Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to Running/Jogging

• Display

Default Re: New to Running/Jogging

I started the c25k program this week, suffering with blisters but padding them and cracking on with it

Blog Entries
    Images

have you had your shoes fitted for you Victoria? That may help
    Congrats on starting C25K The programme rocks

I haven't Liv but plan to invest in a new pair and have them fitted, I'm really enjoying it and feel stronger each time out, thanks for the encouragement!

Currently in Katy, TX. But I AM CANADIAN!

Good shoes go along way. If your feet feel good then the rest falls into place.
    It's no longer about loosing weight, It's about feeling healthy!

HW 188/ SW/165/ CW ?/ Goal/ Life time of feeling good

Can you all give me any information of advice about how to about running on a treadmill?

I was wondering what you would set the treadmill to as per mph, when it says "walk slow and easy" and "run".

I was looking at the Learning to Run 10K program.

Any advice? I would love to be able to run outside, but with 6 children, sometimes that is near impossible!

~ Caroline ~

Blog Entries
    Images

I have a treadmill at home and I sometimes use the one at the gym. I like them for interval sessions or bad weather when I can't go out due to snow or sweltering heat. I also have kids so when my hubby is working and I am on kid duty, it makes sense to have the tready handy. I learned how to run almost completely on the TM. I owe it a lot. My very first run, I was going about 5mph just to see how long I could do that...since I had been already doing intervals with kickboxing (Turbo Jam is great stuff for that) I was able to run for a full 20 mins on 5mph! I was hooked from then on. My suggestion is perhaps around that speed, 5mph (12 minute mile) to see how comfortable it feels for running and then press the up or down speed buttons until you feel comfortable with the run/walk segments. You'll probably notice they may change as you progress! The day I was able to run at 6mph for longer than a few seconds I was so excited!!!! The treadmill got me from 12 min miles to 10 min miles in a few months. It helped me be able to gauge my speed and get used to what certain paces felt like to my body. Plus it made me work harder. There's no cheating the TM! Now when I am out on the road, sometimes I am too slow and I don't challenge myself enough so I find getting back on the TM every so often keeps my pacing "tuned" and I can challenge myself again and get in better shape as I go. It's been 2.5 yrs but I still love to run! Welcome to the running world!
    -Michelle
    -Michelle
    Life is better in motion!!!
    219/194/172, 5'10" tall 37yr old female, mom of 6 and full time tech geek.
    Goal size: 10, Current: 12/14. Almost there!

i have been a weight lifter since i was 16. i am 36 now and recently, over the last 6 years, put on 100 unwanted pounds. about 9 months ago i started to switch from weight training to more cardio to help shed this weight. i started by doing the elliptical machine and walking on the treadmill. i slowly started running at 5.0 for 1/4 mile, increased that to a 1/2 mile, then to a full mile and before i knew it i was running a 5k in roughly 31 minutes.

there are 2 things that have helped me tremendously. #1 is i went to nike's website and purchased a pair of air max running shoes. they were $160 but probably the best money i have spent in some time. they are so comfortable and i can't stress how important it is to have a comfortable sneaker on if you want to run distances like a 5k or more. the second thing i did that helped me was i purchased a polar heart rate monitor. this keeps track of my heart rate as well as calories burned among other things. i like running with it because i can monitor my heart rate. there have been times where i thought i was really busting it and after looking at my watch realized i wasn't so i would reach down a little deeper and push harder to make sure i was maintaining a heart rate of about 140-150. it's also real rewarding after a tough run to see how many calories you burned. i got a beginners monitor and it cost me about $120 but it was a great investment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12