Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Atkins after thyroidectomy

• Display

Default Re: Atkins after thyroidectomy

Hi all,

I've been gone a long time but trying to get back on track. I was just diagnosed with high blood sugar and going to be tested for Type 2 Diabetes. I put on quite a bit of weight this last year due to my thyroid meds just not working well. I've been back on Atkins about 5 days now and going for my Hemoglobin A1C test tomorrow. Also have high cholesterol.

Some things I have learned since I was here last...for me anyway Synthroid does not work. I was on it for 6 months and my hair fell out, I gained weight and also gained a fybromyalgic symptoms along with being hypothyroid. I switched to Armour thyroid and got better for a while but then they changed the formula and it didn't work well anymore so I switched to Naturethroid which is better but I've found out when you have no thyroid there are a lot of side issues like adrenal fatigue and vitamin deficiencies that have to be addressed. There is a good site call Stop the Thyroid Madness dot com that is very helpful for anyone who has had total thyroidectomy or just severely hypo-thyroid.

Will check back in as I make progress.

PS...the weight numbers in my sig are no longer applicable but i dont remember how to change them.
    Re-start date 2/14/12

225/223/145

Blog Entries
    Images

Nice to see you back.
    Sorry to hear about you struggling to find the right fit for you.
    Glad you found something that works.

atkins should help you with the other issues you mention

To change your stats look under Setting and then Edit Profile.

Thanks...honestly just with the 5 days I've been on induction I already feel somewhat better. Actually felt like going for a walk today. Lately all I want to do is rest so that was a big thing for me which could have had to do with the sugar problem as much as anything. Hopefully each day will bring a little more energy although today I did slip up a bit on my carb count but not too badly.
    Re-start date 2/14/12

225/223/145

Blog Entries

Nice to see you back. Sorry to hear about all the struggles you have been through but do appreciate you sharing your experience with everything. My thyroid is ok right now but keep a close watch on it due to a cyst.

Hope you continue to feel better. Good luck with the rest of your induction and do keep us updated.

5'6", 45/F, Mom of 3 boys Army wife Highest weight:198lbs/Lowest:125lbs/Current:144lbs

Blog Entries

I got the entire thyroid out in late Feb and just started levothyroxine last week. I hope it helps because I have no energy to exercise, and even though I am doing Atkins I cannot lose weight. I hope the thyroid hormone will get me back to where I have energy to exercise and metabolism to lose on Atkins.
    5'11" 32 yo Female
    Trying since 1/1/2010

268/220.6/180>

First mini-goal: 214 (no longer "obese" BMI)
    Second mini-goal: 202 (lowest adult weight)
    Third mini-goal: Onederland
    Ultimate goal: 180

Hi All, I'm new here and have enjoyed reading the comments today. I lost my thyroid to cancer 15 years ago, and have been on Levo since. I have a difficult time remembering to take the medication and didn't really realize for years that I shouldn't be taking it with food in the morning. Just was not paying attention. I'm one week in on Atkins, have lost 10 pds and 5 1/2 inches, walking 1 mile daily so far and committed to taking my medication every day! Now I'm sure it will work. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all as we lose weight together. I'm at 284 goal weight is 160.

Hi, so glad someone posted recently in this subject, I am starting again on Atkins. I am glad to see someone with the same issue of having a total thyroidectomy have success. I know one thing for sure that since my surgery, I have not gained any weight which is a good thing, but I have not lost any of the weight I gained from my thyroid issues combined with steriods. I do not take steriods anymore due to the weight gain, my body just does not seem to handle it well at all, but I have been in pain and I am not sure if it is my weight now or the issues I had before. The doctors said I would lose my weight.....still "weighting" to lose something. I am at 218 and my goal is 122, but I could be happy with anything,lol. I wish you much success and hope that we can support each other in this.

4Angels
    "It's better to be natural than normal"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123