Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Atkins after thyroidectomy

• Display

Default Atkins after thyroidectomy

Hi all, I'm new with some questions. I recently had a total thyroidectomy and have started gaining weight. I started Atkins today. Along with my thyroid meds I have to take calcium 4 times a day due to low calcium. I went and bought some sugar free Tums today and didnt notice until later that they contain Aspartame. The regular ones contain sugar, so I dont know what to do. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Re-start date 2/14/12

225/223/145

Default Re: Atkins after thyroidectomy

Hi Carleybee-I'm new also and had my thyroid removed a lot of years ago. Every year I have gained and it is so hard for me to lose. I am hoping Atkins will work for me. I can't offer any real help to you but we can keep track of each other thru this forum and at least offer encouragement. I really do think that not having a thyroid makes it very hard for us to burn calories but lots of doctors have told me that is not true. So. . . . But, I know that I have to lose 50 pounds so I will feel better so I will eat lots of meat, a little salad, some veges, and do a lot of walking on the treadmill at the gym. When it feels right, I will add some weight training. Let's do this! Let's lose enough weight to where we feel really, really good!!! K???

2muchbutt...haha...love the name. I've lost about 11 lbs in 2 weeks so I guess it is possible to lose. I switched from generic thyroid meds to Synthroid so hopefully it works better. I am starting to feel better...I had kind of a rough time after my surgery...went in for a parathyroidectomy and didnt know they did a total thyroidectomy until I woke up in recovery. I'm still having tingling from the low calcium but its getting better. I think my weight gain over the last 10 years was due to a malfunctioning thyroid (I had a goiter that I was unaware of until the surgery). So maybe the meds will kick in. Lets definitely keep track of each other. Have you done Atkins before? I did the original Atkins diet when it first came out years ago and lost 20 lbs. I wish I still only had 20 lbs to lose. I used to think I was fat when I weighed 150, LOL.
    Re-start date 2/14/12

225/223/145

Hi, I had a total thyroidectomy on June 16, 2009 and man did I gain weight fast. Im currently taking a recently increased dose of Synthroid. I started induction 3 days ago at 250 pounds. I am now 244 pounds. I thought it would not be possible to lose the weight because I didn't have a thyroid anymore, but I am pleased to know that I was wrong.
    Candi

Hello, Candigirl, and welcome to the Atkins Diet Bulletin Board. Since the two other people who posted in this thread haven't been on site since 2008, it is doubtful you'll hear back from them. There are plenty of us hypothyroids here, though, so no worries. You'll have plenty of company.

Glad to hear you are having success already. Yes, you can lose weight if you follow the plan and exercise, as long as your doc gets your med level in the right place for you and keeps it there. For most women, a TSH around the bottom of the range up to 1 seems best.

I didn't have a thyroidectomy, but my thyroid is likely not functioning at all anymore, so it is effectively the same as not having one. I'm on Levothroid, 150 mcgs and my TSH last lab taken was at .33 or so, right at the bottom of the range. Since I have no hyperthyroid symptoms, my doctor is ok with that.

Congratulations on your success already!

F - 5' 4.53"

Hi all. Boy do I need support from other thyroid patients. I have tons of questions.

I had one lobe removed due to a large nodule back in Feb.09.
    I was fine for 3 months and then overnight developed horrible foot and arch pain. I was frantic. I no longer exercised and the cravings began.

All I wanted to do was sit home and eat. By the time I got to my Endo for the 6 month post op visit, I had gained 17 lbs. And of course my feet, my blood work, but my overall attitude and sadness alerted him to hypo.

He started me on samples of Synthroid and then my insurance gave me the Levothryoxine. The Synthroid worked fine for about two weeks, then I developed nausea and itchiness from the Syn.

I switched to the Levo and so far i am ok on it. But losing weight is not automatic on these meds. My doc said "you'll lose weight but it may take several months to get up to speed."

Well it has been one month and I decided to go ahead and do Atkins.

So far I have lost some weight 5-10lbs, but it fluctuated recently because went on a trip and ate what we wanted.
    Now I am home and trying again.

Why is it if you are on meds you don't automatically lose? Doesn't the med make the thyroid work right again?

but, I know the meds are working because my foot pain finally disappeared in the 3rd week.
    Thyroid surgery Feb. 09
    Highest weight- 175 lbs Aug. 14, 2009
    Induction started Aug. 30, 2009
    166 lbs, Sept. 10, 2009

Goal 140 lbs. by Thanksgiving

5.6.5", 60 years old.

Blog Entries
    Images

Hi all. Boy do I need support from other thyroid patients. I have tons of questions.

I had one lobe removed due to a large nodule back in Feb.09.
    I was fine for 3 months and then overnight developed horrible foot and arch pain. I was frantic. I no longer exercised and the cravings began.

All I wanted to do was sit home and eat. By the time I got to my Endo for the 6 month post op visit, I had gained 17 lbs. And of course my feet, my blood work, but my overall attitude and sadness alerted him to hypo.

He started me on samples of Synthroid and then my insurance gave me the Levothryoxine. The Synthroid worked fine for about two weeks, then I developed nausea and itchiness from the Syn.

I switched to the Levo and so far i am ok on it. But losing weight is not automatic on these meds. My doc said "you'll lose weight but it may take several months to get up to speed."

Well it has been one month and I decided to go ahead and do Atkins.

So far I have lost some weight 5-10lbs, but it fluctuated recently because went on a trip and ate what we wanted.
    Now I am home and trying again.

Why is it if you are on meds you don't automatically lose? Doesn't the med make the thyroid work right again?

but, I know the meds are working because my foot pain finally disappeared in the 3rd week.

Thryoid meds are not diet drugs - they help you with a better metabolism but you still have to do the work. It also take a while for your body to build up to a more normal metabolism so be patient. Think about food - more as a health thing - than a thin thing.
    I am on Levo too. And am loving it. I am lucky and have a really good dose going for me that just keep my metabolism normal and I have lost weight just fine.

But sticking to the plan is a key.

Hang in there. You're on your way. Be patient with yourself. When we get a bit more mature weight does not fall off as easily as on those young ones.

Thanks so much and I guess I know that Levo isn't a license to eat as I want. I am on 75 mcg now and I think that is ok. but i still have times during the day when I poop out. And i was never like that before surgery.

Oh well. I am very glad that big old growth is gone. My Endo is young and energetic and I know he will help me if I am not on enough. But so far I am ok.

When do you take your pill? I have taken it at 5-6 am and then had to wait an hour for coffee, tea or food. that was a bummer.

Then took it at 11:00 pm like my brother does. He said he noticed when he added bran cereal to his morning his thyroid levels started falling! (he had a total thyroidectomy) So I tried that.

then i tried taking it when i got up the first time to go to bathroom in middle of night. Which would make it 3 am.

I figure after a month that I am finally getting the benefit of the end of the Synthroid and now the effect of the Levo will kick in. Since it takes how many days to work?
    Thyroid surgery Feb. 09
    Highest weight- 175 lbs Aug. 14, 2009
    Induction started Aug. 30, 2009
    166 lbs, Sept. 10, 2009

Goal 140 lbs. by Thanksgiving

5.6.5", 60 years old.

Blog Entries
    Images

I always take mine at night. There was a study some years ago that suggested this was best but it did not become the general accepted recommendation. It would interfere with some people's sleep maybe but has not impact on mine.

I think the recommended thing is in the morning like you were doing. So that is probably what you should stick to. And remember not to juggle it around. You should get into a habit and stick to it. Regularity is a key when it comes to thyroid meds.

It took me over a year to gradually build up my dose until it was right for me. It then took another year to begin feeling really well. That is because I was hypo a very long time before I was diagnosed.

Since you are probably younger than me, it is possible you will need adjustments along the way. It is not unusual for the thyroid to gradually lose function until, like mine, it just isn't doing the job anymore. Your doctor will, of course, have you tested periodically now that you are on the levo and adjust as needed. However, if you develop symptoms and feel you need an adjustment sooner, let him know. Depending on what is happening, he may want to do labs sooner.

You're not the first to think you would lose weight simply because you were being treated. A lot of people think the pounds will just melt away if they can get a thyroid prescription. As you have discovered, it doesn't work that way. Being appropriately treated just allows you to do what others who have a normally functioning thyroid can do. As liv said, you still need to follow the plan and do the work.

You can do it. If I can do it, anyone can. Up until August I averaged around a 5 lb. loss per month. I figured I probably couldn't do much better being 65 and hypothyroid. Reading this board and talking to some of the experienced Atkineers has really helped me, though. I have changed some things and managed to lose 11 pounds last month. I'm rather amazed at that.

Something I have noticed is that many people, once diagnosed hypothyroid, tend to blame that condition for everything. It is kind of understandable because the thyroid does affect the entire body and, when it is underfunctioning, it can cause a myriad of symptoms. It is good, though, to remember most symptoms can have a myriad of causes. I think we need to not automatically assume everything that goes wrong or feels bad is thyroid related.

In my case, long time undiagnosed, I needed a lot of healing time and I also needed a lot of supplements. If you're tiring easily, it may be a good idea to make sure you are getting all the nutrients you need and to supplement where you are not. I know that made a tremendous difference for me.

I also take my thyroid med in the morning when I first awaken. I recall, when I first started taking them, it bothered me to have to wait for my coffee. Now that I don't drink coffee anymore it's not a problem. Also, doing Atkins, I am seldom hungy, so waiting for breakfast isn't an issue either.

I second the recommendation, whatever time you take your levo, don't change around. Take it about the same time each day and wait to eat. My directions are clear about taking it on an empty stomach, not eating for a half hour after taking it and waiting at least four hours before taking calcium.

In time it will just become routine to take the little pill according to direction and go on with your day. I feel fortunate, if I must have a medical condition, it isn't something more difficult to manage and that tiny pill has made a huge difference in my sense of well being. I was one very ill individual before I finally held up my hand and asked my doctor for help. The difference is as dramatic as the difference between night and day. It just feels so good to finally feel good.

F - 5' 4.53"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast