Thread: Hashimoto's and heart rate ....

• Display

Blog Entries

Default Hashimoto's and heart rate ....

I don't know if anyone reads this regularly, or if the readers remember me. I'm a newer diagnosed Hashimoto's pt and also think I have issues with gluten intolerance. In any case ... my meds have been pretty stable the few months, but after a week on induction I feel like I need to run, jump .... I'm wired like crazy and my heart rate is high (95+) unless I'm lying down. If I'm walking or doing anything that requires the slightest bit of energy (stairs, bending over, walking a little faster than my grandmother) it jumps to the 120s and above, depending on my effort. Anyone have experience with this?
    Barbie
    172/164.0/150
    Minigoals
    Goal#1: 165; Walking 30" every day. MET 4/11/11
    Goal#2: Survive Boot Camp MET 4/10/11
    Goal#3: Survive Cheat Free April
    Goal#4: 158; Interval Training 3x/week.
    Goal#5: 150; Couch to 5K

Default Re: Hashimoto's and heart rate ....

I would talk to your doctor and see what they think just in case. I'm not sure this Way of Eating would cause your heart rate to go up that much different from normal (unless you're not sure what was normal), but it may be something you want checked and want to monitor. If you are losing weight, you may need to adjust your medication too. I did at least once during my weight loss.

But it could be that a dramatic switch to this Way of Eating (which is very ideal for thyroid issues) has your body really liking it, including the energy from fat burning, losing weight, finally getting good nutrition that it likes, etc. and has the heart working away.

My heart rate tends to be a bit high (up to 120s with little effort, 140 with 2.5mph walking), but I'm not sure if it's due to the thyroid condition or a heart condition (mitral valve prolapse) that I have. So it sounds like I may be similar to you. I've asked my cardiologist and he said to monitor it and as long as it settles back down while resting (under 100s) and doesn't go racing without effort, it should be okay. But that's me. You should check with your doctor just to be sure
    347/182/150 ~ 5'2" OWL Rung 9

Female/Hypothyroidism/Arthritis/Fibromyalgia - If I can lose weight on this, so can you!
    bizzlekitty's journal My Before and During pics

Blog Entries

Thanks for the answer. I agree with your assessment, and do believe I will need medication adjustment. I have blood work and appt soon. Again, thanks.
    Barbie
    172/164.0/150
    Minigoals
    Goal#1: 165; Walking 30" every day. MET 4/11/11
    Goal#2: Survive Boot Camp MET 4/10/11
    Goal#3: Survive Cheat Free April
    Goal#4: 158; Interval Training 3x/week.
    Goal#5: 150; Couch to 5K

you will definitely need your meds adjusted. The same thing happened to me. I take nature-throid, non synthetic thyroid, and i was having chest pains and racing heart, and some palpitations too. It turns out that with out all the sugar and carbs, your body processes med much more efficiently , who knew. lol! you might also want to have your magnesium level checked, it may be low.
    ~Niko~
    170.5/150/163.5
    /weight-loss/wo2zw9r/]