nasty gas and stomach pain..from someone who has taken all 3

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    Hi guys,

with medication you can only help to prevent further hair growth and some will even thin it out a little. I have PCO and facial hair. Because i'm intolerant to the medication they put me on I am trying atkins to help with the PCOS. I am currently undergoing the laser treatment for the hair. 6 sessions once a month. Thereafter it will be maintenance forever (once every 6-8months). You might think it's not worth it then but it is. the hair that remains is because it is a hormonal issue and will always return while you have hormones . However the laser treatment stops the hair growth for a long period of time and also lightens some of the hair so that when it grows back it's not quite so bad. I understand your pain. I'm hoping that with a weight loss and low sugar/carb diet that the symptoms will get better, but I know it will be life long.

I also has PCOS with the facial/neck hair. Its horrible! When i was doing atkins last time it reduced so much that i hardly noticed it, it was alot lighter as well, but i know that everyone with PCOS is different. I struggle at the moment with plucking every day which isnt great but hey i did go off atkins for 1 year (big mistake). I used to work at a laser clinic and the treatment is very effective, however in the UK if you have, blond, grey, red hair it cant be treated . I had treatment before i started atkins the first time and i had 6 sessions and there was NO hair for 12 months. If you can afford this option it is really good!
    Age-29
    Height-5"2
    Start Weight 203lbs