Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diabetic **** and ignorance.

• Display

Blog Entries

Default Re: Diabetic **** and ignorance.

>> I like the basic REAL foods that this WOE insists upon.>>

And yet, people argue with this way of eating!!!
    J.

Your life will never change until you change your choices.

Atkins since 2003, maintenance since 2005

Quote Originally Posted by atkinsgal08 View Post
    >> I like the basic REAL foods that this WOE insists upon.>>

And yet, people argue with this way of eating!!!
    Oh I agree 100% if I dwell on the misinformation i was fed (with a ton of carbs) for 25 yrs I get angry...I have to use that anger to motivate me to excercise and stay under 30 carbs a day...it works...

I think sometimes people use anger as an excuse...we've all been misinformed....sadly enough but by not changing what youre doing...the turkies win and we dont....I prefer to win by being healthy on Atkins!
    No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars or sailed an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit...Helen Keller

female 52 5'6"

mini goal 1 115kgs/253lbs....***113 today!! 2nd october 2009
    mini goal 2 100kgs
    /220lbs
    onederland!
    90kgs/onederland
    mini goal 3 80kgs/76lbs
    ideal weight 70 kgs/154lbs
    trying to stick to weighing only when I see my doctor once a month.

Quote Originally Posted by d33na View Post
    Oh I agree 100% if I dwell on the misinformation i was fed (with a ton of carbs) for 25 yrs I get angry...I have to use that anger to motivate me to excercise and stay under 30 carbs a day...it works...

I think sometimes people use anger as an excuse...we've all been misinformed....sadly enough but by not changing what youre doing...the turkies win and we dont....I prefer to win by being healthy on Atkins!
    I mentioned to the dietitian that I was on induction and was eating at or less than 20 grams per day and I thought she was going to call security and have me committed. I really felt great when I shed close to 60 pounds.. I just cannot figure out why the heck I traded it all to gain it all back and feel horrible?!!?!

I had a heck of a salad with tuna and mayo tonight! MAN I missed this food!! I am of course hiding from all the christmas cr@p in the other room.

i make a mean cheesecake these days....I dont eat the crust...not a big deal feels better to be clear headed and lose weight...and have energy...

im lucky the diabetic nurse educater at the hospital is very Atkins friendly (as is my GP now)
    No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars or sailed an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit...Helen Keller

female 52 5'6"

mini goal 1 115kgs/253lbs....***113 today!! 2nd october 2009
    mini goal 2 100kgs
    /220lbs
    onederland!
    90kgs/onederland
    mini goal 3 80kgs/76lbs
    ideal weight 70 kgs/154lbs
    trying to stick to weighing only when I see my doctor once a month.

I think the majority of diabetic educators/physicians disagree with Atkins not because of the low carb but the high fat. I am not saying that to justify their thinking, but if you mention a low fat/low carb you seem to hear much better feedback. At least that has been my experience chatting with some.

I once had a nurse at the ER tell me I was having a heart attack and "destroyed my heart with that Atkins fad." Turns out I had the stomach flu and was simply dehydrated. When I got the labs back at my primary care from the ER visit, he mentioned how phenomenal they were despite being dehydrated. Cholesterol down, triglycerides down, weight down, BP down. Told me he had no issue with me continuing the diet.
    Male

Max 250
    Goal 195

Minigoals
    240- 9/15/2009
    239 (10% goal weight loss)
    230-
    228- (20% goal weight loss)
    220-
    210-
    200-
    195-

Quote Originally Posted by chadcs View Post
    I think the majority of diabetic educators/physicians disagree with Atkins not because of the low carb but the high fat. I am not saying that to justify their thinking, but if you mention a low fat/low carb you seem to hear much better feedback. At least that has been my experience chatting with some.

the fact that any diabetic educator would sucggest low fat low carb lets you know they are uneducated on how the human body works.

Excees above that which is needed for grow and repair protein intake and anything over 10% of total cals will give this excess will be fractured to the ntrogen ring and the hydrocarbon part for sotage and removal once body storage is exceeded and a few days on a high protein diet you will have stored all you can.

that hydrocarbon part is for most components of protein metabolized in the liver to glucose the enamy of all diabetics thus a low fat low carb diet will raise the diabetics blood glucose level. the only way to low carb low fat is with lots of medication to control blood glucose

low carb, high fat is the only way to go for dietary blood sugar control for type IIs.
    by the book atkinseer

[I]

What I was trying to say without mentioning it directly was that I have heard many recommend South Beach as an alternative to someone wanting to try Atkins.

What I find odd is how even if you have all the good labs and other metrics you will still hear something along the lines of "Oh, I am sure one day we will find a lab that shows it is bad for you so why take that chance." Ah the joys of objective medicine.

For me, it is all about the results.
    Male

Max 250
    Goal 195

Minigoals
    240- 9/15/2009
    230-
    220-
    210-
    200-
    195-

My doctor is an Atkins supporter, seems like everyone else in the chain on the diabetic/nutrition side is just vehemently against the mere mention of cutting carbs. I was told several times that carbs should be 50-60 percent of my daily diet. I just finally got tired of fighting them.. now, ill just lie to them and tell my doctor the truth.

That is what bothers me about many physicians and especially nutritionists. They learned something in school and cannot fathom that future research just may show that they were told the wrong thing. Medicine evolves as we investigate more. You would think they would welcome these changes enthusiastically as it offers a much better chance of long-term success.
    Male

Max 250
    Goal 195

Minigoals
    240- 9/15/2009
    230-
    220-
    210-
    200-
    195-

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzy View Post
    My doctor is an Atkins supporter, seems like everyone else in the chain on the diabetic/nutrition side is just vehemently against the mere mention of cutting carbs. I was told several times that carbs should be 50-60 percent of my daily diet. I just finally got tired of fighting them.. now, ill just lie to them and tell my doctor the truth.
    I would hope you could get your doc to write a low carb diet plan for you so you don't have to lie to the other parts of your treatment chain.

I know you don't mean to, but by allowing them to believe you are getting better eating high carb you are reinforcing their wrong ideas about the safety of the higher carb eating for diabetics.

I wonder how many others in your treatemnt plan are doing the same thing?
    by the book atkinseer

[I]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast