Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Atkins after thyroidectomy

• Display

Default Re: Atkins after thyroidectomy

Hi all. I am still around. I never did lose any weight but I didnt stick to the diet. I started taking natural thyroid which worked great but then it got backordered and my doctors refused to prescribe it. Then he lowered my dosage on Sythroid and I gained another 10-12 lbs. Sooo...now I am back with a renewed interest in Atkins. I have had stressful work issues this year and just have not been able to get focused enough to plan out a diet and fitness strategy. I am glad to read that people with low or no thyroid are definitely losing weight. Now I just need to get motivated and go back and review the induction.
    Re-start date 2/14/12

225/223/145

Blog Entries
    Images

Good luck. Welcome back

Thanks! I am starting tomorrow. I went to the grocery store today and stocked up on all my induction foods and got some sugar free tums since I have to take calcium every day due to the parathyroidectomy. I found out they have .5 carbs so I will just have to factor them in. I can't take the calcium citrate tablets because I have acid reflux and they make it worse.

Wish me luck, I'm going to need it, but I feel really psyched. I am grateful for this site and being able to read about everyone's progress. I'm going to try this time not to let life issues stand in my way.
    Re-start date 2/14/12

225/223/145

Serum calcium, sodium, potassium, chloride, magnesium, phosphorus, osmolarity, total protein, albumin, parathyroid hormone, and calcitonin values were systematically surveyed in 135 patients who underwent thyroidectomy and in 104 control surgical patients. A transient and moderate hypocalcemia developed after operation in thyroidectomized and control patients. Concentrations of other electrolytes, osmolarity, proteins, and albumin followed the same pattern of evolution. After thyroidectomy, the degree and duration of hypocalcemia increased with the extent of thyroid resection. A profound hypocalcemia (<2.0 mmol/L) and a marked reduction of the parathyroid hormone concentration (below normal) were present in 12% and 8% of cases after subtotal thyroidectomy and in 22% after total thyroidectomy. Calcitonin values did not increase after thyroidectomy. A slight correlation was observed between the preoperative serum alkaline phosphatase level and the minimal postoperative serum calcium level. It is concluded that postthyroidectomy hypocalcemia is a multifactorial phenomenon. It is due, at least in part, to hemodilution. A temporary parathyroid insufficiency after subtotal and total thyroidectomy, and an avidity of the skeleton for calcium in hyperthyroid patients, may aggravate the hypocalcemia.

http://sciencestage.com/d/770914/hyp...idectomy-.html
    Last edited by liv; April 5th, 2010 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Since this is a direct quote I am adding the source

They actually took out my parathyroid glands along with my thyroid gland. The parathyroids were not functioning and were throwing me into a hypercalcemic state causing me to have kidney stones. Basically the calcium was being leached from my bones and going straight into my bloodstream. The doctor said I will have to take calcium supplements the rest of my life now because the parathyroid gland is what helps your body to control calcium uptake.

The Role of the Parathyroid Glands -- to Regulate Calcium.

The ONLY purpose of the parathyroid glands is to regulate the calcium level in our bodies within a very narrow range so that the nervous and muscular systems can function properly. This is all they do. They measure the amount of calcium in the blood every minute of every day... and if the calcium levels go down a little bit, the parathyroid glands recognize it and make parathyroid hormone (PTH) which goes to the bones and takes some calcium out (makes a withdrawal from the calcium vault) and puts it into the blood. When the calcium in the blood is high enough, then the parathyroids shut down and stop making PTH
    Re-start date 2/14/12

225/223/145

Update: It's a slow process for me. I'm at close to 5 weeks and have only lost 16 lbs but I am grateful for that...actually I think if I can lose 10 lbs a month I will be happy.
    Re-start date 2/14/12

225/223/145

Blog Entries
    Images

Being happy is what it is about.
    You are getting healthier and pounds are staying off - not coming on.
    Thanks for the update Carly

Blog Entries

I'm going to be getting a thyroidectimy and I've heard such contradictory things. Some people say that after you're on the meds it's as if you were a person with "high metabolism" so that it should be easier to lose weight on the program, others say it is insanely hard to lose anything after the thyroid is out. It's very confusing to me and making me nervous. This thread helps, and I hope more people post on it with their experience.
    5'11" 32 yo Female
    Trying since 1/1/2010

268/220.6/180>

First mini-goal: 214 (no longer "obese" BMI)
    Second mini-goal: 202 (lowest adult weight)
    Third mini-goal: Onederland
    Ultimate goal: 180

Well, it is now January 2012 and things have changed for me. At first I thought Levo was ok, but it just didn't work as well as Synthroid. So I started on syn and did so much better. But eventually he bumped me up to .88 of Syn. I did fine and lost 30 lbs some from doing Atkins and then the hcg diet. Over 2010-2011 my weight has fluctuated so much. I am now taking cytomel .5 once a day. My energy level is better but over the last 3 months I am up to 168 altho I had lost down to 144 in Dec of 2009.

NOw that the holidays are over I am ready to do Atkins again. I am so sorry I did the HCG. It is a starvation diet and when you stop you will gain it all back unless you eat only 500-600 cals a day forever. Who can do that?
    Anyway, I feel good most of the time, and when my feet hurt, I know my TSH is too high.

As for the question...do you lose weight on meds? Initially when I started at .75 I lost 11 lbs on Atkins. I should have stayed on Atkins, but I switched to the hcg. I did HCG because I had reached a plateau on Atkins. So I did get down to 144 and was a size 10.

At age 62 that was low enough for me. Over the last 2 years I have gone from 144 to 156 back down to 145 back up to 168!!

Last fall I wanted to lose 10 lbs to get back down to 144 and I did it effortlessly on Atkins.

I believe that if you have no T gland or 1/2 like me, Atkins is the oNLY WAY to keep the weight off. A high protein, low carb diet. Atkins, is my go-to eating life-style plan.
    I can do it in my sleep.

I would say, after reading my old posts, I have to laugh because I thought that I would drop 25 lbs in no time just from being on meds. Boy was I naive.
    Obviously that did happen but only thru serious dieting.

My feeling is this: The meds help you go back to normal! Whatever is normal for you and your age, etc. Therefore if you have a hard time with sweets or carbs, you will still have problems on meds. So if you had to diet before surgery, you will still have to follow Atkins lifestyle!

Many eating plans are following Atkins if you notice. It is just Atkins with a few tweaks and a different name. Do not be discouraged at gaining, because almost everyone gains eventually after T surgery. That is because we are not watching it and we feel so much better and we eat too much.

Just put on the brakes. I am now at 166 and want to lose 20.
    Well, that is my update.
    Thyroid surgery Feb. 09
    Highest weight- 175 lbs Aug. 14, 2009
    Induction started Aug. 30, 2009
    166 lbs, Sept. 10, 2009

Goal 140 lbs. by Thanksgiving

5.6.5", 60 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Amalfi Girl View Post
    I'm going to be getting a thyroidectimy and I've heard such contradictory things. Some people say that after you're on the meds it's as if you were a person with "high metabolism" so that it should be easier to lose weight on the program, others say it is insanely hard to lose anything after the thyroid is out. It's very confusing to me and making me nervous. This thread helps, and I hope more people post on it with their experience.
    It is not insanely hard to lose. It all depends on how you were before surgery. I had a hard time losing BEFORE surgery. I was not motivated and my feet hurt terribly. So I was gaining.

after Surgery, the meds put you back to where you would be if you had never had a tumor or surgery. My growth, altho benign was using up all the blood hormone to grow itself. And I had not much left for my body to function.
    I do think the synthroid and cytomel make your metabolism go faster. But I am now 62 and my metab is naturally slowed down.

So I can't count on the meds to do the trick. I have to actively diet. Exercise will also be a big help. 3 times a week get on a tread mill or go walk outside. Don't get discouraged. These are early days for you.

I started out on Levo and switched to brand name Synthroid. For me it works better. My weight has gone from 175 to 144 then up to 150s back down to 144 and now up to 160s. That is because the cytomel makes me hungrier I feel.
    But I also have more energy too.

If your doc does not work well with you, find a young doc who will listen and who realizes that lab reports don't always tell the tale. It is "how do I feel on this med?"
    We could all stand to cut what we eat by half. Do that, and splurge one day on the weekends. This method works very well for most people. And Atkins is so easy to follow.

One more thing. I take my synthroid at 3:30 in the morning, it is in my bathroom. when I get up to go to bathroom I take it. I ahve it all set up. I does not keep me up. It is slow acting. Now if I took cytomel at 3:30 I'd be up at 5 because it works in about 2 hours.

I take mine at that time because I am sure my stomach is empty. I am also considering taking it at bedtime as long as I have not eaten in one hour. I cannot take either one in the morning because I want coffee first.
    Thyroid surgery Feb. 09
    Highest weight- 175 lbs Aug. 14, 2009
    Induction started Aug. 30, 2009
    166 lbs, Sept. 10, 2009

Goal 140 lbs. by Thanksgiving

5.6.5", 60 years old.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast