Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diabetic **** and ignorance.

• Display

Blog Entries

Default Re: Diabetic **** and ignorance.

I stopped going to the nutritionist because I just couldn't listen her talking about "my way or the highway" type of approach to eating. When I was eating her version of "15 carbs" daily I was obsessed with my next "meal" ..... the way she counted carbs was every 15 carbs in food equaled 1 counted carb on the program....all I did was eat and because of it I initially lost 12 pounds then stopped and didn't go any further. After I started Atkins my A1C started coming down and I started feeling so much better - I don't obsess about food anymore and eat just about anything and everything I want to! My endocrinologist isn't a believer in Atkins but as long as my A1C and cholesterol numbers are on track she doesn't say anything to me. I figure I'm saving my insurance company money by not going to the nutritionist and I'm saving myself a $30.00 co-pay.

How have you been Fozzy? I'm sorry I haven't been around - I'm doing better, just had a mini meltdown but I'm back now and hope to see more of you!
    My name is Carole
    I am a human being
    I'm going to take it 1 hour at a time, 3 meals a day, 1 day after another.
    I've quit stressing over the finish line so I can do better from the start to the finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzy View Post
    Well, here we are again. Worse off than I've probably ever been. . I caught **** for atkins by the dietitian at the hospital and was shamed into giving it all up. !
    hey chin up!!!!
    I found out I had diabetes in oct. was a real big wake up call. probably like you sneaking by on previous exams of not registering diabetic, as I have been on & off atkins for many years.
    this time it just scared the **** out of me! I don't want to die/ go blind or lose a foot. I finally got my act together ( so far).
    you have to do it for you. I know it all suckks not to eat favorite food ( oh man do I miss pepsi & cheetos). but luckily I have found out I can still eat pizza & baked potatos if I plan them right.
    when I was told to go to a dietician I thought,, yea right..... I just know what they will say. but I don't know how lucky I was but the hospital dietician really believes in atkins. I was shocked. I have a lot of support from her & learned a lot of new things about supplements to take.
    many books out there of top diabetes books, follow an atkins similar plan. your library card is your friend!!!
    I have lost weight, but still look the mirror & see a fat old person, I have got to start thinking for me, ( also) that i am getting somewhere.
    please take care of yourself. being on boards like this really helps!

Well, as I said in another post, "my" doctor suggested I lose weight to control my newly found diabetes... by "not eating till I'm full, but stopping when I'm still a little hungry".

Wow. I went on dozens of diets and besides Montignac, I was hungry like **** with every single one of them, and always hungry when not on a diet too (thanks the carbs...)!!!

Now my sugar levels are getting lower and lower, I'm not quite "there" yet but after less than a month on Atkins, and not following "by the book" at first because, well, I hadn't read it yet , I feel a lot better, I'm not hungry like I used to be, getting off "carbs" has been a lot easier than I thought, and I only suffer from the occasional craving.

Definitely not interested in going back to my old ways and my ignorance of what carbs do to us, reading more and more about carbs, fats, etc. and fighting a bit to convince people that low-fat, high-carbs is not the solution...
    Yes, I can!

Female/married /36

Hi everyone!

I'm so glad I found this thread!

I was diagnosed with Type 2 about 4 years ago, but basically ignored it for a couple of years. But, I started to feel progressively worse! Finally, in September last year I went to a different Dr. He did my blood tests and I was shocked. My A1C was almost 9%, Cholesterol was 287, Triglycerides were 242 and the rest of my numbers were just as bad.

I had done Atkins successfully a few years ago, but had gained most of the weight back. So, when my Dr. wanted to put me on all kinds of meds.... I asked him to just give me 3 months to see if I could improve my numbers. I told him I was going to do Atkins, and he gave me a sympathetic look.... like he was saying, ok, but it won't work
    3 Months later I went back. My A1C was 6% My cholesterol was 223, and basically all my other numbers were down. Plus, I had lost 27 lbs. He was thrilled, but still a little skeptical. On my last blood test my A1c was 5.8% and my total cholesterol was 203. All my other numbers were at normal levels and I had lost almost 40lbs!! He said since my last appt. he had been doing some research and had started suggesting Atkins to some of his patients. I had made him a believer!! I feel so good about this since he is the head Professor at a Medical School for Diabetes. So, my point to all this rambling is don't give up. Let the numbers do the talking!

I still have about 20lbs to go and then my Dr. thinks I will be off my already greatly reduced diabetes medicine!

Take care,
    Valarie

Blog Entries
    Images

Valerie good for you. Thanks for convincing a doctor. We need those to come over to our side

Thanks Liv!

Blog Entries

Fozzy - how are things going for you? You haven't posted here for awhile and I was concerned we lost you. Valarie, Caroline and I talk on a thread I started a few weeks ago - look for it and join us if you'd like to. We'd love to have more people chiming in.

Hope everything is ok with you and you are just busy.
    My name is Carole
    I am a human being
    I'm going to take it 1 hour at a time, 3 meals a day, 1 day after another.
    I've quit stressing over the finish line so I can do better from the start to the finish.

Bernstein is great. I mix the info I gained from Atkins, Bernstein, MF and bodybuilding. I can go 3 meals, with big gaps, like Bernstein if I'm not real active or I can eat 3 meals and 2 snacks when I'm going to be real active. Do not follow ADA, the don't know what they are talking about! I do not take drugs, but I did take Metformin for about 3 months. It made my stomach hurt and messed me up. I'd rather eat right, exercise and take supplements rather than give my money away to drug companies that are going to kill me with the side effects of their medicines.

Well, folks.. Not sure if anyone remembers me or not... Still battling all the things that were there before.. Started the Induction all over again.. hoping to start feeling better..

Hi Fozzy,

Welcome back. IF you don't mind my asking, what trips you up? What is it that gets you off plan? I have repeated multiple times but this year I am doing much better. Am hoping you have figured it out, too.
    Jill
    I DID HAVE 100 pounds gone and WAS setting up residence in One-derland.
    I was No longer OBESE. Just Overweight. I want to be back there again and am on my way.

Don't trade what you want MOST for what you want right now.

Not losing on OWL? Need to focus yourself?
    Check out the Cheat Free Challenge Group
    http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...at-free-group/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast