Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gout and high protein diet conflict

• Display

Default Gout and high protein diet conflict

What to do? My feet are so sore - especially my toes - that I couldn't sleep the last two nights.

From what I've read, diets high in protein and fat are big contributors. I'm down a total of 30 pounds now, but this is a MAJOR problem for me.

Any ideas?

I haven't read anything in DANDR about gout - but I may have missed something - I'm looking again when I get home...
    6/1/2013 - Dr. recommends zero carb for life for ANewDawn
    6/1/2013-7/24/13 arguing with reality
    7/25/2013 - finally accepting doctor's instructions
    Breaking the addiction to carbs

Blog Entries
    Images

Default Re: Gout and high protein diet conflict

I found this on the official site.

Frequently Asked Questions About Dr. Atkins Diet from the Atkins Center

It sounds like a legitimate problem, and I hope you get solid answers that help you...

Dress size 10 -goal
    Dress size 12-current
    Dress size 20W -starting

Anybody quilt? Craft? Wanna chat about your hobby?

My accountability vow.. pics included.

Thank you for this link Mom...very useful info for me.
    Gigi

Blog Entries
    Images

Interestingly, after posting this I have developed what appears to be gout. I have never had any type of arthritis and I don't feel old enough for this!

I had been eating about 4 oz of liver every day for a while. I have cut that out, and am eliminating other 'high purine' foods. (Liver is one of the highest! hate than since I love the stuff...)
    Also ramping up the vitamin C. I have only one joint affected, the joint behind my left big toe. It doesn't hurt all the time, just flares from time to time.

Gigi, how has yours been?

Dress size 10 -goal
    Dress size 12-current
    Dress size 20W -starting

Well Mom -I do have something going on but can't for sure say what it is. My feet are terrible and need surgery for bunions which I have been avoiding for a long time-- being somewhat hyperactive and dreading being laid up. Right knee is brutal as well as right pointer finger (which I broke with a hammer in a few places 20 years ago). Had a lot of sports injuries- torn achilles left tendon and calf facsia, torn right tricepts, dislocated right shoulder etc so it's hard for me to know if this is some trauma induced arthritis or wear and tear with age or indeed developing gout?? I take lipitor too and that can also be related to muscle pain so who knows?? Wonder if replacing the animal fats consumed as much as possible with the healthy olive, canola, flax etc would make a difference?? Glucosamine is good stuff, also find aspercreme is a God sent, especially rubbed into the feet and hands.
    Hope you feel better soon. (Did you just stub your toe or something and forget maybe?)
    Gigi
    Last edited by gooniegirl; October 22nd, 2008 at 04:49 PM. Reason: I'm a little slow today-

Blog Entries
    Images

Hi, Gigi, don't know if you are still troubled with your feet. I am pretty convinced mine is gout, but it is much better after kicking the liver and eating more berries. I talked about it with a chiropractor today, he tested and said my system is very acidic, going to be getting more info on that. I hope you are doing well!

Dress size 10 -goal
    Dress size 12-current
    Dress size 20W -starting

Hi Mom,
    Alfalfa and kelp taken in combination will help to make your system Ph more base. My feet and knee are still not great. Thanks for asking and I hope you find some solutions for your discomfort. Have a lovely Holiday!

Gigi

Gooniegirl and others having pain and taking statin drugs (zocor, lipitor, crestor, etc) please get off of them for at least three days. You'll know by then if they are causing the pain. I was in agony for months until I discovered the drugs were causing it. Muscle/ joint pain and weakness are a serious side effect of statin drugs. God bless you and feel better soon.

Blog Entries

I really feel that any medical advise should come from a physician, especially taking meds. I am a cybercondriac and will google every ailment. Last year I had lung cancer, ovarian cancer, bone cancer, pneumonia, gout and then my doctor told me to stay off google and listen to her instead. WHAT a concept.
    Anyway, talk to your doc and see what they say. If its the protein/fat you can lower that somewhat by increasing your veggies

41 pounds down and counting

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else. - Yogi Berra

LOL! You're right. I'm no physician nor do I play one on TV. But a lot of doctors blow off medicine's side effects and this is what worked for me.
    You don't necessarily have to show up on the test they have to for this problem to still be hurt by it.

If you ever suffered this problem you might be desperate to find some solution. The pain can be terrible. There are other great cholesterol that don't have these side effects. At least talk to your doc about it. JMHO!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast